Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve ski hire and ski area recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're travelling to Megeve in February. We are two beginner skiiers and two more experienced (one child level 3/4 skiier, one adult snowboarder). I'm in the process of trying to book private ski lessons for the two beginners and need to choose the ski area as there seem to be a few in the town. Our apartment in about 15 minutes walk from the lifts (on Rte nationale) so I hope we can rent skiis from a location near to the lifts and with ski lockers so we can leave them there at the end of the day. So I'm trying to work out which is the best lift/ski area/hire shop combo so I can book lessons and we can all be in a group when we travel up to ski each day. Could anyone advise please? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would help if you specify where your accommodation is. If you're there in French school holidays you might find limited options for lessons.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Route Nationale is just the main road, the D1212. I would plan on using the buses instead of walking.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I was wondering which way up or down the valley. If it's French school hols the availability of private lessons (other than at lunchtime) might be the key constraint.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's French school holidays I'd be tempted to rent a car and drive to Praz sur Arly. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The specific location is near the McDonalds on Rte nationale, 74120. I've found lessons without issue (we're happy to have them at lunchtime, that's not a great concern), I just need to tell them where we want to meet hence the question about the location.

We don't appear to be on a bus route from any info I've found, but its a short walk and looks pretty flat so more than happy to walk, just don't want to do it in ski boots expecially with two kids in tow, hence wanting the lockers. We've specifically booked in town so we don't have to drive as parking becomes another problem then. Thanks

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 15-12-23 18:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

parking becomes another problem

indeed, parking in Megeve can be a pain. Can the ski school not advise you on meeting place and proximity of hire shop with lockers?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Details might depend on the weather, as there isn't always snow at resort level.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That would make it hard to book in advance Pam. I'm going to have to take a punt or we'll end up with nothing. Which is the better direction to head in?

i've asked the ski school but haven't heard back yet. I'd like to get some research in place myself too. Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you've booked ski lessons, I'd give the ski school a ring (avoid 12 - 2 French time!) as they are probably very busy right now with everything getting ready to open up. Obviously if you are complete beginners you'll not be able to use a chairlift to get up the mountain at first. There's a Snowhead called Idris who is working as a pisteur in Megeve and knows the area very well. He's probably been working all day, but if you sent him a Private Message with your query he might well be able to give you some precise information. I've driven through Megeve lots of times but not skied there much. But there are some other SHs who know it a lot better, who might be along this evening to help.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Pam. We're not complete complete beginners - we'll have done a few hours of indoor snow lessons, but we won't have used the chair lifts before. I will try Idris
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m not a megeve expert by any means but if my memory serves me correctly, I wouldn’t fancy walking from the Macdonald’s to any of the lifts, ironically I think you may be the same distance to 3 separate uplifts:

Princess bubble up to mont ‘d arbois
Chamois bubble up to rocharbois
Then you have Jaillet up to Combolux side.

Best look at what free ski shuttle buses routes run past your accommodation.

But please don’t worry, you’re not in the middle of nowhere
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As far as I can see, none of the shuttle busses run past the property. Nothing runs in that direction at all. It's only a 15 minute walk to the lifts, which is hardly far as long as we're not in boots or carrying skis. We walk further up steep hills to school every day so we'll be fine with the walk.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know about storing gear at the lifts, but if you are staying near McDonalds, then Jaillet looks like your closest lift. That side isn't linked to the Mont d'arbois/Rochebrune side by lifts, but there are buses that go from there to Mont d'Arbois. I think if you wanted to go to the Chamois (for the Rochebrune side) you would have to walk because the middle of town is pedestrianised, so the buses can't get there. There is a lift that goes across the valley that links the Rochebrune and Mont d'Arbois areas - I've always known it as the Shoebox.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, jaillet is closer but only by a few minutes. I think 12 minutes walk to Jaillet and 15 to the Caboche. Prob easier to walk the extra few minutes and just to head to the larger ski area as better for our confident skier and snowboarder. Was also easier to book lessons at Caboche. I’ve been in touch with my Airbnb host who's been really helpful and they’ve confirmed we can leave skis and boots at any of the ski hire shops so we should be fine. Thanks for all the help, I think I’ve got everything planned now.
latest report
@Flipjango, I think you've made the right decision.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy