Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for novices at Winterberg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Visiting Winterberg in February after previously been to morzine last Christmas when ther was no snow!!

We are very much novices. Is there such a thing as a ski guide to show you round for half a day to familiarise ourselves, does anyone have recommendations for ski hire there? Also any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SH.

Winterberg is a small resort. Trail map is easy to follow. Lifts go up. Blue, red, and black come down.

If a guide is a must-have, best to email the local tourist office (here).

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eh oh! .
Have you been there , do you know what type of lifts are there or is it a mixture. Apprehensive about button lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Noviceskier44, I've not been but have considered it. There's useful information here about lift types and a link to the ski map (which I found amazingly difficult to find). It looks like it's mainly chairs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Noviceskier44 wrote:
Eh oh! .
Have you been there , do you know what type of lifts are there or is it a mixture. Apprehensive about button lifts.

You can see from the icons on the map posted above which are chairs and which are buttons. Certainly looks like you should be able to avoid buttons. I'd be more apprehensive about lack of snow considering the top of the resort is only at 800m
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sugarmoma666, thank you , very helpful. I looked at lots of sites but never seen the one you suggested.
@Whitegold, thanks. I got the idea of the map, my concern was get a lift up somewhere and not being confident to ski down!!! I have also emailed them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:
I'd be more apprehensive about lack of snow considering the top of the resort is only at 800m

Yeah, honestly that does feel like a risk!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Noviceskier44, it sounds as if you would be better off having lessons for the week, rather than being so anxious about going up somewhere and unable to ski down. Lessons are generally enjoyable and an instructor will find the right runs (and the best snow) for your level. You could probably also "hire" a ski instructor for half a day, or a day, to show you round. But the point about altitude is a good one!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also, if the snow is OK, I've heard (never went - might actually have heard itolder threads here!) that Winterberg can be crowded at weekends and other peak periods, since it is very close to major population centers.
If you are already committed to Winterberg, there is not much you can do about it, and I am sure it is still enjoyable.
But for future reference, if distance is key for you, the Jura resorts are maybe 30 min further from southern Egland by road, less crowded, and higher up (still far from snow-sure).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update.
I’ve been and as mentioned above there was no snow!!! Did go out one day but it was more like ice than snow. As a beginner not the best!!! Looking now at La Plagnefor next March. Eh oh!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Noviceskier44, La Plagne is a hugely safer bet! Use the collective knowledge of this site and you'll get all the info you need! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The webcams at Winterberg look horrific.

https://www.skiliftkarussell.de/en/current/webcams/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, I'd agree that La Plagne is a much safer bet. It may be more than the OP needs, though, so worth looking at some of the smaller, cheaper options that get good feedback on here, like Val Cenis and Les Saisies. I've only been to the second of those but can vouch for it being great for beginners and everything being cheaper than in the mega resorts like La Plagne.

As others have suggested, if the OP is a beginner, getting some good lessons, or at least a private on the first day, would be very beneficial. Without experience, it's very hard to know which runs to take, as there's much more to it than colour.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy