Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone taken snow chains in their cabin hand luggage on 'easy jet' to Lyon/Alps?? Mine are well within the size and weights limits advised for under seat hand luggage. However i do not want them confiscated at checkout or security!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, airlines and security services love to see their passengers with heavyweight deadly killer metal chains in their carry-on baggage wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help -- But, Welcome !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Out of interest, what is the purpose behind taking them? Are they for a rental car?

You’ll see posts from members who have done this but only via luggage in the hold, not carry-on - they've looked-up the rental car they reserved and checked the tyre size; bought matching chains to take in hold luggage; carried them OK; and used them with no problems. Some have just thrown them away after returning the car while others have taken them home. I just think it's worth pointing out some of the challenges involved:

Any one snow chainset fits only a specific set of tyre sizes and you can’t guarantee that the rental car will have that tyre size. And even if they match the rental car tyre size, this doesn’t mean they can be used, because there may not be enough space for them to rotate safely. Many rental cars carry wheels that can’t take chains, as I discovered last week at GVA when renting a quite ordinary Citroën C4. So the whole exercise could be a waste of time, and you’re left with a rental car without chains and a chainset you’ve lugged out there that doesn’t fit.

What other SnowHeads have reported doing is waiting until they get their car, and then buying chains en route that exactly match the tyre size they have. They can also check in the Owners’ Manual that the wheels they have can take chains. Even then, however …

If you put your/purchased chains on a rental car that nominally can’t take them and cause any damage, don’t be surprised if you’re charged not just for the repairs but the lost income while the car is out of service. And if you have an accident while the car has chains on it not supplied by the retailer, don’t be surprised if this invalidates any insurance cover. Because you were told when collecting that the car doesn’t take chains but went ahead and put them on without authorisation.

Of course, the rental agent may be telling you the car can’t take chains simply because they don’t have any spare sets; or it’s very busy and they’re too pressed for time to bother checking; or they’re too mean to keep a big enough stock; or they’re trying to get you to upgrade to an AWD vehicle. But they could also be entirely truthful in telling you that the car just can’t take them. You don’t know.

If you have a private car at your destination then I would have thought that you’d do better just to buy locally.

The definitive answer can only really be supplied by airport security and/or the airline. So I suggest that if you decide to go the carry-on route then first contact your airline and then the airport security people.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 15-12-23 14:47; edited 6 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oldman55 What are your thoughts?

Edit: Where you are flying into in the Alps? If it's somewhere like Geneva then all rental cars should have winter tyres on during the ski season. Or are you flying somewhere where they only supply cars with summer tyres? In which case @skimastaaah 's suggestion may be applicable.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 15-12-23 14:49; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oldman55, ever thought of getting some "snow socks" with a varied application, much lighter than chains? Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As someone who had a 240v sander confiscated at security (what was I going to do? Sand the pilot to death?) I don't think a set of snow chains will get past them.

On the other hand, a sharpened pencil will. Not that it will help in snowy conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Security: "We have an incident on inbound easyJet, tool-up!"
SWAT Team: "What type?"
Security: "Passenger, possibly unhinged, armed with Cat A weapon."
SWAT Team: "Hand gun?"
Security: "Worse, a ..."
SWAT Team: "Not an automatic?"
Security: "No worse than that - sander."
SWAT Team: "Lets pray its not ..."
Security: "Yes. Roger it's an orbital."
SWAT Team: "****!"
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

On the other hand, a sharpened pencil will.

I've seen kntting needles on a plane with a woman a few seats away knitting. I've seen crutches (as in the Day of the Jackal) and metal walking sticks even though tracking poles are on the banned list. On one climbing trip the youngster operating machine called his supervisor over to to check wether a climbing rope was acceptable, but at another machine they let my wife through with the rack which has about as much metal as a snow chain.

Sorry, @Oldman55, I cannot answer your question.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy