Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 or 2 pairs of skis for Arabba?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've booked to go to the bash (which I'm still a bit vexed by as it's not the kind of thing I usually do) and so I need to book a flight. Which mean I need to work out baggage.

I have a couple of pairs of skis, well, one is more my mates but I can take them, and wondering if it's worth bringing both. It'll probably be the same cost as I can stick them in the one bag. I have a pair of rossi heros for on-piste that I think i'll def bring. But is it worth bringing a pair of 98mm all mountain ones as well? What I'd really like to do is get an off-piste lesson. If that's a possibility I'll probably bring them. If there's pretty much no chance of that I'll maybe just leave em at home.

Tempted to bring them both just for the variation but undecided. Any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure you'll find a lot of off piste skiing. First the dolomites are a dry area (compared to the rest of the alpes), meaning lots of sun, but not a lot of powder. Typically it's all or nothing, meaning meters of snow or brown/green landscapes. Doesn't matter at all on the pistes, because pistes are prepped like no where else (and the dry air helps with artificial snow making). But not so much if you are looking for tree line skiing or some shutes.

There is amazing high level off piste stuff (lots at the sella range), but for most you'll need a guide who can advice where it's good and where it's sketchy.

Anyway it's still a way off, and if you can fit 2 pairs into 1 bag, no need to make the decision now. Wait and see if we get one of those amazing dumps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take two.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When there once WAS an amazing dump lifts were closed for days and IIRC no off piste skiing allowed for even more days. Be careful what you wish for. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go on take 3, you know you want to. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
B. wrote:
I've booked to go to the bash (which I'm still a bit vexed by as it's not the kind of thing I usually do)

No need to be vexed at all, as an attendee on nunerous Birthday Bashes in Arabba I can assure you you'll have a great time. snowHead

B. wrote:

and so I need to book a flight. Which mean I need to work out baggage.
I have a couple of pairs of skis, well, one is more my mates but I can take them, and wondering if it's worth bringing both. It'll probably be the same cost as I can stick them in the one bag.

Yes, you'll need to book a flight, and the sooner the better as prices tend to rise the closer to the departure date. If you look at people's travel details on the first page you can see which flights people are using, obviously what's convenient for you depends on your particular location. If it's the same cost to bring two skis in a ski bag on your flight booking then I would have thought taking both would be the sensible option as you may get lucky with the off piste conditions. When I booked my flights with BA from Heathrow some time ago the Club Europe fare was quite reasonable bearing in mind it gives you two hold bags (one of which can be a ski bag) plus the use of the airport lounges in UK and Venice airports plus a meal on the aircraft. The Club Europe price may well be substantially more now however.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice, didn't know that about the Dolomites.

I guess you're right, will just wait and see nearer the time. And hope for just enough snow.

I'm not even that good a skier, I don't really need 2 pairs. I def don't need 3 but who knows what'll pop up on gumtree between now and then.

Ta.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
When there once WAS an amazing dump lifts were closed for days and IIRC no off piste skiing allowed for even more days. Be careful what you wish for. wink

True, we are living in the area. My girlfriend used to work in a close by Rifugio for a long time in the summer. Normally the rifugio's will open mid June, typically the guardians will go up the mountain mid/end May to start clearing everything out and prepping for the season. The COVID year, there was such an amount of snow that when we went up to Rif Boz end of May there was still 4m of snow (until the roof edge) and this is not a particulary high place (1700m), all rifugio's opened in July that year.

Nobody noticed, because it was a no skiing year, but we did some off ski touring that was amazing anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you've got the luggage space/weight allowance then probably worth putting them in. We had some snow in 2022 for the Post-BB that I had fun smashing around in...that said, the area tends to be nice pistey skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would take one all mountain ski and one piste ski that way you know you are covered concentrate most of your piste skiing on your right foot but practice on the left foot for balance in the powder.If you get bored you can switch feet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
I would take one all mountain ski and one piste ski that way you know you are covered concentrate most of your piste skiing on your right foot but practice on the left foot for balance in the powder.If you get bored you can switch feet.

Now this is the kind of advice I can get with. I'll be easy to spot; 17m turn left 22 m turn right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy