Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which of these forward pressure settings is better?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I received a pair of skis and boots used from a friend and I was checking the settings on them.

I noticed that at the current settings of both 315 at the heel and toe, the indicator is showing this:

I tried changing one of the sides to 309 and I get this:

Are they both for all intents and purposes the same effective result or is one better than the other? If I should move one side to 309, is the heel or the toe side better? Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seek the advice of a professional.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tonythetigger Needs a proper fitting otherwise they won't release when needed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
315 and 309 are BSL measurements. Read the BSL on the sole of your boot and set the binding accordingly at both front and rear.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally, the indicator should be around the centre of it's movement AFAIK, but check an on-line manual for your bindings. Which makes sense if you think about it, you could clamp the boot really tight or loosely and it would look pretty similar as the boot would be held in place but the actual release pressure would be different in each case. The indicator essentially shows the clamping pressure.

You could take it to a professional or you could just watch a couple of YouTube vids. Sometimes it's nice to learn for yourself how these things work. Especially if it's something that simple.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
315 and 309 are BSL measurements. Read the BSL on the sole of your boot and set the binding accordingly at both front and rear.

Ignore this as with many makes of boot the forward pressure in the heel won't be correct/ideal if you just trust the length scales.

The forward pressure is important as when set correctly it's essentially calibrating the binding ensuring the toe and heel units are holding the boot with sufficient pressure that the din releases will be accurate. Too much forward pressure (ie binding length too short) can increase the din setting and insufficient forward pressure (binding too long) can reduce the din setting.

And the reason we have a fixed position toe binding with a 'floating heel' position is that the floating heel ensures that the bindings release consistently throughout the flex range of the ski.

@Tonythetigger, The position of the toe determines the fore/aft position of the boot on the ski - with most wanting the boot centre line above the mounting line on the ski - so that's a good place to start. With your Look bindings the forward pressure is acceptable when, with the boot installed, you can see daylight 'in the window' combined with some yellow, as opposed to it being all yellow. All yellow is insufficient forward pressure (binding too long). All daylight is too much forward pressure (binding too long), so you want a bit of both, as in both of your pics.

However, if there's more than one length setting that achieves that (as in your case) then use the setting that gives you as close to a 50/50 daylight/yellow - so in your case the lower pic with the heel length at 309mm gives the best adjustment.

The benefit of a rail system like this is that the user can play around with the fore/aft mount position of the ski so long as the binding length/forward pressure is correct. So in hard pack conditions you might prefer the boot centre to be 10-15mm forward of 'the line' to aid in pressuring the ski (but go too forward and the tail will wash out) but in deeper/soft snow if the ski tips are diving and you're having to lean back to keep them up then go 10-15mm back etc (but not too far as you'll get front end underside).

Here endeth todays lesson and that'll be £30 please Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, Thank you for the information, it's a lot of great things for me to think about. So I just wanted to summarize so I can ensure I'm understanding each point you made.

1. So generally speaking in a standard case, the toe position is set first and then the heel position is adjusted to ensure there is adequate forward pressure on the binding? So that's why I would adjust the heel and not the toe to get the right setting locked in?

2. Does it change any of the balance of the boot on the skies if I set the heel side to 309?

3. Practically speaking, are both settings really okay or is it tangibly better to set the heel to 309?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Ignore this as with many makes of boot the forward pressure in the heel won't be correct/ideal if you just trust the length scales.

I find it very frustrating that binding manufacturers can make a binding where both toe and heel pieces are on the same track, with bsl markings, and when you set that binding to the marks for your bsl, the forward pressure isn't always right. In a rental situation when you are adjusting skis for a whole class before a lesson it takes so much longer if you have to boot in every set of skis to test that the numbers are actually going to work.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy