Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulge in Ski After 6 Days Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I got back from the PSB and was checking my skis yesterday, a brand new pair of Head eTitans with only 6 days of skiing under them. I was pleased with the lack of scratches etc until I notice a bulged on the side of the ski near the front. It looks like there's been an impact on the side wall that's deformed the base. Not sure if the photos due justice but should / could this happen to new skis and what should I do?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too much fondue and tartiflette?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stevew, My guess, that was done by baggage handlers on your flight home. I think you would remember hitting something hard enough to do that while skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reject and refund.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

what should I do

Get them repaired
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hit something submerged whilst skiing I’d guess. Can't see how transit damage would only affect one ski, especially in a bag.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 12-12-23 10:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The photos are very out of focus but from what I can tell, unless you were travelling sideways at some pace and collided with a very pointy rock, that isn't damage from skiing. I reckon @rjs has the answer. Spyderjon would be my first port of call for repair advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the feedback. I bought them from Glide and Slide in Otley so I'll probably bob down on Saturday to see what they say.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen things like this before and sometimes it's an in-transit bit of damage. That's been whacked from the side or dropped onto something round which has pushed the edge in. Reasonably straightforward repair, but annoying.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the top picture the edge still looks straight. In the side picture it looks dented (by a non skiing impact by the looks of it) and the core material has been damaged resulting in the lump? How do you fix a damaged core and dented edge? You can grind the base but that doesn’t repair the damage inside. It doesn’t look like it’s near the binding and will probably have no real world impact but if you want it sorted I would claim on travel insurance. It’s not the shops responsibility.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's the white dot? The bubbling on the base looks like the edge metal has been distorted. Point impact. Are you sure they never fell over in the ski room or the like? If you didn't hit a rock maybe it's happened in transit but if they were packed base to base seems oddly specific for only one to get damaged in that spot.

Seems unlikely to be a shop warranty issue unless there is a known manufacturing defect.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
What's the white dot? The bubbling on the base looks like the edge metal has been distorted. Point impact. Are you sure they never fell over in the ski room or the like? If you didn't hit a rock maybe it's happened in transit but if they were packed base to base seems oddly specific for only one to get damaged in that spot.

Seems unlikely to be a shop warranty issue unless there is a known manufacturing defect.

The skis were in dakine fall line bag so flat in them, I didn't look at the skis until after taking out so unsure of orientation and I'm sure I'd have noticed earlier in the week if it had been damaged on they way out. The white dot is just the reflection of the bottom part of the indent which is quite clear and deflecting on the edge is quite small, hence asking for advice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would need a better picture but you should be able to tell by the markings on the base whether they have been skied on since the damage. If there are any marks that don't have start and end points either side of the damage then they have been skied on. I would have thought you would be aware of the damage if you have skied on a base like that though especially on surface lifts (if you used any) or flat bits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It kind of looks as though the edge has been forced inwards. I don't think that it is feasible for you to do it whilst skiing. Probably handling damage at one of the airports, any damage to the bag/luggage?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
definitely looks like impact damage to the edge that has pushed it the base through

perfectly possibly to do this skiing, a sideways impact isn't unusual
snow report
CEM wrote:

Wouldn’t there be more visible damage/scratches if it was from a rock. More likely the bag was bumped on something and it’s an impact from through the bag hence why it looks so clean.

Can you repair that?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, there a few scratches on the base from the pics….surely the bag would have damage if that was done through a bag???
latest report
Need better photos. The duvet is nicely in focus.
snow report
anarchicsaltire wrote:

I'll see if I can get some better photos with a camera rather than my phone tonight or tomorrow with better lighting, thanks for all the feedback so far.

I think you're right that if I'd done it whilst skiing there be more scuff marks / scratches around the bulge.
latest report
anarchicsaltire wrote:

Best not ask why the bed is in perfect focus... could be planning on funding ski repair from Onlyfans.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
anarchicsaltire wrote:

Best not ask why the bed is in perfect focus... could be planning on funding ski repair from Onlyfans.

Probably the AI in the phone software recognising bedding then.
ski holidays
@stevew, if Glide and Slide are close by might be worth asking for their opinion as they can then see better than pics! Either way you will need an estimate of repair costs and then are either paying, claiming off them, travel insurance or the airline so will need to get the claims in!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
CEM wrote:

Wouldn’t there be more visible damage/scratches if it was from a rock. More likely the bag was bumped on something and it’s an impact from through the bag hence why it looks so clean.

Can you repair that?
not always more scratches, all depends what you hit and how, also unlikely to be baggage handler damage (i love how people on this site always blame someone or something for things when it is plain impact damage), sure clearer pictures would be good and would indicate better what happened and what can be done.... year ago i saw 4 pairs of skis at the end of the season where they all had a very similar mark in a very similar place all form the same shop, they claimed they had been damaged in transit, turned out a disgruntled ex employee had taken a screwdriver to the edge and smacked it with a hammer on all of them

best guess is a small patch and possibly a section of edge if the sidewall isn't too damaged, it might straighten out easily maybe not but would want to see it in person to say for sure
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
CEM wrote:

Can you repair that?
not always more scratches, all depends what you hit and how, also unlikely to be baggage handler damage (i love how people on this site always blame someone or something for things when it is plain impact damage), sure clearer pictures would be good and would indicate better what happened and what can be done.... year ago i saw 4 pairs of skis at the end of the season where they all had a very similar mark in a very similar place all form the same shop, they claimed they had been damaged in transit, turned out a disgruntled ex employee had taken a screwdriver to the edge and smacked it with a hammer on all of them

best guess is a small patch and possibly a section of edge if the sidewall isn't too damaged, it might straighten out easily maybe not but would want to see it in person to say for sure

Thanks. I'm struggling to get a good picture even with a decent camera due to lack of natural light. I'm only 5/10 minutes away from Glide and Slide so I'll go in on Saturday and see what they say. I can't definitively say it was baggage handlers or even not myself, certainly didn't hit anything solid as snow was so good, who can say. I'm more concerned about if I'll do more damage skiing on them next time if I don't get it fixed first. Will feedback after Saturday.
snow report
@stevew, good snow, but early season conditions so there will be hidden obstacles in the snow, hard to tell from the pics but also looks like marks/scratches on the base so you did slide over rocks or something similar.
ski holidays
Defo impact but an easy fix. Needs to be done before skied again as water ingress likely even if there's no obvious gap etc.
ski holidays
Good news Glide and Slide are comfortable that it can be fixed and I'll be able to collect them before my next trip on the 31st. Thanks for everyone's advice and helpful feedback.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy