Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wePowder Guide - The Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have this book? Now on it's 2nd edition and potentially looks interesting!

https://www.wepowdershop.com/products/books/#cc-m-product-9766762271
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you know who has written it/done the leg work? Can't just see on website which is a worry... mmmmm AI! I still like Skiing Europe by Matt Barr/Gabby LB. One snowboarder, one skier - both who actually know what they are talking about, and have actually been to a good chunk of the places.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wiigman, nope zero details, hence the question!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski,

https://backcountrybooks.co/products/wepowder-guide-the-alps
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have access to ebook version through a subscription to wepowder. Part of my justification for subscription was to see what book looked like.

It was written 2018ish, first edition published 2019, and there are names listed on front page - I don’t think it’s AI.

It’s interesting, and for resorts where FATMAP don’t have much data/ presence then yes it’s fairly useful. Also some background info on weather, but I think that’s mostly repeated on the website.

I wouldn’t buy the book in hard copy but am happy to have ebook access. The photography is lovely and it helps planning/ get excited.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

Screenshots of opening pages
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought the book in early 2021. It's fun to flip through and learn about lots of different resorts. It feels quality and that a fair amount of effort went into it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, my brother has the first edition; it definitely isn't AI. The technology wasn't remotely close to what we have now, for a start. It has some very good information on European weather patterns too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was joking about the AI everyone! This is the fear of every ski writer, but it's some way off!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a good book, although more inspiration book than a detailed guide. Great to flick through for ideas on where to go next and has some good information on weather, aspect and terrain.

It also has some interesting met. info for those interested in learning a bit more about the weather systems that affect the alps.

Definitely worth the money in my opinion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wiigman wrote:
I was joking about the AI everyone! This is the fear of every ski writer, but it's some way off!

Get with the program, son.

AI books today -- real / copies / fakes -- are flooding Amazon and bookstores.

Amazon is limiting the number of ebooks that can be published per-human to three per day.

One semifamous dood is publishing 3 books a week. He may top 150 books this year.

AI publishing is here and now.

No humans will be writing ski books by the 2030s.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, it's a good coffee table book and makes a good Xmas / Bday present, though our resident Troll probably doesn't receive too many presents Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
wiigman wrote:

Amazon is limiting the number of ebooks that can be published per-human to three per day.

One semifamous dood is publishing 3 books a week. He may top 150 books this year.

AI publishing is here and now.

No humans will be writing ski books by the 2030s.

@Whitegold I don't know what your programme is, er Dad?! But have you actually read some of the AI ski stuff? It's some way off being credible IMHO. An AI Jackson Hole/Corbet's review sticks in my mind. This is a living feature/drop/slope that changes all season, depending on conditions, and AI appeared totally baffled by all the differing thoughts/reviews because of this. I hope you are wrong re the real people writing about skiing in the 2030s... we will see! Back on topic, I'm not against the book, I was just interested in who had written it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wiigman, don't feed the troll, best ignored.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, Very Happy
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
wiigman wrote:

Quote:
Val Thorens is a world-renowned ski resort nestled in the French Alps, boasting a rich history, diverse skiing terrain, vibrant après-ski scene, and stunning weather conditions. Situated in the Tarentaise Valley of the Savoie region, Val Thorens is the highest ski resort in Europe, perched at an altitude of 2,300 meters (7,546 feet).

History:
Val Thorens was established in the 1970s as part of the broader Les Trois Vallées ski area, which is the largest linked ski area in the world. Over the years, it has evolved from a small mountain village to a premier destination for winter sports enthusiasts. The resort was purposefully designed for skiing, and its architecture seamlessly blends with the natural surroundings.

Skiing and Slopes:
The ski area of Val Thorens is a paradise for skiers and snowboarders alike. With access to over 600 kilometers of interconnected slopes in the Les Trois Vallées, it offers a variety of terrains suitable for all skill levels. The resort is particularly known for its extensive network of groomed runs, challenging off-piste opportunities, and breathtaking panoramic views. The high altitude ensures excellent snow conditions throughout the season, with a ski season that typically lasts from November to May.

Beginners can enjoy gentle slopes and dedicated learning areas, while intermediate and advanced skiers can explore a vast array of red and black runs, as well as thrilling off-piste descents. Val Thorens is also home to one of the largest terrain parks in Europe, catering to freestyle enthusiasts.

Après-Ski:
Val Thorens is celebrated for its lively après-ski scene, offering a diverse range of entertainment options for visitors. The resort features numerous bars, restaurants, and clubs where skiers can unwind after a day on the slopes. From traditional mountain huts serving local specialties to vibrant nightclubs hosting international DJs, there's something for every taste. The atmosphere is electric, and the après-ski culture is an integral part of the Val Thorens experience.

Weather Conditions:
Due to its high altitude, Val Thorens enjoys a favorable climate for winter sports. The winter season brings consistent snowfall, creating a reliable snowpack for skiing and snowboarding. The cold temperatures ensure that the snow remains in excellent condition, and the resort's extensive snowmaking capabilities further enhance the overall skiing experience.

In summary, Val Thorens stands as a pinnacle of alpine excellence, offering a perfect blend of history, diverse skiing opportunities, vibrant après-ski, and favorable weather conditions, making it a must-visit destination for winter sports enthusiasts from around the globe.

maybe good enough for Ski and Bored magazine although perhaps "Val Thorens is a desolate, soulness new build whose altitude will leave you gasping for air while battling through the frequent white out conditions in a featureless landscape" might be closer to the truth.
latest report
wiigman wrote:
It's some way off being credible IMHO. An AI Jackson Hole/Corbet's review sticks in my mind. This is a living feature/drop/slope that changes all season, depending on conditions, and AI appeared totally baffled by all the differing thoughts/reviews because of this. I hope you are wrong re the real people writing about skiing in the 2030s... we will see! Back on topic, I'm not against the book, I was just interested in who had written it.

hmmm lets try

Quote:
Corbet's Couloir is a famous and challenging ski run located at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort in Wyoming, USA. It is renowned for its steep and narrow entrance, which requires expert skiing or snowboarding skills to navigate successfully. The couloir is named after Barry Corbet, a mountaineer, and filmmaker who was one of the early pioneers of skiing in the area.

Some key features of Corbet's Couloir include:

Steep Entrance: The most iconic aspect of Corbet's is its steep and narrow entrance, often requiring skiers or snowboarders to make a significant drop into the couloir.

Technical Challenges: The couloir presents technical challenges, including variable snow conditions, rocks, and the need for precise navigation. It's considered an advanced or expert-level run.

Visibility: Due to its steepness and the narrow entrance, visibility can be limited, especially during storms or low-light conditions.

Popularity: Corbet's Couloir has gained fame not only for its challenging nature but also for its visibility in ski and snowboard films, attracting advanced riders from around the world.

It's worth noting that ski runs and conditions can change, and it's advisable to check with the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort or other local sources for the most up-to-date information on specific runs and couloirs.

The strikes me as some fairly generic but accurate fluff. I would replace navigate with negociate in the first sentence and change its use in the Technical Challenges. Otherwise good to go if a bit bland.

If you think journalists are not using AIs today you are mistaken.
ski holidays
@davidof That's not a bad try - much better than the JH one I saw/was talking about. But to me at least, it appears obvious it's AI (or possibly written by someone without any soul - Daily Mail?! - who does not really understand skiing, hence that 'Visibility' line, which I find very odd). May I ask what evidence/scurrrrrrrrillous chat you have concerning ski journalists using AI? Go on, name some names! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy