Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Houches, St Gervais, Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for some info from those in the know...

Are the places in the thread title linked by a common ski pass? Also, is there any free parking to be had in any or all?

We are struggling with finding a new destination this season after several 3V, several GM and a recent PdS. We're looking for 3-4 weeks worth of skiing, and won't mind driving to the different resorts. This area seems to fit the bill.

Feel free to suggest elsewhere too, but it has to be 3 weeks worth.

Thanks

CG
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All have free parking and the Mont Blanc unlimited pass covers all those resorts and more.

Unfortunately you have missed out of the early bird ski pass for the area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ll add my comments tomorrow when on full keyboard
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dolomiti Superski (Italy).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The large multi story car park in Saint Gervais is free, from there you get to Ski Saint Gervais , Megeve, Comboloux & Les Contimines. all on the same pass 444km. You can also get the TMB rail up to Les Houches but that is a separate pass but the train is included in your day pass.

Your 10 minutes from a Autoroute , so you can get to Chamonix in 25 mins , over to the PDS in 30 & although I haven't done it yet I am sure you can get to the Italian slopes in less than a hour.

For me it is a great base, I have been skiing it for 7 years now, approx 30 days a year & I haven't found the need to venture that far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Charliegolf, Just starting my 8th season in the Chamonix area so a little biased. With a car you have the Chamonix valley ski areas, Courmayeur, St Gervais etc (as pointed out by @Jonny996,). With all of the off piste and touring possibilities there is an infinite variety. With even half decent conditions the problem will be the deciding what not to do.

As @chrise1967, points out the early bird discount period is over and the pass costs will be significant. Which ever base you choose between Argentiere and St Gervais, with a car you can access everything so long as you don’t mind getting up early.

Don’t know about elsewhere but you should be able to find out plenty of up to date information on conditions, what’s good and bad, and even join up with locals via this forum.

The lift pass cost may be the stumbling block…..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996,
Quote:

over to the PDS in 30

says the man with the flying car wink

We count a good 1h15 to Morzine from Chamonix (although Les Gets some 15 mins quicker). I'd think, tho' that St Gervais is definitely a good location for a base especially if you're piste skiing oriented.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all for that, really useful
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, I am staying in St Gervais the first week of January, we have an apartment 200m from the main lift but it has no parking, so you know if I can leave my car in the main free car park for a couple of days at a time or do I need to take it out at night?
The only time I will use it is to go to Les C or Cham
Thanks
Neill
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Neillp, my understanding is you can leave it there the whole week 24/7 if you wish.
My only caveat is that this year only, they have lost 50% of the gondola parking due to a new gondola house being constructed so they may put restrictions on the multi-storey in the centre but I haven’t seen any signs of that from the mayors office or on the facebook page
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Neillp, as @Jonny996, says the construction in the lift station car park will mean pressure on spaces this winter. But if you arrive in the evening you ought to be fine. The multi-storey upper storeys (spaces with blue marking) are short stay, but you can park longer lower down. There is also a fairly big car park by the ice rink where there is likely to be spaces.

@Charliegolf, you would have to check out the Mont Blanc Unlimited ski passes, they aren't listed ever on the St Gervais web site so I don't know whether you have to go to Chamonix for the physical passes. They should be available online if you have a compatible card, and I think you have to activate them in the lift pass office of resorts other than Chamonix. Someone here may know. It would cover all of the Chamonix valley areas, Les Houches (directly accessible from St Gervais via the Tramway), St Gervais-Megeve, Combloux and Les Contamines (both on the St G pass anyway; you can get a navette across Megeve to access Combloux but there is no direct connection to the Les Contamines slopes). Courmayeur would be a bit of a trek, there are often queues for the tunnel as well as the cost.

Comparing the other places you mention, the St Gervais-Megeve area alone of Evasion Mont Blanc is similar in size to Grands Montets and you have Combloux and Les Contamines on the same lift pass as well (total claimed to be 440 km). Add in the Chamonix valley resorts and you are similar in total area to PdS or 3V, though not connected in the same way.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 13-12-23 22:17; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks both
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@j b, Thanks for that one, and the Evasion tip is one to ponder.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neillp wrote:
... I am staying in St Gervais the first week of January, we have an apartment 200m from the main lift but it has no parking, so you know if I can leave my car in the main free car park for a couple of days at a time or do I need to take it out at night?

Just back from a few days in StG. Unfortunately there is now a sign on the lift station car park saying no overnight parking. I think that it because of the reduced capacity because of the construction and them wanting to ensure there are enough spaces for day visitors who otherwise obstruct the adjacent streets.

However the underground multistorey in the main square, and the car park by the ice rink should still be fine, and both are easily within half a mile depending exactly where your apartment is.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@j b, hopefully you had a good trip, how is it looking
snow report
@j b, thanks for the update
latest report
@Jonny996, St G was very limited opening actually but the snow was OK and you could ski back to Bettex (Chateluy green the only run open for that). But Contamines had much more mileage available - though still partial - and was in great condition. Not a lot of people there, first thing in the morning we got to experience what it would be like to be a billionaire with a private ski resort.
snow report
I remember getting annoyed with one innocent person because they were on the piste about 1000 meters away because if not for them I wouldn’t have been able to see anyone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy