Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Dec 9th/Dec 12th 2023 - Live TR

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travellers; Father (50s) and daughter (20s) - we would be intermediate(ish) level skiiers.
Type: DIY - flights to Lyon. Then FLixbus to Grenoble bus station and then two local buses (T75 and T73) to resort. A real faff - but incredibly cheap. No transfer companies operating from Lyon this early and a private transfer would have cost more than the rest of the trip.
Airbnb apartment slap bang in middle of town about a 5 minute walk to main Jandri gondola.
Rented skis from Brun Sports - super close to gondola.

Day 1: A day for getting ski legs back. Started ok - it was overcast and the light was flat. However snow was nice and skiiable. Did some laps of La Toura/Cretes. Then popped off down to Pierre Grosse for a trip closer to the top. However in afternoon weather closed in - visibilty was terrible and it started raining. Poor end to day but overall not too dismayed. A side note there is some Rise music festival on that has attracted in lots of 20something newbis skiiers etc. (more on that later). The 20s daughter likes the look of the village and there seem to be a lot of cool pub/restaurants. My Irish brain was and remains a tad bewildered by places selling 25cl of beer for €4 a pop!
Day 2: Slight delay to opening due to overnight rain making snowpack unstable higher up. Jandri was delayed opening but a quick schuss over to Le Diable got us moving. The previously mentioned newbies stuck resolutely to the queue at Jandri. Once up we had fabulous blue skies all day which contributed to a lovely day skiing. The pistes however were hard packed with some loose power on top in places and by the end of day due to scraping by many there were sheets of ice. Diable/Cretes was nice. La Toura - was meh and mogully - one run and we moved on. We went up on Pierre Grosse a number of times with one trip up the Funicular. Fab views from up there and the pistes, snow in great condition. All in all a tremendous day with lovely sunshine.....and then.....the run home...... Sweet Mother of Jesus it was absolute carnage on a scale I have never, ever seen in any resort ever. Jandri 1/2/3 was like Omaha beach on D-day with bodies strewn over ever part of the piste. The experienced skiers just trying to keep moving to avoid fallers and out of control newbies - I saw/heard one wipeout of a skier who was on the side of the slope by a persons who could just not deal with ice, narrow pistes, choke points at corners and the sheer number of other inexperienced skiers. I may just take the gondola down tomorrow.

Impressions so far - we are enjoying the skiing - a few flat bits in place that are annoying. Fab views --- no trees.....
Day 3: morning. It rained all night in village and lifts are delayed opening for avalanche control. Sky overcast. Could be great snow up top or.... tune in later folks
Soooo --- a pretty crap day if truth be told. Late opening due to the rain causing snowpack instability. A limited number of lifts opened, precipitation continued unabated all day accompanied by a chilling breeze. Lower slopes turned to water - upper slopes could be epic - if they were seeable or getable to....... The snowgods owe me - however tomorrow looks the same..........
“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are Fitzwilliams!”
Day 4

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-12-23 18:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good stuff, please keep it coming Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy