Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Living In The Vinschgau/Val Venosta

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all I decided to post this under a new topic as well as we were originally moving to The Dolomites but actually ended up in The Vinschgau Valley/Val Venosta so if anyone was doing the same, a search for the area makes more sense under this topic:

Hey all, well we were moving to The Dolomites but for several reasons were unable to do so but we did make it to The Vinschgau/Val Venosta region and we moved here on 15/11/23, it's been a bit nuts since then but we're settling in now.

It's a lovely area, it's different to The Dolomites in many ways, significantly less skiing but so far so good. We've only been to Sulden Am Ortler so far which is about 35 minutes by car for us from Schluderns/Sluderno, quite a few runs/lifts were closed but it was lovely to just put on some skis and......erm....ski.

Hoping to go to Haideralm/Malga San Valentino - Schöneben/Belpiano tomorrow roughly 20 minutes by car.

Some great walking very close to our rental with lots of trails to many of the local towns/villages.

My aim going forwards would be to help anyone else thinking of moving to Italy (if I can) as the bureaucratic practices are quite a challenge both before and after arrival, luckily our landlords have been super helpful but it can all be rather daunting eg we bought some Italian sim cards, had to do it in our landlords' names as we didn't have the required papers but I set up the auto monthly payment with my card, 3 weeks later it still wasn't sorted so the sim cards hadn't been activated because it's a non-Italian card. The landlord paid and the sims were working the next day and it's vital as we need an Italian number to open our bank accounts (we tried using our UK numbers and it didn't work so will go back to open the accounts hopefully this week) - so small things like this can cause larger headaches.
The 2 German banks with a huge local presence are Raiffeisen & Sparkasse but neither have English on their app so we went to Merano (fantastic place from what we saw) to open an account with one of the Italian banks that do have English on their app, plus when you renew your residency after 1 year you'll need statements in Italian.
Merano is about 70 minutes by car for us and we will definitely spend a day there to check it out, lots of beautiful buildings and plenty of services that can't be found necessarily locally, there's also Merano 2000 for skiing which is included on the ski pass.

99% of people speak German here so all those Italian lessons were unnecessary!

So I just wanted to check in and give an update and if anyone is moving to Italy or the Vinschgau/Val Venosta and had some questions, with my limited experience, I'll try to help.

snow conditions Sun 10 Dec, 23
16:49 Reply with quote Edit-post Delete-post
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dolomike, Merano is German too wink :Meran!
And so is the nearby village of Tirolo...Tirol, yes, indeed!
Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Langerzug wrote:
@Dolomike, Merano is German too wink :Meran!
And so is the nearby village of Tirolo...Tirol, yes, indeed!
Good luck!

Thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dolomike, the Vinschgau is a fascinating place, Tyrol in the sunshine, known for its prodigious apple and wine production.

I wanted to try a ski holiday there a couple of years ago, as the costs seemed lower than the Dolomiti Superski areas, but I ended up finding somewhere near Predazzo in Val di Fiemme.

The walled town of Glurns (Italianised as Glorenza) has always fascinated me. It's not far from you.

I sympathise with your tanglings with bureaucracy, a distant cousin has recently obtained her Italian citizenship through her grandfather who she proved had what qualified as an Italian overseas birth and was therefore an Italian citizen. It was a lot of paperwork and to-ing and fro-ing visiting public offices over the course of many months, but she got there in the end and is happily settled in Piemonte region.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi wrote:
@Dolomike, the Vinschgau is a fascinating place, Tyrol in the sunshine, known for its prodigious apple and wine production.

I wanted to try a ski holiday there a couple of years ago, as the costs seemed lower than the Dolomiti Superski areas, but I ended up finding somewhere near Predazzo in Val di Fiemme.

The walled town of Glurns (Italianised as Glorenza) has always fascinated me. It's not far from you.

I sympathise with your tanglings with bureaucracy, a distant cousin has recently obtained her Italian citizenship through her grandfather who she proved had what qualified as an Italian overseas birth and was therefore an Italian citizen. It was a lot of paperwork and to-ing and fro-ing visiting public offices over the course of many months, but she got there in the end and is happily settled in Piemonte region.

Hi Luigi, thanks for your reply, yes apples everywhere and some pears too.

We've driven through Glurns, yes it's very close, it's (according to our landlord) Italy's smallest city, it doesn't qualify in size as a city but because it's walled in the old fashioned sense, it's classed as a city.

There's lots of medieval type castles, monasteries and abbeys everywhere plus impressive gothic style churches too. So far, we're very taken with the area.

Re the bureaucracy, some of it is just plain daft. We are waiting for an appointment for biometrics and to finaslise the residency and obtain the holy grail which is the ID card but the police/immigration have scheduled the appointment for August '24, which is 1 month after our residency expires! So we'll be sorting out our residency with the authorities after it has expired Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dolomike, Interesting re Sparkasse. We have accounts here in Austria with them, since September, and the app is in English for me. Wonder if the app in Italy is different to what we use in Austria?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
@Dolomike, Interesting re Sparkasse. We have accounts here in Austria with them, since September, and the app is in English for me. Wonder if the app in Italy is different to what we use in Austria?
Unfortunately yes, I went into a branch when I was in San Candido in Sept. and the lady in there loaded up the app and confirmed, just DE/IT
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy