Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schneebären 23/24 (Tauplitz, Planneralm, Riesneralm, Loser)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Keen to see reviews and thoughts on the hidden gems within the Schneebären Card resorts of Tauplitz, Planneralm, Riesneralm & Loser resorts (also within the SuperSkiCard).

Looks like snow wise they have all had a fab start to the season like most places. I'm a big fan of the smaller off-the-beaten track resorts away from the super crowds but with some excellent skiing and snowboarding available.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tauplitz is a fabulous ski area and they’ve currently got the piste down to Bad Mitterndorf open, following good early snowfall (more due this week/weekend). It’s one of my favourite ‘local’ resorts. Nice piste-side restaurants. Mostly decent uplift. Some reasonably easy to access off-piste. For a smallish ski area, you actually get a decent sense of travel and there’s really enough variety to suit most levels.

Loser is also fun, though their piste-management can be a bit hit and miss occasionally. The long piste from top to valley station is a blast when conditions allow. Again, there is some easy to access off-piste. Next year the new gondola will be in operation which will improve the uplift experience no end. The main town below Loser is Bad Ausee which is a typically charming Austrian town. Well worth a visit.

I can’t comment on Planneralm or Reisneralm.

Should you opt for the Superski Card, checkout Dachstein West. Neither a beginner nor expert skier paradise, exactly, it’s a decent ski area with an excellent sense of travel between the main villages of Gosau, Russbach and Annaburg (Marcel Hirscher’s home town). Inexpensive Hutte eating, well maintained pistes, some easy access off-piste and rarely overly busy (outside of Austrian half term).

A visit to Dachstein Krippenstein also worth it for the 11km top to valley piste. A roller coaster red with, probably, some of the best views one could wish for (I might be a bit biased Laughing ). I’m fairly sure it’s Austria’s longest piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great info. Thanks.

Tauplitz been on my radar for some time

http://youtube.com/v/8_JjJIrwaPY&list=WL&index=5
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cacciatore wrote:
... Loser is also fun, though their piste-management can be a bit hit and miss occasionally. The long piste from top to valley station is a blast when conditions allow. Again, there is some easy to access off-piste. Next year the new gondola will be in operation which will improve the uplift experience no end. The main town below Loser is Bad Ausee which is a typically charming Austrian town. Well worth a visit. ...
I spent a few summers there caving on the plateau. Looking at openskimap.org, in summer you drive up the Panoramastrasse to the Loseralm car park, then walk east over the plateau towards the Schwarzmooskogel etc. The whole thing is hollow, with about 1km of depth potential down to the lake. In summer both the villages down the bottom are good places to hang out with traditional guesthouses etc. It's been a while, but the main car park cafe was always a bit naff compared with the Loserhutte etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
phil_w wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
... Loser is also fun, though their piste-management can be a bit hit and miss occasionally. The long piste from top to valley station is a blast when conditions allow. Again, there is some easy to access off-piste. Next year the new gondola will be in operation which will improve the uplift experience no end. The main town below Loser is Bad Ausee which is a typically charming Austrian town. Well worth a visit. ...
I spent a few summers there caving on the plateau. Looking at openskimap.org, in summer you drive up the Panoramastrasse to the Loseralm car park, then walk east over the plateau towards the Schwarzmooskogel etc. The whole thing is hollow, with about 1km of depth potential down to the lake. In summer both the villages down the bottom are good places to hang out with traditional guesthouses etc. It's been a while, but the main car park cafe was always a bit naff compared with the Loserhutte etc.

Interesting, thanks phil_w.

Altausee and Grundlsee also worth seeing. The latter is close to Toplitzsee, which has an interesting history and is one of the few lakes that has a salt water layer beneath the fresh water.

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of my best ski weekends ever was at Tauplitz. Found the (long ago) trip report, too, but unfortunately the pics are gone:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/102238-TR-Austria-Season-Opener-Tauplitz-17-18-Nov?highlight=TR

Edit: found a photo!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy