Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kuhtai advice

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Austria for the first time beginning of march, partly on the basis that last year was so dismal for me snow wise that I wanted somewhere snow sure.

As such, I booked a few days in Kuhtai, however I've read a couple of places that it's actually quite difficult mainly reds and blacks, no blues.

Has anyone been? I'm an intermediate skier and only do blues and reds.

I also have a place booked in mayrhofen for the same dates which is more extensive but I believe that is less snow sure.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don’t know Kuhtai, but Mayrhofen in early March should be as safe as anywhere - probably the best time to go
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kuhtai's great. The reds aren't too difficult (there's a steep section at the top of the hohermutbahn that can get icy if it's busy) but everywhere else I think you'll be fine.
You can grab a bus to Hochoutz (sorry about the spelling!) To give you a bit more to go at, a few more blues and some cover in the trees it you get a "flat" day.
Tho hotels area spot on, the ice hotel/bar is worth a visit, the Rodelbahn toboggan run is great as well.
The nice thing is the runs are fairly short so it you want to have a break or stop at anytime your just one run from your hotel.
It's a great place, you'll have a good time..oh and except at weekends it's always been nice and quiet for us.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kuhtai is brilliant, nice compact shi area, blues and reds are perfect for early intermediates. Good altitude means snow stays good, last time was late feb in a bad snow year for the alps, but kuhtai snow was good all day. Its an easy bus ride from Innsbruck bus station.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As somebody who actually learned to ski in Kühtai as an absolute beginner when a teenager I am pretty confident that you will be fine with the runs snowHead

Enjoy your stay Very Happy i hope you have a great time!

(My husband and I are actually thinking of doing a week there maybe Easter or more likely around next Christmas Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm I think you need to pick your runs carefully - one side of the road has easier runs than the other - the reds are quite steep in places compared to Mayrhofen. I would head there over Kühtai as more skiing and better après - if snow no good you are not far from hintertux glacier. I will reach for my Tim hat but I did not think the skiing was great at Kühtai, some very nice restaurants on slopes though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I will reach for my Tim (or even tin? Puzzled ) hat but I did not think the skiing was great at Kühtai
A pleasant little ski area but I was surprised at the lack of vertical - it's very limited by usual Alps' standards. The biggest vertical (one run!) is 500m, with the rest of the pistes offering only 3-400m.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We love kuhtai, and i swear some of the blacks are just because they ran out of red paint...

(Its more about the conditions, they can be tricky when slushy or icy, but lovely when pisted...)

Its not the biggest area, but you do have HochOetz on the same pass just down the valley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Its not the biggest area, but you do have HochOetz on the same pass just down the valley
Another vote for Hochöetz - a great little area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
EarthWindandWater wrote:
We love kuhtai, and i swear some of the blacks are just because they ran out of red paint...

It's a fairly well accepted truism that every single ski resort wants to attract a broad range of clientele so will always try to categorise runs to cover all skill levels. This is why comparisons based on numbers of reds, blacks, are almost completely meaningless. We sometimes use places we know to give a meaningful comparison, like the black bit at the top of the Chaux Roses lift above Pre la Joux - yeah, no more than an Engelberg red, probably only dark blue. Only works for those that know, of course, but demonstrates how much variability there can be in colour gradings.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mrmeaner, Nothing wrong with Kuhtai but not sure how Mayrhofen can be less snow sure, early March is still pretty much high season and if things are really not good there is the glacier just up the road at Hintertux. Not an option at Kuhtai though Sölden is not far away.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kuhtai was ok when we went. The village is a bit of a non event (reminds me of Zurs in that it has nice hotels but can be quite bleak - high mountain pass). We preferred the skiing in hochötz and not a hassle getting there. Can't remember the skiing being particularly difficult in Kuhtai itself and the runs were nice and quiet when we went. Night skiing was good too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gotta say I don't love Kühtai. Kühtai has a surprising amount of offpiste and gives access to some great skitouring (actually some pretty phenomenal lines around with <1 hour of skinning), but the limited vert in resort is kinda annoying, and it gets less snow than surrounding resorts (being high it does keep the snow well though). Plus no village to speak of.

That said, there are plenty of beginner friendly pistes and only really one that's trickier. I don't find any of the pistes that interesting either tbh.

It's nice in spring with the long sunny days, but at the start of March you can go anywhere and have enough snow.

If you're looking for other similar small and snow sure resorts though, you could check Kappl (down the valley from Ischgl). Large vertical, gets lots of snow, keeps lots of snow, long and interesting pistes, rarely/never busy, upper slopes get lots of sun but lower in the shade. But the first - old - gondola up in the morning is a bit of a pain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
If you're looking for other similar small and snow sure resorts though, you could check Kappl
Mrs MA and I loved Kappl when we had a few days there using our Tirol Snow Cards a couple of seasons ago.

It's unknown to (most) UK punters and is definitely worth a visit for the reasons highlighted by @clarky999. One day we had an amazing day of untracked powder at the side of the upper runs.

We also really enjoyed skiing at See, which is very near to Kappl. Another unheard of area that deserves to be better known. Some great cruising runs, including a really fun steep black run to the middle station; decent vertical; quiet runs; and a gondola over the back of the mountain that serves more great (even quieter) cruising runs and some good itinerary routes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
If you're looking for other similar small and snow sure resorts though, you could check Kappl (down the valley from Ischgl).

clarky999, any recommendations for places to stay? My family love myAva in Kühtai for the pool and all inclusive, anywhere like that?
snow report
@EarthWindandWater, we liked the poste hotel. no pool but very good half board and a decent kids play area. My crew really enjoyed it
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@EarthWindandWater, we liked the poste hotel. no pool but very good half board and a decent kids play area. My crew really enjoyed it

Thanks, I'd had a look at that =0)
latest report
EarthWindandWater wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
If you're looking for other similar small and snow sure resorts though, you could check Kappl (down the valley from Ischgl).

clarky999, any recommendations for places to stay? My family love myAva in Kühtai for the pool and all inclusive, anywhere like that?

Sorry, I've only ever done day trips there so not clued up on the accommodation
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy