Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior racing boot flex Vs adult

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if junior race flex is equivalent to the adults in the same line of boots or is it adapted for kids?
Obviously I would love to look like a pro but 110 adults is considered to be for experts - I'm bordering intermediate and advance but definitely still in the intermediate category.
I can flex my 90's a fair bit at home, but this hasn't been translating to my skiing, I'm doing drills to get forward from the ankles, at home and on the ski slope.
I may be the same size as an eleven year old but I am stronger and fitter than most of them.
I'm going away in February and I need new boots so I'll need to get them soon to bed them in on the dry slope before we go and I'm not sure if I should go up or stay the same...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TillyT, boot flex is not standardized som110 in one brand is not the same in another etc.... a junior race boot (when you are talking about proper race boots not "childrens") generally has a lower cuff than its adult counterpart (always on up to 24.5 shell and then on specific models after this size) wall thicknesses on race boots are very different to that of most modern recreational boots and the flex is managed by using a different density of plastic (for example, the plastic hardness of a 130 atomic ultra is about 3 x that of the 130 flex Ti race boot as the wall thickness of the race boot is much thicker the softer plastic becomes = to the harder plastic in a boot with a thinner wall thickness)

boot flex is not about skier level, well it is, but more important is body weight, leg length and biomechanics, a 20 stone beginner who is 6'4" is going to need a stiffer boot than 10st expert who is 5'1"

work with your boot fitter to get the best fit for your foot and all the other parameters, if the boot is big or the cuff doesn't wrap the leg properly it won't flex as it should as you will either be just moving the foam of the liner or causing the shell to distort by having dead space in it

what is your height and body weight, this will give a better indication of what might work best for you, but as above it relys on the boot wrapping your leg properly
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am 5 ft, 50kg, and have size 2.5 feet, with narrow heels.

I currently use Rossingol hero SC 90 jnr racing boots and am looking to upgrade. They are a 22.5 and since I put butterfly volumizers in them they fit better, almost perfectly - quite cinched in.

My boots fitter suggested trying on the 22 and then if they don't fit replicating the butterfly volumizers in the 22.5.

But he recommended moving up to 110 - if you suggested to me to get an adults boot in 110 I'd definitely say I wasn't at the right ski level (+ my size), but wondered if the flex rating within the Rossingol hero range is specific to each of the juniors, women's and men's range of boots.

I can't imagine that the men's 110 and the kids 110 requires the same strength to flex...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TillyT, how did you get on with the flex of your boots in the snow last year? The boots will be much softer at home because of the warmth than they will be on a snowy slope.

It looks as if you've only had your boots for a year, so I'm assuming you're able to overpower them and are looking for a stiffer boot. In which case I wouldn't think a step up from a 90 to a 110 flex in the same boot range is going to be a problem.

There's a chart at the back of the Rossignol race catalog with some starting points for race boots based on Weight and Age here: https://issuu.com/professionalsport/docs/rossignol_race_katalog_23_24

It varies by age (which I guess is also a proxy for height and strength) but in general for the under 14s and under 16s the suggested boot for the 45-50Kg range is the 90 flex and 50-54Kg is the 110 flex. I'm not sure the specifics help much but it doesn't sounds as the step up in flex is horrendous. I guess it all depends on the problem you're having with your current boots and whether boot flex is the underlying problem.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 11-12-23 10:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TillyT wrote:
I am 5 ft, 50kg, and have size 2.5 feet, with narrow heels.

I currently use Rossingol hero SC 90 jnr racing boots and am looking to upgrade. They are a 22.5 and since I put butterfly volumizers in them they fit better, almost perfectly - quite cinched in.

My boots fitter suggested trying on the 22 and then if they don't fit replicating the butterfly volumizers in the 22.5.

But he recommended moving up to 110 - if you suggested to me to get an adults boot in 110 I'd definitely say I wasn't at the right ski level (+ my size), but wondered if the flex rating within the Rossingol hero range is specific to each of the juniors, women's and men's range of boots.

I can't imagine that the men's 110 and the kids 110 requires the same strength to flex...

the Hero SC90 is the same as a Lange RS SC and is also available in 110 flex...... the difference between that boot and an "adult" boot is the shaft height, it is technically an adult boot (adult ISO norms and adult plastic and all the features) and the short cuff is ideal for your height..... with a size 2.5 foot i would be hunting down the 21.5, ( there is a new mold series for the RS boots' for next year) so you will need to find a shop with one (i have 90 flex flex but no 110) next year there will be the new ones

the 22.0 and 22.5 are identical so whoever is telling you to try one over the other shouldn't be selling ski boots IMO

The only difference between the .0 and .5 is the thickness of the insole which if they are a boot fitter they should be removing and replacing with a properly made footbed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I currently use a blue superfeet in pretty much all my shoes as well as my boots and he said he'd put that in, he's had to order pairs for me to try on as he didn't have any in stock.
I've only ever hit the dryslope, temperature at it lowest is -2ish but mostly between 0 and 5. To be honest I don't know if I know if it could be stiffer or not. I don't know what that would should feel like.

I've got a trip booked for February.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As per your advice I phoned my bootfitter Nd requested the 21.5, he said he'll do a full measure on Wednesday and find the right size for my feet. He'll order the 21.5 if I need it.

Thanks guys
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TillyT wrote:
As per your advice I phoned my bootfitter Nd requested the 21.5, he said he'll do a full measure on Wednesday and find the right size for my feet. He'll order the 21.5 if I need it.

Thanks guys

i can see lange have some in stock, your foot can measure 22 and still comfortably fit in the 21.5, you might need a better footbed than an off the shelf one you are using to keep your got stable in the smaller shell
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
olderscot wrote:
@TillyT, how did you get on with the flex of your boots in the snow last year? The boots will be much softer at home because of the warmth than they will be on a snowy slope.

It looks as if you've only had your boots for a year, so I'm assuming you're able to overpower them and are looking for a stiffer boot. In which case I wouldn't think a step up from a 90 to a 110 flex in the same boot range is going to be a problem.

There's a chart at the back of the Rossignol race catalog with some starting points for race boots based on Weight and Age here: https://issuu.com/professionalsport/docs/rossignol_race_katalog_23_24

It varies by age (which I guess is also a proxy for height and strength) but in general for the under 14s and under 16s the suggested boot for the 45-50Kg range is the 90 flex and 50-54Kg is the 110 flex. I'm not sure the specifics help much but it doesn't sounds as the step up in flex is horrendous. I guess it all depends on the problem you're having with your current boots and whether boot flex is the underlying problem.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy