Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for last minute ski holiday Austria vs Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I’m looking to go on a last minute holiday to either France / Italy which very much depends on the value and conditions of skiing for 2 people. Dates would be 17/12/23 - 24/12/23

Is it fair to say Austria is currently in the lead when it comes to conditions?

I’m thinking of
Lech - accommodation is £1000 per week near the slopes quite pricey
St Anton - similar perhaps slightly cheaper
Mayrhofen - lots of deals available staying near penkenbahn
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis - coming up with very good prices however lifts opening 8th December ? Number of lifts that will be open
Zell am see /saalbach - been before but some good deals to be had

Italy - dolomites salva Val Gardena looking at similar prices to lech
Cervinia - reports of high wind and bitterly cold conditions ?avoid

I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts? Probably going to book sometime this weekend looking to try and spend all in about £1000pp for everything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested to know on prices too. Does all in include rentals, lessons, half board?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
puddingdo wrote:
Interested to know on prices too. Does all in include rentals, lessons, half board?

For the likes of Mayerhofen you can get it about that price with sunweb - £850-£1000pp

For the likes of more expensive places like St Anton it’s looking to be £1200pp booked DIY.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions here in Flachau are fantastic at the moment and we'll be pretty much fully open from 8th. Only 60 mins from Salzburg Airport and there are some great deals on the Flachau Tourist Office site. Bed and Breakfast at the Haus Sonnenglück is €676 for two. Have a look and come on down.

https://www.flachau.com/winter/unterkuenfte/

Flights from Heathrow on Lufthansa are on for €220pp. Throw in your lift passes and ski hire and you'll still be under your budget. Lift pass covers all of Ski Amade.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chubuking, most places in Tirol & Salzburgerland will be pretty much fully open from this weekend. Think you would be doing well to match your budget for any of the Arlberg or Ischgl. Serfaus could well be worth a go if they are offering good deals (usually same as Arlberg /Ischgl) not much in the way of apres if that is an issue. Personally I would avoid Cervinia in mid winter for the reasons you mention. If you want good skiing with some decent apres Mayrhofen is good, as mentioned above Flachau good too
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This will be my 3rd trip and I noticed flachau has a lot of red runs. I would say I’m a confident intermediate skiing would this be okay?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chubuking, depending on where you want to stay you can get some great deals around the Mayrhofen area that week, especially if you stay just out in somewhere like Hippach.

As an example, the Eadahof in Laimach, literally just below my house, I can see it across the farmers field, has an apartment that week for €480.80. You'd probably want a car though, but you're a 7 minute drive to the Horbergbahn from there with access up in the the Penken ski area (I skied it on my lunch break today). You're also a 7 minute drive to the gondola's at Zell am Ziller. Mayrhofen town is 10 minutes or so drive, and Zell am Ziller is about 3 minutes drive away.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chubuking, Send me a P.M. if you’re interested in Saalbach - a virtually ski-in ski-out apartment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chubuking, if you choose Saalbach and want a recommendation for location, then you will struggle to find better than @tatmantours apartment
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chubuking, Flachau pistes are on a Convex slope. Top two thirds are easy, bottom third a little steeper but they are so wide you could turn an oil tanker on them. You can always lift down (which you will do every day in Mayrhofen!) if you don't fancy it. Hop on the Panoramabahn and you have two 7km blues into Kleinarl or Flacahauwinkel. Similar length blues up and down to Zauchensee too.

@tatmanstours, is a good offer and you'd also fly into Salzburg for that. If you opt for Mayrhofen, I would suggest you stay in and ski the Kaltenbach area. That has better skiing for early intermediates than M'hofen itself.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chubuking, At work today, so here's a shot of the "middle third" on Red 6.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@chubuking, At work today, so here's a shot of the "middle third" on Red 6.

I’m sold
I will start looking for accommodation in flachau! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serfaus is coming out with very reasonable pricing. Their lift pass for 6 days in the low season is just €207! I managed to DIY for £800pp excluding the train to the resort.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chubuking, Seems like a decent deal, never been to Serfaus but I'd like to go, let us know what it's like? A mate and I are going to Val Thorens to a hotel on a half board basis on 9 Dec 2023 for a week. Return flights, half board accommodation plus 3V's 6 day lift pass for £740. Coach from Geneva airport to Val Thorens an extra £97.50 return.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markscotski wrote:
@chubuking, Seems like a decent deal, never been to Serfaus but I'd like to go, let us know what it's like? A mate and I are going to Val Thorens to a hotel on a half board basis on 9 Dec 2023 for a week. Return flights, half board accommodation plus 3V's 6 day lift pass for £740. Coach from Geneva airport to Val Thorens an extra £97.50 return.

That’s a very good price for a top resort. I went in March 2023 and have been following the instagram page ever since and the snow looks top notch so far. My only complaint is that the apres ski closes as soon the lift shuts whereas in Austria you can continue to party a little longer and ski down after.

I will report back! Going to finalise the bookings tomorrow.

This video from the serfaus team has definitely grabbed my attention

http://youtube.com/v/bfBWJxe-RBc?si=66SYrbTNje7oyzx5
snow report
Well they're all good places.

Been to Cervinia many times, and going again next year. I bought thermals the first time, but never ever used them. I'ts never been cold, and I've never not got to Zermatt for 4 days at least.

Also going to St Anton this year but can't help there, because first time. I love the Glacier in Kaprun, so that's a bonus of Saalbach/Zell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy