Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Goggles for Holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some new ski goggles, but find the endless options a bit overwhelming. I've not got any crazy needs - this is just for skiing once or twice a year on holiday.

Is it better to get an 'all-rounder' lens, or should I really be getting multiple lenses?

I saw this with a 32% VLT and not too pricey. Does that seem a good option?

Happy to spend more if needed. I like the look of the Vallon Freebirds, but mainly because of the design!

Could also go for photochromatic, but does it actually work well?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought in a hurry salomon xviews photo with a range of s1-s3 and I was very happy with them until I hit flat white. Then based on my research I went for Oakley prizm pink which I tested recently and can't tell if they make any noticeable difference.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One lens options:

Photochromic....Yes IMV they are a decent option. See this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164241

On standard lenses, I can talk about Oakley, as that is what I'm most familiar with.

I like their Prizm Rose, as it coped with most...though not as good as Prizm Hi Pink in very poor light...But..I think it may be discontinued, as I don't see it listed on Sport Rx.

If you default to a lighter lens, then Prizm Snow Persimmon, which is great in flat light but not too dazzling in Jan sun; if default to a darker lens, that gets you by in flat light, then Prizm Snow Torch.

Two lens solution:

Snow Sapphire or Snow Jade + Prizm Hi Pink.

Other brands are also excellent...but I have no direct experience.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to check the forecast and swap out my lens each day. However, the longer I've been riding the more lazy I've got with it. I just use prizm rose for everything now, and it's fine, to the point I won't bother with buying a second lens with future goggles. I do think if you are going to go down the one lens route it's better to go for something that excels in low light, as that tends to be much more of a problem than bright sunny days where even the low light (pink, rose, persimmon, yellow) lens do ok.

There is definitely a difference in quality of lenses. I've been out with people complaining about flat light before, when I felt it was fine. Only to swap goggles with them and realise mine were aiding a lot more. I just stick with Oakley's, they happened to be on sale when I bought my first pair of "proper" goggles and I've always been happy with them. I suspect some of the other brands are just as good.

Also, always try on goggles with your helmet to make sure they fit nicely.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boarder2020,
Quote:
I just use prizm rose for everything now, and it's fine, to the point I won't bother with buying a second lens with future goggles. I do think if you are going to go down the one lens route it's better to go for something that excels in low light, as that tends to be much more of a problem than bright sunny days where even the low light (pink, rose, persimmon, yellow) lens do ok.
+1. Also, having tried various makes, I too stick with Oakleys, having found a perfect fit from their huge range. They're comfy and they never steam up. Expensive, but if decently looked after (I put a cover on the lens when my helmet is hanging about eg in a restaurant, with my goggles on it, they're easily scratched) they should last well.

Quote:

always try on goggles with your helmet to make su
definitely
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy