Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Got Georgia on my mind

Poster: A snowHead
(Started by asking about USA, but have now booked Georgia to the east, see below…)

Wondering if I can get away with a 7-day inbounds fix without family before Christmas. Normally I go straight for Banff but I’m aware of limited daylight in Dec so looking south in USA. I notice flights south are €400 cheaper also.
I expect to DIY. If I don’t know the state I’m not sure where to start with accommodation, lift tickets etc! (no interest in the “we include these resorts” passes, I can never get to them). Ski level 7 on Inside Out scale. Don’t need apres, luxury, alcohol. Love scenery, light snow, variety, less people, a good night’s sleep.
With one eye on budget, anyone point to “I certainly suggest X rather than Y”, to narrow it down? And I’m aware that the 400 off the flight might be absorbed by lift ticket or accommodation
I’m looking at packages but very limited offers from Portugal!
Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-12-23 13:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The lift passes are a nightmare in the well known resorts. You might be better with Europe given the start we’ve had this year. Just looked at Whistler as I’m going in March and it looks bare.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
no interest in the “we include these resorts” passes, I can never get to them

I’m afraid you’re misinformed.

Depends on which mountain you want to ski, you may very well end up paying more on a 7 day pass in one mountain than using the inclusive passes on that same mountain for 7 days!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-12-23 16:39; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, Palisades and Alta barely have 30km open right now Sad

Thought I’d also look south east but Erciyes in Turkey and Gudauri in Georgia are also poor so far.

Wolf Creek was apparently claiming a lot on the comparison site but not on their own website…
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:
Quote:

Depends on this mountain you want to ski, you may very well end up paying more on a 7 day pass in one mountain than using the inclusive passes on that same mountain for 7 days!

Not misinformed but uninformed Little Angel If they are the cheapest way of getting 7 days in one place, I’m listening!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pre-Christmas is not a very reassuring time frame snow-wise. Variety in particular will be relatively hard to come by
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks. I looked a bit more at Wolf Creek, they say 90% open of 1600 acres which would be ok for me. Aside from transfer, already tricky, the next challenge is transport as all accommodation is 15+ miles away and no cheap transport that I can see. I could hire a car at the airport but I don’t trust myself winter driving after a day of skiing and with 7 hours jet lag, I fear I would kill more than just two birds!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Orange200, It is an El Nino year and thus far it is behaving like one. For you, this means that coming over here early is very risky. Not much is open yet, what is open is not worth flying over here for (and some of that is currently getting rinsed, at least on the west coast). Places that do well in El Nino years include Southern Colorado and New Mexico, places like Telluride and Taos. Both have what you've stated you're looking for, except maybe cost-wise. But it is still early. If you can wait until the last minute to pull the trigger, you should.

Bottom line, if I were you I'd stay on the Continent for this round.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aargh, truly the world is against me!

Thanks. Yes, Wolf Creek is SoCo.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Telluride and Taos are excellent mountains. But…

Trouble with early season is, the steep sections need more snow to be skiable. So it’s typically the last to open. So, even when it’s 90% open, you’re still missing the 10% that’s maybe the “signature” terrain of a mountain.

For me, and for many others who do early season trips, the trade-off is worth it if the flight, lodging, and lift pass is heavily discounted to account for the lack of snow guarantee.

What motivates you to travel so far? Is there some kind of promotion on flights?

Maybe look further east? Japan?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick plug, but answering the question.

I'm doing the Snow Reports for welove2ski so I've been following the N Hemisphere snow since the end of October.

As has been suggested, the best conditions combined with available terrain are in Europe at the moment.

Places like Gurgl, Ischgl, Solden, and St Anton in Austria; and Verbier, Switzerland would be high on my list if I could get out there.

For an adventure, the Palandoken sector of Ejder 3200 in Turkey is looking good.

https://welove2ski.com/snow-report
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@abc, really important info on the steeps, very many thanks. What motivates me is my love of inbounds skiing where I can try many different terrain and not worry about health insurance. It’s not impossible in the European Alps but I think very limited, just a few zones per resort. And right now I’m family-free, when normally it’s 4 plane tickets and lift passes per trip! Japan is a dream but that’s a 9 hour time difference for a 7 day trip, which I think would just torture me…

Thanks @Mike Pow, I was strongly thinking of Georgia, partly from your report and also I know someone there, but it’s not looking good right now… I’ll look at Turkey again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Orange200 wrote:
right now I’m family-free, when normally it’s 4 plane tickets and lift passes per trip!

I see.

You can either go some place you otherwise can’t afford but can just squeeze by for 1/4 cost on your solo trip. Or a budget place for dirt cheap that your family won’t put up with! Toofy Grin

But above all, chase the snow!

Quote:
Japan is a dream but that’s a 9 hour time difference for a 7 day trip, which I think would just torture me…

Isn’t Colorado already is 7 or 8 hours time difference? Can’t imagine Japan is that much worse.

Japan is well setup for solo travelers. Easy public buses to resort, inexpensive rooms too small for family but tolerable for a single…

But, listen to @Mike Pow. If he doesn’t recommend Japan right now, I certainly wouldn’t.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Quote:

Depends on which mountain you want to ski, you may very well end up paying more on a 7 day pass in one mountain than using the inclusive passes on that same mountain for 7 days!

For Aspen during peak times, that may well be true. In general, and pre-Xmas, not quite: the Ikon base pass is $979, the top-shelf one is $1,199. On the basis that I've seen some excited posts on r/skiing from Copper (Colorado - it's one of the closer resorts to Denver) and Alta in the last couple of days and both are on Ikon, here are the comparisons:

Alta - 6 day ticket is $910 at Alta (need the top-shelf pass)
Copper - 6 day ticket is $831 or $807 depending on which day you start next week

But, for someone like the OP, it could very well be worth it as the base pass gives you 5 days at Chamonix, Zermatt, Kitzbuhel, and on the Dolomiti Superski pass. The most expensive Ikon pass gives you 7 days at each of these. (OTOH, if that's where they're going to take a family of 4 later in the season, it might be a false economy, barring in the Dolomites.)

What I gather is that openings have been delayed at Alta each morning for avvy control & while terrain may be limited, there is still more open there than at Snowbird. There was an "interlodge" announced, when Alta shuts down and people can't drive up the canyon, and the people staying in resort lodging are basically locked in. (1/4 of the days last season were probably interlodge days, they had so much snow there...)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
Quote:

I second that! Very Happy
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:

Thanks @Mike Pow, I was strongly thinking of Georgia, partly from your report and also I know someone there, but it’s not looking good right now… I’ll look at Turkey again.

My pleasure

Which dates are you looking at?
ski holidays
Right now, the week before Christmas. I’m wondering now about making it the week after New Year, but that’s peak (Orthodox) holiday for them, so I’d pay money to go during the busy period, which seems rather upside down logic!
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
Right now, the week before Christmas. I’m wondering now about making it the week after New Year, but that’s peak (Orthodox) holiday for them, so I’d pay money to go during the busy period, which seems rather upside down logic!

Tetnuldi, Georgia may be coming in to play in the next 10 days
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Flying to Tbilisi? It shows circa 9 hours transfer time to the resort Skullie that is you can survive Georgian temperament and driving style Very Happy
Easier/faster to fly JPN
latest report
mooney058 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Flying to Tbilisi? It shows circa 9 hours transfer time to the resort Skullie that is you can survive Georgian temperament and driving style Very Happy
Easier/faster to fly JPN

Kutaisi
5 1/2 hrs
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, keep up the good work with the snow reports Very Happy
snow report
St Anton currently today has the best snow on the planet.
snow report
@Orange200, both Verbier and St Anton have itineraries where you can ski safely without knowledge / kit. They are also blessed with great terrain (better than anywhere in US) and currently have excellent snow conditions so pretty much everything open (at least in Verbier).
snow conditions
Well, call me mad but I’m going to Gudauri. Flights and hotel booked. It’s an adventure! TR now follows.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 8-12-23 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Orange200, always tempted by Gudauri - also due to Mike Pow Very Happy When and how are you doing it?
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
Well, call me mad but I’m going to Gudauri. Flights and hotel booked. It’s an adventure! I’ll put up a TR in due course.

Latest estimate is Opening Day on 15 December

Stacking up nicely

http://youtube.com/v/il_AoMSpaZE
snow report
I hope to be on the slopes 17th Dec and off them 22 Dec.

Flights were expensive I thought particularly the return on 23 Dec; about €800. Hotel was cheap at €180 for 6 nights, most were 350, this Melia seems very new I wonder if it was a promotion, but it could be also it’s not quite walkable to the lift. 6 days ski pass apparently €120. I also need a 2h taxi transfer which is apparently €40 each way and the last night in Tbilisi before the very early flight which is €30 for an 8.3 rated hotel close by.

Webcam shows snow, let’s see what happens Eh oh!
ski holidays
Flights: several from Lisbon that were expensive, had very long layovers, or arrived at 3am/ lunchtime next day. Plus the cheaper ones would only fly twice a week. I looked through skyscanner, got an idea of the best flights, and went direct to the airlines to buy outbound from AirBaltic and homeward from LOT accordingly. Hoping I’ll manage to get away with just a cabin bag…

It seems Hotel Melia only opened in September which is why it isn’t showing on Google maps or even Melia’s own site; worried I’d been scammed!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adventurous choice. Hope you get some powder!
snow conditions
Thanks @BobinCH, and for your comments on Verbier which I noticed too late Smile
latest report
@Orange200, often eyed up Georgia - looking forward to the TR.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
I hope to be on the slopes 17th Dec and off them 22 Dec.

Flights were expensive I thought particularly the return on 23 Dec; about €800. Hotel was cheap at €180 for 6 nights, most were 350, this Melia seems very new I wonder if it was a promotion, but it could be also it’s not quite walkable to the lift. 6 days ski pass apparently €120. I also need a 2h taxi transfer which is apparently €40 each way and the last night in Tbilisi before the very early flight which is €30 for an 8.3 rated hotel close by.

Webcam shows snow, let’s see what happens Eh oh!

You might have the golden ticket and get conditions like Nerys & I had back in Jan 2016

It's puking

And temperatures stay well below freezing through to the 21st at least
snow report
Super tempting - looking forward to that TR Very Happy
snow report
If you're taking a rental car, be aware of the new (stricter) winter tire and snowchain laws in Georgia this winter.
ski holidays
First pair of flights with Air Baltic. I crushed everything into hand luggage (40L rucksack) except a helmet carried separately, as I didn’t want to lose luggage in a tight changeover. Just as well as a delay leaving Lisbon cut the change in Riga from 2h to 45min, but made it despite having my Portuguese ID card scrutinised and UK passport stamped. Very new, clean A220 planes, but for 4-hr flights a USB socket would be nice! Route took a dog leg to avoid Ukrainian and Russian airspace but apparently a tailwind of 150kmh+ helped.
ski holidays
Through immigration easily (no problem UK passports). Pretty crazy 2h taxi ride to Gudauri, after passing under Tbilisi’s frankly stunning Christmas decorations; bumpy single lane road in the dark with trucks and other drivers treating it as a racetrack, with a few overtakes round blind bends. I was half asleep and kept my eyes closed, doubtless better for blood pressure. Noticed the driver crossed himself at several points. He was making me cross too. Into Gudauri around 8am but another 30 min up and down to find Melia hotel which eventually seems to be a new name for the 2100, with no identification whatsoever. Very post Soviet breakfast, zone out on bed until 1130. Find ski rental downstairs, boots fit fine, the widest they have are respectably new Fischer 70, in 172 length (I’m 178 tall). Took them for 40GEL/day. I can speak English but even the younger ones seem to be more comfortable with Russian.
ski holidays
It has dumped recently so conditions are deep snow under crust. Hotel is nominally ski in-out, so I careen precariously down a narrow crusty track until it widens, is more compacted, and I get to the bottom of the lift where I buy a contactless pass for 5 days for 300 GEL. Up two lifts (modern, one with hoods) and stop for good coffee and spicy wedges where the Wi-Fi name is “Russian Warship” and the password is… not very polite Smile The chalkboard menu brazenly declares in English “if you share the imperialist policy of Russia you have no place in our cafe”, beside Georgian EU and Ukrainian flags. They are 15km from the Russian border!! Many people there are not skiing, just taking photos it seems. I wonder if it’s because today is Sunday.

I looked out over the white, punctuated by lifts (bubble, chair, drag), dips, occasional semi-submerged rock or stream, trying to get a sense of layout and potential. Spend the rest of the afternoon up and down a few lifts on blue (red?) runs remembering my piste technique. Weather is dull and occasional dust flurries make the light flat, and zero trees mean I’m cautious on the undulating expanse of white. But bursts of light and other skiers mean I pick up confidence and identify clear pistes. Until about 4pm where concern for the light has me heading home - in totally the wrong direction. Attempts to cut across the seductive but man-eating eiderdowns again see me flailing in deep crust. Got home eventually after the 15min walk of shame back up the roadway (hmm, still light at 5pm, maybe I was over cautious). Apparently there is a cut through to ski back directly but I haven’t found it yet. Drop skis and boots at the shop for tomorrow, where the guy warns me lifts will only open at 10. So my time zone won’t be abused.

Day 1: really growing into it Smile.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 23-12-23 20:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Weather report says sunny and cold for the rest of my stay so hopefully building confidence in the layout.
snow conditions
@Orange200, quite the adventure! One day...
snow conditions
@Orange200, no pics? Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy