Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One pair of skis or two?

Poster: A snowHead
I grew up skiing at Squaw Valley/Lake Tahoe, and then gave it up for decades. Now living in Europe, I got back into the sport a few years ago. I’ve gotten by on rented equipment, but this season I’m buying my own stuff. When renting, I’d opt for the top of the line GS ski offered, whether Völkl Racetiger, Atomic Redster, Stockli Laser, etc. I liked them all (and they certainly all performed better than the 207 cm Rossignol SMs I was skiing on when I gave it up in the early ‘80s).I figured I’d buy something in that category, until someone whose opinion I respect asked me why I’d want race skis for my one pair of skis. He instead suggested the wider, presumably more versatile, Volkl Kendo 88s. And indeed, when I researched them, I saw that they get high marks from the reviewers. But then I asked myself if I might be giving something up by going wider. Almost 100% of my skiing is on groomed pistes, going fairly fast, making big turns. I’d love to ski powder, but there hasn’t been so much in the Dolomites. That said, the few times I found myself in 3-5 inches of fresh stuff (“cheater snow,” we used to call it), GS skis were fine. So now I’m wondering if I should stick with GS skis, or if I would indeed benefit from whatever category the Volkl Kendo 88s are in. Or maybe I need two pairs of skis, and if so why get something in the middle instead of getting a carving ski and a much wider one. Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get an all-mountain ski.

Goes everywhere, on and off the piste.

One and done.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for one. Get a piste-leaning AM. I love my Mantras and there's others out there. I also have some fatties for rare deep days, but that's it. When I had a multi-ski quiver it seemed like I was too often on the "wrong ski", which seemed contrary to what I was trying to accomplish, and honestly was kind of a downer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to clarify, all mountain is the 80-90mm width that includes the Völkl Kendo 88?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are some carving piste skis that are now available in a slightly wider waist. I got the Doberman Spitfire 80 RB in 180 and they are great in all piste conditions. Narrow enough to be able to get onto edge to carve big turns, decent when the piste has a few inches of fresh snow, and solid when it is cut up. It's a Bentley of a ski, gentleman's high speed grand touring ski. They are used mostly in the Dolomiti SuperSki. Fischer to a Curv GT advanced piste ski in an 82 width.

I do not go off piste though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If 100% of your skiing is, and is going to be, on pistes in the Dolomites, just get a pure piste ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would also suggest either a piste-leaning AM ski, or a wider Carving ski....so, probably 80-88 underfoot.

You could consider:

Blizzard Brahma 82 or 88
Rossignol Experience 82Ti or 86Ti
Head Titan 80
Volkl Kendo 88
Volkl Kanjo 84
Elan Wingman 82CTi or 86CTi

Ideally, try before you buy.

I wouldn't get 2 pairs, if you spend most of your time On Piste....and I would also look at the more narrow waist options.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 4-12-23 18:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the Alps I like a 2 ski set up - Atomic Redster X9s for the groomers and something like a Salomon QST 106 for everything else. Personally I've grown to dislike most all mountain skis (mantra excluded)finding them a Jack of All Trades, Master of None. Fortunately I don't travel with them. My QST's have shift bindings and get used for short tours
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Volkl Kendo ..... Done! Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Happy with my Kendo's - from 2-3ft frsh powder to carving groomed runs.

Of course with any one ski there will be compromises, just what and where you want that to be. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try before buying. My current ski is Dynastar Legend X97 which is great both on and off piste but my previous was Atomic SL11 which was equally good but slightly harder work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gordyjh wrote:
Atomic SL11 which was equally good but slightly harder work.

I have some SL11s...very long in the tooth now. Terrific skis and more versatile than one would imagine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones wrote:
Of course with any one ski there will be compromises…
This is the key point. The art of ski selection is to minimise the compromises you need to make. If you spend all of your time on piste, and your preference is for longer radius, higher speed turns, do you think an all-mountain ski is the best way to minimise the compromises that inevitably come with a one-ski quiver…?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, I bought them 20 years ago when I mainly skied on piste. They were also great off piste but when they died, I got something more powder-orientated.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gordyjh wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I bought them 20 years ago & stopped using them when they died…

Very similar...mine are from 2004, though still in great nick...but now kept for Rock Hoppers.
snow conditions
mikxe wrote:
Almost 100% of my skiing is on groomed pistes, going fairly fast, making big turns.

Given this, and that you are used to the performance of GS skis, I think that wider all mountain skis will feel like a disappointment. Yes they'll go anywhere but they are not going to be so much fun in the conditions you mainly ski in. Definitely don't buy wider without trying.

In your situation I'd go for one ski like you are used to and hire on the occasional powder day.
snow report
Doesn’t a stiff GS ski have a very limited sweet spot ie carving on quiet, not too steep, well prepared pistes? Outside that they become a handful. Something like the Kendo mentioned still has a GS radius but will be much easier to ski in less than perfect piste conditions and much more fun off piste.

Nice review of the Kendo here by one of Warren Smiths instructors
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0RWspjINCe/?igshid=N2ViNmM2MDRjNw==
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
mikxe wrote:
Almost 100% of my skiing is on groomed pistes, going fairly fast, making big turns.

Given this, and that you are used to the performance of GS skis, I think that wider all mountain skis will feel like a disappointment. Yes they'll go anywhere but they are not going to be so much fun in the conditions you mainly ski in. Definitely don't buy wider without trying.

In your situation I'd go for one ski like you are used to and hire on the occasional powder day.

This. For a piste skier in the Dollies buy a piste performance ski, not necessarily FIS GS as they aren't the best in traffic. If you find yourself wanting to get offpiste consider adding another ski thereafter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy