Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 days in Lauterbrunnen - share your wisdom with me please

Poster: A snowHead
Non-skier wife and I start in UK visiting her mum, then fly down to GVA where we catch a train to Lauterbrunnen on Jan 2, staying in a friend’s condo for 10 days. He won’t be there, and isn’t a skier anyways, wife and I have been busy researching the area - never been before.

Looks amazing. Watched On Her Majesty’s Secret Service last night - worst Bond and Bond movie ever rolling eyes Razz But was great to see some images of where we’ll be, and the cable car up to the hideout.

Since wife doesn’t alpine ski, she’ll be Nordic skiing, snow hiking, and maybe do a sledging run or two - all of which I’m interested in, too, in addition to getting 5-7 days or so in on the slopes there. We’re finding it really challenging to figure out the most cost-effective combination of passes/tickets for the various SBB trains, trams and lift passes that we’ll need while we’re there. Also, what things to do while there.

I’m thinking skiing at both Murren and Wengen will feature, along with at least one run from the top of Jungfraujoch (?). I know they sell multi day ski passes, but I’m confused about what lifts/trams such a pass includes. And then SBB sells different passes, and there are also different local/regional passes for the trams and buses. Driving us both a bit nutty. If anyone here has figured things out for that part of the world would really appreciate hearing about it. Questions:
1. Which passes would you recommend for my wife and I?
- we will both start from GVA airport and return there 10 days later, via SBB train.
- I will ski for 5-7 days. Which places should I prioritize? How many days would you recommend in each? (I’m advanced skier, trees, powder, piste, side country - not back country). I’ll have my own skis (bringing my wide boards. - DPS - 16m radius, so good everywhere).
- she will Nordic ski (classic) in the valley and anywhere else nearby of interest - where? Passes needed?
- I may want to join her a day or two doing Nordic - I’d need to rent Nordic skis. She’ll have her own gear.
- Love to do a sledge run - maybe a night time run?
- Love to go up to top of Jungfraujock and/or Schilthorn(?).
- She’ll probably want to snow hike on one of the days - I may join her on an off day. Where? Which hike? (With crampons).
2. Any day trip recs? Bus/train? To where?
3. Other tips/recommendations on the local scene?
- Lauberhorn ski races start on Jan 12, the day before we leave. Worth a look?

Thanks for any tips/recommendations/local knowledge. Can’t wait! And from GVA we head to 3V for a week with our ski club - big fun this winter.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Jungfrau topic is full of experts in this area but here's my knowledge.

1. If you book your train and ski pass with SSB I believe you get 10% discount. The ski pass covers the train up to Wengen and Murren. I'd suggest splitting your time between Wengen and Murren. Grindelwald is doable but is more of a journey (others might disagree but I think Grindelwald the least good of the three areas)
There are day passes for sledging and hiking. Routes are also listed on there.
Get over to Jungfrau.ch and have a look. The "Jungfrau region" website has details of the XC skiing. Lauterbrunnen isn't always very snowy but you could do a day trip to Kandersteg where you can ski on a plateau.
2. Interlaken is worth a visit. The train network is excellent so you can cover some ground, especially if you want to visit any of the cities (be aware, most things close on a Sunday)
3. The races are incredible but the trains get really busy and you'll need tickets

Hope you have a excellent time
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom_Ski, Take plenty of $, it's an expensive area. Have fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where do I begin....... Lauterbrunnen is my winter home and has been for the last 20 years!
Really have set myself up there haven't I!
You @Tom_Ski, will need a Jungfrau region full area lift pass, certainly for 5 or 6 days.
While it isn't cheap it is reasonable value for money, it's imperative that you journey across to Grindelwald to fully cover the area. Far easier trip than many will tell you.
Jungfraujoch will have no skiing in January, too early in the season. There are no descents on the north face to bring you back to the normal area.
Mrs Tom..... it looks likely that we are going to have snow cover in the valley. The langlauf track is always well maintained and must be one of the most dramatic settings in the world!!
Grindelwald also prepare a langlauf down at the Grund part of town.
The alpine ski area also has runs down to Grund so you could meet up.
I must confess ignorance to the type of ticket required for using the cross country trails, I am hoping one of my co-contributers will fill in some blanks.
I am Roger my wife is Sue we should arrive in Lauterbrunnen on the evening of Sunday 7th January.
So far no mention of the race. The practice days are formidable and open to everyone on the mountain. Race day is ticketed, around 40 Swiss I think .
I hope @telford-mike will be along soon to edit and embellish my contribution .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, Grumpy and Roger - very much appreciate your input.

And Markymark - yes, looks hella expensive over in der Schweitz based on the prices for lift tickets, trams, etc. Yikes. At least our friend has us covered on the accommo. I have a feeling, though, we’ll more than make up for it between trying to be all Euro/James Bondy in our adventures and trying out the local cuisine at restaurants.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I suspect the Jungfrau lift pass will be quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent large resort in the US....

You can also save money on the train by buying a Saver Day Pass in advance, which is only 52 CHF each way.

One other thing: it's a long (and rather pleasant) train ride, but make sure you leave enough time after your flight lands to get to Lauterbrunnen, and vice-versa on the return. For example, you don't want to land at Geneva any later than 5pm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom_Ski, contrary to reviews at that time; nowadays On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is considered the best James Bond by many...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tom_Ski, Roger is our resident Lauterbrunnen expert, but I'll offer the following:

Get the SBB (Swiss public transport) app. This covers all public transport, trains, busses, cable cars etc. You can use it to see timetables and buy tickets. It’s essential. https://www.sbb.ch/en/travel-information/apps/sbb-mobile.html

Suggestion for a snow hike. Get the train up to Wengen (12 minutes) and hike to the Leiterhorn. Incredible views of the mountains, and you probably won't see another soul. Details of this (and more): https://wengen.swiss/en/winter/region/wengen/services/walking-trails-around-of-wengen/

Passes. You'll need a Jungfrau region pass for alpine skiing. This also covers the vast majority of public transport in the area. There's no need to pre-book, just buy one from the railway station at Lauterbrunnen. https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/buy-skipass/

Your wife can buy a sledging / hiking pass. It includes everything that the ski pass covers with the exception of ski lifts. https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/jungfrau-region-hiking-sledging-pass/

Cross country skiing. Ask at the tourist office in Lauterbrunnen. If the trail in the valley is open, it’s absolutely gorgeous.

Sledging. Great runs above Wengen back to the village, or from Männlichen down towards Hölenstein. You can rent sledges everywhere.

Getting to/from the airport to Lauterbrunnen. The SBB app will advise you on this.

Other stuff. There's not much nightlife in Lauterbrunnen (one pub), but a quick trip on the train to Wengen will provide all sorts of opportunities. I'd particularly recommend Sunday evening at the Alpine Hotel, with live music from a band called Uptown Lights. If you find yourself craving Chinese food, there's a surprisingly good restaurant in Mürren, whilst Wengen has a great Indian. There's a popular Facebook group called ‘What’s on in Wengen', which most of the local events will appear on.

Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't miss Rocks bar in Wengen. Cocktail heaven (and beer, and sport on TV). Have a great trip!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It may have changed but the ski pass and hiking pass used to include train travel to Interlaken Ost - a bit of a hike into downtown Interlaken but nice for a change or an evening out.

Lauterbrunnen has a perfectly adequate coop.

+1 for Rocks.

As for walks - a brilliant area with many walking routes pisted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for the additional info, Hilbert, T-Mike, and Countryman. Just fantastically helpful.

Question re the trail maps: there’s a speedometer symbol with KM/H next to it on the trail map. Anyone know what this means? It’s on trail 45 coming down from Wengeralp, and trail 21 coming down from Kleinescheidigg.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tom_Ski, it means there's a speed trap. Unlike the ones on the roads, these give you a readout of your top speed for extra bragging rights in the bar. They’re fenced-off from the regular piste, so you can have a good crack at breaking your personal speed record without colliding with other skiers. The record is 161.9km/h. Go for it!

https://jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/see-and-do/excursions/region-of-superlatives/conquer-the-lauberhorn-downhill/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike wrote:
@Tom_Ski, it means there's a speed trap. Unlike the ones on the roads, these give you a readout of your top speed for extra bragging rights in the bar. They’re fenced-off from the regular piste, so you can have a good crack at breaking your personal speed record without colliding with other skiers. The record is 161.9km/h. Go for it!

https://jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/see-and-do/excursions/region-of-superlatives/conquer-the-lauberhorn-downhill/

Shocked Cool Cool. Thanks. I don’t think the record will be in any danger of being broken on my account.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tom_Ski, I would also recommend getting over to Grindelwald, there’s some really nice runs that side and you get a beautiful view along the Jungfrau range. There’s a long zip wire at First/Schreckfeld. It’s free and you just take your skis off and then take the lift back up.
Looking at a map the area looks quite separate and some think it’s a faff getting around but it’s actually really quite simple especially if you consider the trains and funiculars as all part of the experience, which they are with some amazing views and scenery.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well said@jirac18, !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jirac18 wrote:
@Tom_Ski, I would also recommend getting over to Grindelwald, there’s some really nice runs that side and you get a beautiful view along the Jungfrau range. There’s a long zip wire at First/Schreckfeld. It’s free and you just take your skis off and then take the lift back up.
Looking at a map the area looks quite separate and some think it’s a faff getting around but it’s actually really quite simple especially if you consider the trains and funiculars as all part of the experience, which they are with some amazing views and scenery.

Thanks. Yes, that looks like a must do - at least once if not several times, given the options once there. Looks like there’s a great sled run there in addition to the skiing. Getting excited about this trip.
snow report
@Tom_Ski, now that you've got some basics, follow the Jungfrau Region thread to get day to day updates. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5205104#5205104
latest report
@telford_mike, Is Trummelbach Falls accessible during the winter for a non ski activity?
If it is @Tom_Ski, worth a look. The road from Lauterbrunnen to Murren has some amazing rock cliffs, that section of landscape was inspiration for Tolkien in writing Lord of the Rings, it was an area he loved to visit.
Also on a fine day keep your eyes peeled for skiers parachuting from the top of the Schilthorn and riding thermals in the valley. I saw two guys ski straight off and edge on the wrong side of the fence from the Bond restaurant at the top and my heart stopped as I thought they’d messed up but then a few seconds later chutes opened! It was quite incredible to see.
latest report
@jirac18, Closed in winter, gets too icy.
ski holidays
Wingsuiters give me the heebeejeebees

There’s a bar in Lauterbrunnen frequented by them. There’s a memorial photo wall for all the ones who are no longer around
ski holidays
Thanks for the pointer to the other thread, TMike - guess I’ll just pick it up “midway” through - on page 110 or so… Confused
Had no idea we were going to the land of Hobbits. Interesting. The more we research this the more exciting it gets. Funny how LB appears to be pretty well-known in Europe, but virtually unheard of here in the US, at least among the circles I travel in. Nice to see some schnee coming in.
ski holidays
Simple answer to the comment about Lauterbrunnen being unheard of. @Tom_Ski,
The "resorts" are Wengen, Mürren & Grindelwald. Lauter's is only another Swiss village.
Worry not, it makes for an extremely versatile base to explore the region!
snow conditions
Tom_Ski wrote:

Looks amazing. Watched On Her Majesty’s Secret Service last night - worst Bond and Bond movie ever rolling eyes Razz

I can't let that go - Lazenby was a far better Bond than Moore and indeed most of the others. I always thought it sad that he was dropped.

There was a lot to like in the movie too, definitely one of my all-time favourites. And it has one of the best endingoness ever of any movie, not just Bond movies. Still can't watch it without a tear or three.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Tom_Ski wrote:

Looks amazing. Watched On Her Majesty’s Secret Service last night - worst Bond and Bond movie ever rolling eyes Razz

I can't let that go - Lazenby was a far better Bond than Moore and indeed most of the others. I always thought it sad that he was dropped.

There was a lot to like in the movie too, definitely one of my all-time favourites. And it has one of the best endingoness ever of any movie, not just Bond movies. Still can't watch it without a tear or three.

Well you (and @Langerzug) aren’t alone on that. Rotten Tomatoes has it 81% Fresh and in the #9 slot on their list of all 27 Bond films ranking. https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/james-bond-movies/

Perhaps I was a little hasty and harsh in my judgement there. And yes, the ending was a bit heartbreaking - if not predictable - can’t have a married, JB, can we? I guess I paid too close attention to little details like endless ski run chases and implausible cause/effect activities onscreen. (I know I know. “What’s that you say? Implausible? In a Bond film?? Yeah - that never happens.” lol Very Happy).
latest report
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Wingsuiters give me the heebeejeebees

There’s a bar in Lauterbrunnen frequented by them. There’s a memorial photo wall for all the ones who are no longer around

Yep - that's the Horner pub - I've spent many-a night in there.

I always stay in Lauters because it gives me the option of Wengen or Muren depending on my mood.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy