Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best liquor for a hip flask

Poster: A snowHead
Many years ago when I was younger and it was a trendy tipple, we would add Ammareto (Disarono) everything from Vin Chaud/Gluhwein to hot chocolate and or coffee. We would take this in a hip flask rather than pay mountain prices.

What is your go to for a little nip on the mountain? Specifically for adding to things rather than neat.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd rather have all my wits about me rather than topping up from the night before when skiing, imv alcohol on the mountains at the end of the day is OK so long as pistes are empty when they've finished and the only person they are going to endanger when skiing/ boarding drunk is themselves, seen a few over the years come a cropper and falling and/ or hitting an odd tree or 2 when they ski off the edge etc. Too many people unfortunately can't behave under the influence and after lunch i'm particularly wary of others......so my answer is a bottle not a flask of water wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stroh 80. We're looking for punishment, rather than pleasure, though Toofy Grin

I'll add that this is at the end of the home run, as I wouldn't want to board with that in me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stroh , JD&Honey, 43 .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like a Sloe Gin, but I also find a Whisky Liqueur of some sort works well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Home made sloe gin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
......so my answer is a bottle not a flask of water

I feel that I don't drink enough if a bottle of water gets really cold. I take a metal vacuum flask of hot water with a bit of one of the fruit cordial mixes that comes in cans from a French supermarket.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Finnish cloudberry liquor beat all brandeys and whiskeys in a blind tasting some years ago!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank god. After the first answer I thought the fun police were about to come out in force. May try a Sloe Gin.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
......so my answer is a bottle not a flask of water

I feel that I don't drink enough if a bottle of water gets really cold. I take a metal vacuum flask of hot water with a bit of one of the fruit cordial mixes that comes in cans from a French supermarket.

I generally have a hydration pack in my backpack with an insulated hose. I've never ever found it too cold.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@afterski, Me neither, but in fairness I run hot and steam a lot so take on a lot of fluids!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sloe whisky quite nice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drambuie or glayva liqueur.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take a hipflask of port ot the theatre with me Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Prefer a dark rum. Adds nicely to things for the happiest of hot chocolates or coffees or on its own
snow conditions
A spot of white port...makes a very nice addition to a hot chocolate, not enough to affect the skiing though!
snow report
Peppermint schnapps added to a cup of hot chocolate will warm the cockles of your heart all the way down to your toes. For the win.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Sloe whisky quite nice

I once made bramble whisky, that was very nice too.
latest report
Yes, dark spice rum for hot chocolate. However I would quickly loose track with how much I have drunk in my in drink so avoid 40% stuff… and I try to be responsible drunk. Hence Port or schnapps, etc. Even a small shop bought bottle of yaegertree
snow conditions
Kings Ginger, or Limoncello when in Italy. Sipped neat.
snow report
For adding to coffee to make a cafe corretto, then it's normally pear schnapps. For drinking on its own probably the best was/is (not sure if I've still got any left) damson vodka
ski holidays
I was introduced to Red Stag - black cherry bourbon, when sharing a lift with a patroller in the Cottonwoods - seemed to work well. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The one you like.
latest report
Bones wrote:
I was introduced to Red Stag - black cherry bourbon, when sharing a lift with a patroller in the Cottonwoods - seemed to work well. Madeye-Smiley

Had to google that & see its on offer Very Happy
Sounded nice & see it is Jim Beam

Edit - reviews seem awful since dropping from 40% to 32%
No surprise

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 1-12-23 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Bourbon is good for sippin' or slippin' (into a chocolat chaud).
ski holidays
A Percy Special: Cherry Heering (cherry brandy) and whisky 50:50. Makes the couloirs shallower.
snow report
I used to take Southern Comfort in a hip flask. I now find SC too sweet and haven't taken a hip flask for a few years. I make do with a glass of vin rouge at lunch Laughing
latest report
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poitín

If it makes your eyes water, then just rub it into saw muscles instead.

Skullie
ski holidays
Knob Creek, the only Bourbon I'll drink. It's lush.
latest report
Stags breath
snow report
Somerset Cider Brandy 20 Year Old is amazing, but it is £120 a bottle.
snow report
Spiced rum, the darker the better Smile
snow report
Port and brandy mix
snow report
@Markymark29, +1 absolutely. Rather leave my drinking to the end of the day, for the same reasons.

As an aside, I always thought that the alcohol in Glühwein pretty much was boiled off in the process. Perhaps in most places it is. One cold day at Trittalpe, I had 2 and did not realise how blasted I was until I stood up. I did not enjoy the ski down…
latest report
@Markymark29, @ulmerhutte, you're both absolutely correct. All alcohol should be banned from all restaurants on the hill. Come to think of it, all fatty or high cholesterol foods while we're at it. People just cannot be trusted to behave responsibly and look after themselves. Possibly ban skiing altogether, because I've seen idiots causing accidents off the first lift. Just stay at home folks, it's the only safe thing to do.
snow report
Passing round a hip flask in a cold gondola, a quick nip to warm the cockles, is not a danger to anyone.

Laughing @Dr John,
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Port and brandy mix

Intriguing, I've never tried it but it is sometimes stated as the best hangover cure.

I like a light whisky like Bruichladdich or Ancnoc with a wee dash of water. I also like dark rum El Dorado and Doorlys. I've tried calvados too which worked well.
snow conditions
@sean1967, the brandy provides the warming and the port gives it a bit of yummy sweetness.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@sean1967, the brandy provides the warming and the port gives it a bit of yummy sweetness.

Nice. I will give it a try when. I have a bottle of brandy arriving with the premature Christmas drinks order and a few bottles of port left from last year.

Is it a straight 50/50 mix?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy