Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4Vs for Novice Snowboarders in December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For reasons best left unexplained, my 15yo and 17yo (Lad 2 & Lad 3 in my trip reports) and I have decided to switch to snowboarding for this season. We are all good skiers (Lad 2 is a near expert) with all of one (1) hour of snowboard instruction at HH early last year. Due to time constraints, we weren't able to get into a learn-to-snowboard-in-a-day programme, and are now faced with doing this the hard way. We are leaving our skis and boots at home and so will be pot-committed to the endeavour.

We have flights to Geneva on 16 December (returning on the 23d). I am ISO a reasonably snowy resort within a 4hr transfer from GVA and lift-side accomodation, with suitable terrain for overconfident novice snowboarders. My current intention to get all-day (or near enough) private lessons for the whole week. Early season conditions are leaning me toward the 4Vs (where Lad 2 and I have spent a week a couple of years ago (see TR in sig)). Undecided where to base ourselves: while I liked Veysonnaz due to the easy train/scheduled bus transfer from GVA, the home run feels a little spicy for the first couple of days. Siviez may be a better shout with the ability to lap Tortin nonstop for the first couple of days and v.v. cheap accomodation (necessary given the CHF needed for the lessons!), but is a little isolated (not withstanding its centrality) and a bit more of a faff to get to unless we hire a car. Verbier proper is looking a little pricey but would have less of a training camp feel compared to Siviez (Lad 2 at least wouldn't mind a bit of nightlife: plusses and minuses involved there NehNeh ). Any Nendaz/Tzoumaz partisans willing to state their case?

Would consider alternatives within reasonable striking distance from GVA. We go to the 3Vs all the time (and are going again in Feb HT). If this were later in the season I'd go to Méribel without question but as much as I love the 3Vs, I don't really love Val T. The PdS is just too low. Chamonix outside of Le Tour is too scary for me on a snowboard. I've (weirdly) not been to GM, Tignes/Val d'Isere or Les Arcs, is there any reason to prefer these to the 4Vs for mid December?

Trying to stay disciplined enough to avoid pulling the trigger until the snow forecast dictates the choice, but given the need to book lessons, my resolve is wavering.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nendaz a good option too, gondola from village centre straight up in one hit to nursery area etc. Really good variety of home run from there to keep going round and with progression of route as skills come along. New link over to Siviez area (ride the lift return into Nnedaz area for early skills) all adding up to fairly extensive reach for demands in learning.
More nightlife than Siviez, safe and decent atmosphere in village should be ideal.
Direct bus service up from rail link in valley too, with no other need for transport.
Link up to top of Verbier ridge with reasonable access down there and lifted back to miss the itinerary routes to Siviez, all practical to get around if skills allow.

Have visited many times 1st week January, generally good snow and altitude to keep it. Seems ideal given budget and skills etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Espace Killy would tick your boxes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs good (ideal actually) too, but comparative travel into Tarantaise vs Nendaz for example, much more nuanced Very Happy and costly generally.

Think it's Sion train station and just normal schedule bus up to Nendaz, some of our mixed group have used it. Very convenient.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes / Val d'Isere a good shout for sure and arguably more snow-sure even than Verbier/4V. There's already loads of snow (was epic today!) and loads more forecast this week. It's going to be a little bit warm and rainy in many places, but rain to 2000m = Snow in resort in Tignes!

I'm a snowboard instructor based in the area. Drop me a PM if you're keen and I might be able to put an accom / instruction / potentially transfer package together for you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

wouldn't mind a bit of nightlife

I'd kind of think most places will still be pretty quiet on that front?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you like Veysonnaz, couldn't you just get either gondola down?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd wrote:
Tignes / Val d'Isere a good shout for sure and arguably more snow-sure even than Verbier/4V. There's already loads of snow (was epic today!) and loads more forecast this week. It's going to be a little bit warm and rainy in many places, but rain to 2000m = Snow in resort in Tignes!

I'm a snowboard instructor based in the area. Drop me a PM if you're keen and I might be able to put an accom / instruction / potentially transfer package together for you.

Another great place to learn as well, Ste Foy. The blue from 6 Pax absolutely superb for laps etc, if you are open there.

To the OP, a very friendly welcome and nice contrast to visit vs 3V.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevomcd, Thanks! Have sent a PM.
@rjs, I'm not sure I could handle the shame or either (1) downloading or (2) being the subject of the comedy that was on offer from our balcony in Hotel Magrappé. Embarassed wink
@ski3, Notwithstanding the above, Nendaz is certainly in contention, but when Lad 2 and I were there in December '21, there were quite a few closed pistes in the sector (at least compared to Thyon) so will need to monitor conditions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier.

Slam it on a creditcard.

Worry about the debt next year Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A La Tzoumaz apt owner here. The weekend you go out sees most of the lifts and pistes across the area open. As long as there's not any sort of thaw of course. La Tzoumaz and Nendaz will be cheaper than Verbier, as you'd expect. A 2-bedroom apartment like ours in LTZ with underground parking and linen, hot water etc included will be ~ €1200 but there are others less central/smaller more like €800. Not sure if the SBB saver day pass at CHF 52 each way (CHF 312 for 3 adults return) will work out cheaper than a hire car (see the www.SBB.ch/en timetable page). A lot of the lower slopes will be open for the first time that week, so not a bad time to go as it is less likely to be skied out vs after the New Year. LTZ has some bars and restaurants but is no party village. It strikes me that the quieter and gentler Tzoumaz-Savoleyres pistes might suit you quite well if you're fairly new boarders, and after 2-3 days on them, move to Verbier.

Getting to the Verbier hub means either going up in the télécabine to Savoleyres then down to Verbier, then navette to Carrefour-Mayentzet. Or up to Savoleyres and if there's no avalanche danger, then a long run to Carrefour-Mayentzet (video below), or if that's closed due to avalanche, a bit of a trek skiing down to the learner slopes, then back up the poma to Carrefour and Mayentzet. Obvs Verbier near Médran or Mayentzet is the ideal but that may cost a fair bit more. Getting back you'd probably prefer to ski down to Carrefour, and hop on the navette to 200 Savoleyres gondola, as opposed to down to Médran, navette to 200.

Our rental agency is the British-run 4 Vallées 4 Saisons. Take a look if you're interested in seeing what's on offer in La Tzoumaz. Set 'Destination' To La Tzoumaz and refine the result to what you want.

If you did opt to take the train/télépherique/PostBus to La Tzoumaz then bear in mind there's a bit of a gap around lunchtime in the connection between Isérables and LTZ. But there's a nice Auberge 'Le Mont Gelé' by the télépherique-bustop where you can get lunch or snacks (and drinks) at a reasonable price. I've done some downloadable guides for our own clients to car rental from GVA to LTZ (LTZ2) and public transport guide (LTZ3). The former includes information on shopping en route if you're self-catering. There's also a village guide (LTZ4). See HERE

The 'Planards-Carrefour' run from below Savoleyres down to Carrefour (then 100m on to Mayentzet):

http://youtube.com/v/8_d-LgkoDmA?si=tkiqWGFf5-hplydE

At 1m11s you see the avalanche gate. If this is closed, then you have to turn right and ski down to the road to Carrefour. You can either catch the bus there, or ski on through the learner slope, into Verbier and get the draglift up to Mayentzet. You'll see people going under it but whether you follow is up to you. Not sure what your insurance position is if you skied thorugh a big locked gate with signs and got hit by an avalanche. Which do run across this track.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 29-11-23 23:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dyrlac, we've stayed here often in Nendaz https://www.maeva.com/en-gb/residence-victoria-1-d2_69733.html literally next to home piste.

The picture with car parking in front of building is viewed from the piste, just a walk out and go down to gondola in the morning, straight back in on return. Prices aren't bad for apartment.

Yes, definitely worthwhile checking snow reality before booking in December.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checking back in; after much to-ing and fro-ing, am here in Tignes le Lac drinking a dreadful bottle of rough, rough Savoie red with Lad 2 on the Nintendo and Lad 3 passed out in a fondue coma. Given weather over the past week, I’m feeling pretty smug about going high and pleased to be in a new-to-us resort, which ultimately tipped it against the 4Vs, but thank you everyone for the tips … we will definitely be back. Snowboards in hand, padded pants acquired and contemplating the notional ski* out from our accommodation down to where we’re meeting @stevomcd’s lot at 0900 tomorrow. Have watched enough YouTube that surely nothing can go wrong. Confused

* when snowboarding do you have to substitute “board” for “ski” in all references?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dyrlac wrote:

* when snowboarding do you have to substitute “board” for “ski” in all references?

Yes or 'ride' we do not ski...ever!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy