Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CdA encouraging new train services

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://news.compagniedesalpes.com/ferroviaire-cda/

To build on their Travelski offering from the UK - which hopefully will be for an extended season next year. Mainly (only?) of benefit to Savoie resorts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ecureuil, maybe not just the Savoie (they talk about Spain too). Apart from having to get across Paris (not that hard) there's a fast TGV to Geneva.

What Chamonix need to sort is the Geneva-Cham route, which is still pretty slow and Cluses need to get transfers running from the station to the Grand Massif and the PdS.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not encouraging but more out of desperation. The SNCF don't want to run the service and the CdA are looking for other train company(ies) to step in. The Italians, who would be the logical choice for the Savoie, can't before 2025 because they are pretty much cut off from France. The big issue is you need somewhere to service your trains and the SNCF don't want to play ball on that either.

The problem is you need a few suitable trains lying around for your Saturday specials.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@ecureuil, maybe not just the Savoie (they talk about Spain too). Apart from having to get across Paris (not that hard) there's a fast TGV to Geneva.

What Chamonix need to sort is the Geneva-Cham route, which is still pretty slow and Cluses need to get transfers running from the station to the Grand Massif and the PdS.

It looks like there are good transfers running from Cluses to both PdS (https://jacquet-autocars.com/lignes-regulieres/) and Grand Massif (Altibus). Am I missing something?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sugarmoma666, most of the discussion about ski trains focusses on those to Moutier and Bourg Saint Maurice. But there are also trains along the Arve valley from which transport is available to most of the Haute Savoie resorts, and I think there are a few direct trains from Paris as well as many more with a change.

However ... the whole stretch from Annemasse to Le Fayet (end of line) is single track, which restricts the speed considerably as trains need to wait in stations for those coming the other way. And it doesn't follow the direct line along the valley floor taken by the motorway, it deviates south of that to Roche sur Foron which is the junction with the Annecy line.

But it is a route that could probably be utilised better for access to skiing. A dedicated ski train wouldn't need to stop at all stations (except to allow trains to pass), I think all of the significant transfers are from Cluses, Sallanches or Le Fayet. There may be more motivation for such a service once the new gondola direct from Le Fayet station to St Gervais opens in 2024.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@j b, there used to be a TGV from Le Fayet to Paris - does it still run?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdave wrote:
@j b, there used to be a TGV from Le Fayet to Paris - does it still run?

Occasionally but it is actually quicker to get the TER to Geneva and change to the TGV coming from Lausanne. Not that you'd want the faff unless the timings were better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, @davidof, once I spotted a TGV parked up in Le Fayet station earlier this year so I think there is some sort of service still. But it seems remarkably hard to identify the timetable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
j b wrote:
@snowdave, @davidof, once I spotted a TGV parked up in Le Fayet station earlier this year so I think there is some sort of service still. But it seems remarkably hard to identify the timetable.

around 3 direct paris trains per day on a Saturday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
j b wrote:

around 3 direct paris trains per day on a Saturday.

Thanks - that's v useful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy