Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete beginner, month long solo self organised trip to the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I have decided that this winter is the winter I will learn to ski. I am going to the Alps from 15th Dec - 22nd Jan. I won't just be skiing, I have other plans as well, but I do want to be able to say I can ski by the end of it. As a hiker / trail runner / wild camper, I'm also very attracted to the idea of back country / ski touring type activities, so I want to have a go at x-country as well to see if I enjoy that.

It would be great if some of you here could review my plans for all this and see if it sounds realistic, and hopefully answer some of the logistical stuff that I am wondering about. There is quite a lot of info so thank you in advance if you can help!

Other relevant info:
- I have already been twice to the Tamworth snowdome and completed their beginner ski course to get to recreational standard so I can use their slope. We also, in the last session, made a start on parallel skiing / turns. The instructor said based on how I had done there in the few hrs I had spent on their slope, aiming to ski an easy red run by the end of my holiday was a reasonable stretch goal (I didn't ask about this - she volunteered it) so I think I can be reasonably ambitious in my plans. I also will go a couple more times to the snowdome to practice with just a lift pass, no instructors.
- I have hiked in the alps so I have a decent idea of how the infrastructure / transport works in that context. I don't have skis and boots to lug around with me then though Happy
- This isn't a budget holiday, obviously, but I am not wealthy and am looking for opportunities to keep costs down without compromising too much on the experience
- I will be renting skis, boots & poles. I have everything else I need (I think...).
- I plan to take at least a couple of blocks of group ski lessons (3-5 days each?), and then I think I will need private tuition for the x-country (although probably not nearly as much?)

So, my current December plan (I have booked all of this already, although everything except Seefeld is still cancellable) is:

Week 1 (16th - 23rd Dec) - I am staying in Campo di Trens in Italy, on the basis that it looks lovely and peaceful, is relatively inexpensive, it is right on a main rail line / good roads and 10 mins bus ride from Vipiteno where there is a ski school and perfectly good beginner skiing.

Week 2 (24th - 30th Dec) - Stay in Seefeld in Austria, which I believe is amazing for x-country and decent for downhill skiing. Also a highly recommended xmas wonderland. I am staying in the town what with it being xmas and transport etc being disrupted.

I will then go and stay in Garmisch-Parkenkirchen over NY, but I'll be busy watching the ski jumping there for at least one day. There will be time for other activities, however. I'll also have another 2 weeks in Jan after this but TBC what I will be doing. Thinking about a village nearish to Cortina d'Ampezzo in the Dolomites. I love the Dolomites.

Phew! So, to my questions:

- It appears that it is not that big of a deal to be located away from the skiing areas as I am in CdiT. How does this work? Can I store my rented ski stuff at the lift station / rental place / elsewhere near the slopes? Or do people just trek it back and forth on the bus? I will have a 0.5km walk from the bus stop to my accommodation, which seems doable but I'd rather not?

- For the group ski lessons, do I just book in as a beginner and let them decide what to do with me? I anticipate that by the second week I'll have progressed somewhat - but will still be super novice! But don't want to get stuck endlessly waiting in a line to snowplough down a tiny slope, I could already do that after an hour at the snowdome....

- Do I need, or is it sensible to, book equipment rentals and group ski lessons in advance? Does this change for the earlier Dec week vs xmas week? I would like to stay flexible as I have some health issues that mean I can't ski for hours, back-to-back days and I need rest in between, but equally I don't want to find that everything is booked up and I can't do what I want to.

- How is it best to approach the x-country skiing? Is my plan of a couple of private lessons in Seefeld to see if I like it / how I do at it, a good plan? Or would you do something else? As it will be xmas week, will this be easy to arrange?

Actually, that's loads of questions. If you can even answer one or two that would help a great deal. And why yes, I do like to make things complicated for myself!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @louisa417. What a great plan!

Just looking at your XC ski idea for Christmas week, in Seefeld, I'd definitely book in advance - book a week's group lesson if you can, which will be worthwhile and enjoyable. It's not as easy as you might think! You will also need to decide between classic and skating XC - probably the former would make sense, as a start. And that will be a busy week, so if you don't have something booked, you might lose out, and just shuffling around a flat circuit in your own is not much fun - with an instructor you will learn the right techniques from the outset.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, that's helpful. I had suspected I would likely need to book over xmas, but hadn't considered a week of XC as I hadn't seen group lessons available - but I guess if that is what Seefeld is known for they should have them somewhere! I totally agree about technique, much better to learn properly not just get stuck by myself because I have tried to shortcut it.

Classic XC sounds sensible - I don't really know anything about it though so happy to be told I am wrong...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
louisa417 wrote:

Phew! So, to my questions:

- It appears that it is not that big of a deal to be located away from the skiing areas as I am in CdiT. How does this work? Can I store my rented ski stuff at the lift station / rental place / elsewhere near the slopes? Or do people just trek it back and forth on the bus? I will have a 0.5km walk from the bus stop to my accommodation, which seems doable but I'd rather not?
If you can, store your skis at the bottom of the slope....ask where you hire from if they will do this. Only leave your boots if they can be on a heated rail.....otherwise take them back with you and dry them out each night

- For the group ski lessons, do I just book in as a beginner and let them decide what to do with me? I anticipate that by the second week I'll have progressed somewhat - but will still be super novice! But don't want to get stuck endlessly waiting in a line to snowplough down a tiny slope, I could already do that after an hour at the snowdome....
I would go for the class above the Beginners, then ask to be moved up or down if necessary. Try if possible to go for a ski school with a max class size of 6 -8. Having some Private lessons is a great idea....and if it goes really well, might mean you move up a group afterwards.

- Do I need, or is it sensible to, book equipment rentals and group ski lessons in advance? Does this change for the earlier Dec week vs xmas week? I would like to stay flexible as I have some health issues that mean I can't ski for hours, back-to-back days and I need rest in between, but equally I don't want to find that everything is booked up and I can't do what I want to.
IMV It is sensible to book the lessons. Re Equipment - do research online as to what you can expect to pay. I would be inclined to then go and haggle with some shops (try and include storage). If you have pre-booked, you are tied in and are not free to go elsewhere if you don't like what you are given.

- How is it best to approach the x-country skiing? Is my plan of a couple of private lessons in Seefeld to see if I like it / how I do at it, a good plan? Or would you do something else? As it will be xmas week, will this be easy to arrange?
Sorry - no idea about XC skiing

Actually, that's loads of questions. If you can even answer one or two that would help a great deal. And why yes, I do like to make things complicated for myself!
It's much better to ask questions in advance and hit the ground running, as it can save grief and mistakes in the long run.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 20-12-23 20:12; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You won't need a week of XC lessons
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Well I did! I found it significantly harder to learn than snowboarding. Much more subtle technique and balance needed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@louisa417, Hi and welcome to snowHead , and wow, you seem to have nailed how to progress in the sport immediately.
I won't comment on your post other than to suggest that after another week or so of skiing you will probably benefit hugely from buying your own boots - you are sure to find a good boot fitter on your travels but ask on here for recommendations for wherever you end up buying.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If you can, store your skis at the bottom of the slope....ask where you hire from if they will do this. Only leave your boots if they can be on a heated rail.....otherwise take them back with you and dry them out each night

Good point, and I would not have thought of that!

Thanks very much, that's all great stuff and I will book the lessons as suggested. Also had not considered haggling about eqpt!

Quote:

It's much better to ask questions in advance, as it can save grief and mistakes in the long run.

Completely agree, my goal is to have most of this ironed out in advance with a bit of flexibility where it makes sense Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

another week or so of skiing you will probably benefit hugely from buying your own boots

Interesting - I hadn't considered this, just assumed I would hire. But maybe that would make sense if it's all going well. I guess it also depends on whether I like the XC as well, I do know that the boots for that are different / or you can get hybrids. I will definitely bear this in mind.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Quote:

Well I did! I found it significantly harder to learn than snowboarding. Much more subtle technique and balance needed.

It appears I have generated a controversy Laughing Maybe the private lessons to start are the way to go then, and I can just see how I get on with it. If it's hard for me, I can rethink my plans!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will probably be cheaper for a month's stay to buy your own kit. Get some second hand skis, should be possible to find some very cheap and get new boots if you can stretch to it - find last season's or something. You may be a little late by the time you arrive, but most ski towns host vast ski jumble sales at the start of the season with everything from locals punting 25 year old kit they found in their basement to shops selling brand-new stuff that they need to clear out fast.

If you are interested in backcountry skiing / ski touring, getting decent at downhill skiing is your biggest challenge. XC skiing is actually not very relevant. Ski touring is done in equipment which is much closer to downhill ski gear than XC gear. The uphill part is fairly straightforward, with the main difficulty being negotiating steep terrain (keeping edge grip, kick turns, etc.) which, again XC won't prepare you for. Nothing wrong with enjoying XC for its own sake though!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If you are interested in backcountry skiing / ski touring, getting decent at downhill skiing is your biggest challenge. XC skiing is actually not very relevant. Ski touring is done in equipment which is much closer to downhill ski gear than XC gear. The uphill part is fairly straightforward, with the main difficulty being negotiating steep terrain (keeping edge grip, kick turns, etc.) which, again XC won't prepare you for. Nothing wrong with enjoying XC for its own sake though!

This is good to know. I think I had assumed it would be at least somewhat useful! I may just have a go at it while I am in Seefeld then, and see it as a separate thing entirely that I may or may not enjoy. It does simplify things, I think, if I don't focus so much on XC.

How decent do you need to be at downhill skiing? I have seen some amazing looking guided trips described as ski tours for those new to it, but it was unclear (to me, as a current non-skier) how well you need to ski for those.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@louisa417, welcome to snowHeads!

Seeing that most of your initial questions have had answers, I was going to offer some suggestions for your January weeks in the Dolomites, which is an area I know fairly well.

1.How will you be travelling there from Garmisch?
2.What are your onward travel plans back to the UK?
3.What sort of activities will you be looking to do there? Just skiing?
4.What sort of accommodation are you considering?

Just as an aside on the whole concept, just wondering why you are moving between 3 different countries and 4 different locations on the trip? It's just that if you stay in one area you can buy a season liftpass which usually costs less than 3 x 1 week passes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main difficulty on an "easy" tour is going to be skiing in variable snow. While pistes may vary from grippy to icy to bumpy, they are generally pretty consistent. When out touring, you can easily encounter deep powder, ice, wind-crust, slush and some sketchy stuff with rocks and tree roots showing through all in the same tour. Going with a guide will help a lot as they will help you find the best conditions (which can often be a few metres away from terrible conditions!) but there is almost inevitably always some sections of pretty random snow or terrain involved in any tour.

You need to be a competent piste skier - very happy on red runs at the very least. You then need to ski as much variable snow as possible. Lessons will help a lot. It's very possible to bomb around on piste with very rudimentary technique, less so off piste. As a ski instructor friend puts it "it's not that you can't ski off piste, it's that you can't ski and the off piste just lets you know".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Amazing trip planned - great story thanks for sharing. Very jealous!
ski holidays
Quote:

How decent do you need to be at downhill skiing? I have seen some amazing looking guided trips described as ski tours for those new to it, but it was unclear (to me, as a current non-skier) how well you need to ski for those.

I would say reasonably good, so top end intermediate or higher. The reason being you are skiing off piste and can come across a large range of snow conditions so good technique and experience of how to ski variable terrain is preferable or in some situations essential. In your position, for someone who sounds like they will progress pretty rapidly, I would look to try some off piste skiing (side piste ) in resort and then see how you go Madeye-Smiley
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I had a couple of hours. No doubt I could do with a couple more but I'd find a week of lessons knackering. I found snowboarding much harder

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 27-11-23 22:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Seeing that most of your initial questions have had answers, I was going to offer some suggestions for your January weeks in the Dolomites, which is an area I know fairly well.

Thank you,, that would be great!

Quote:

Annoyingly, I need to return to the UK for a few days after Garmisch for an immovable medical appointment. So I can fly back out from the UK to pretty much anywhere after that, and then I will be using public transport.

Quote:

I don't have any yet Happy They can be whatever makes the most sense.

Quote:

Plus any other winter sports / activities that might be on offer, general touristy stuff, also some hiking if it's feasible. I am pretty happy getting the bus / train around so likely will just do some sightseeing. And this is intended to be a restful, relaxing holiday after a truly crappy 18 months, so a few days in my apartment cooking myself nice food and going for a bit of a walk is also fine!

Quote:

Self catering studios or 1-bed apartments. I have found there are plenty of these available in chalets in mountain towns / villages. This is a fixed requirement as I have loads of allergies and can't eat out easily, so need kitchen facilities.

Quote:

Just as an aside on the whole concept, just wondering why you are moving between 3 different countries and 4 different locations on the trip? It's just that if you stay in one area you can buy a season liftpass which usually costs less than 3 x 1 week passes.

Good question! I wanted to visit Austria as I have never been, and I also wanted to go to the dolomites in winter and then I wanted to go to Bavaria. So now I am doing all of the above. I do take your point about the liftpass, this is not the most efficient way to go about things at all Happy It started as 'I want to spend a month in the mountains and travel' and then the skiing has been an add-on to that really, although I loved it when I tried it out so has shifted my focus!
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads Smile

You've clearly put a lot of thought into your month's trip, which is a great start. A lot of it seems well planned and most elements have already covered by other posters, so I'm just going to focus on one potential issue that hasn't, yet.

louisa417 wrote:
Week 1 (16th - 23rd Dec) - I am staying in Campo di Trens in Italy, on the basis that it looks lovely and peaceful, is relatively inexpensive, it is right on a main rail line / good roads and 10 mins bus ride from Vipiteno where there is a ski school and perfectly good beginner skiing.

Having looked at a map, your local ski area is going to be Rosskopf, above the town of Vipiteno / Sterzing. If you consult the Rosskopf piste map you'll see that the area mostly only has red (intermediate) runs, with very few blue (beginner) runs. And the few blue runs that exist are only accessible by skiing red runs leading to them.

As you have said your accommodation is cancellable, I would have a rethink of your location for this part of the trip, and base yourself somewhere where your local ski area has lots of blue runs (or blue / green if in France). Easy runs are where you're going to want to be spending most of your time, at least for the first few days.

If you would like some suggestions for suitable ski areas, let us know your transport logistics (e.g. do you already have flights booked, and to where, and how are you getting to your next base on Seefeld). Incidentally, I think your next stop at Seefeld is a good fit for your requirements, as long as the snow is good wink

As others have said, it would be logistically a lot easier to base yourself in a single location. But I do understand the appeal of wanting to experience different locations too.

P.S. if you pick it up quickly, you might achieve your "stretch goal" of skiing easy reds more quickly than you think.
snow report
If your XC ambitions are confined to shuffling around on level tracks, you really don't need any lessons at all! When I had my (first) week of XC lessons, in France, the instructor kept admonishing us with "C'est un sport de gliss". We weren't allowed to shuffle. It's all about gliding.....

I found snowploughing, on those narrow skis with no edges, really difficult. I thought I'd been snowploughing OK on alpine skis, but I discovered my weaknesses! Whereas a snowboard, with a socking great metal edge, was much easier. Laughing I had no problem stopping, on a snowboard, whereas even quite gentle inclines seemed terrifying on XC skis. I don't think I was particularly useless. I had several weeks of lessons, beginner and intermediate, with French people, and we all struggled.

I agree with the thoughts that you might do better not to travel around too much. Austria (or indeed France, or Italy, or Switzerland) can provide everything you need. It might make a difference if you speak one of the relevant languages, which could help you get "under the skin" of the place a bit and if you don't go somewhere saturated with Brits.
ski holidays
Quote:

Having looked at a map, your local ski area is going to be Rosskopf, above the town of Vipiteno / Sterzing. If you consult the Rosskopf piste map you'll see that the area mostly only has red (intermediate) runs, with very few blue (beginner) runs. And the few blue runs that exist are only accessible by skiing red runs leading to them.

I will look again at this then - I may have misread it, I thought you could access blue runs via lifts without the reds, that would be an issue! I did decide I didn't mind if this first week was limited in terms of number of runs, but zero is not a good number! Thank you.

Quote:

As others have said, it would be logistically a lot easier to base yourself in a single location. But I do understand the appeal of wanting to experience different locations too.

Agreed! This is a special trip though, so being rational is not necessarily the only or main goal Laughing
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
@louisa417Just as an aside on the whole concept, just wondering why you are moving between 3 different countries and 4 different locations on the trip? It's just that if you stay in one area you can buy a season liftpass which usually costs less than 3 x 1 week passes

Normally I'd agree re. the lift passes, but it sounds to me like the OP won't necessarily need I've every day, so buying daily passes might be the way forward anyway.
snow report
Quote:

Amazing trip planned - great story thanks for sharing. Very jealous!

Thank you! I am certain that whatever else happens, I will have an amazing trip Very Happy
snow conditions
This may be of interest to you.
you.

https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/sale/?utm_source=solus&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Interrail_20231116&utm_term=src

Black Friday 25% off makes a 10 day Interail pass £272 if you book by midnight 28/11.
The days can be used over a two month period so could be ideal for your trip.
I am also very envious of what sounds an amazing journey!
latest report
Quote:

Normally I'd agree re. the lift passes, but it sounds to me like the OP won't necessarily need I've every day, so buying daily passes might be the way forward anyway.

Yes, this is correct - I *think*, if I am not doing a block of daily group lessons, it would make more sense for me to buy daily. I have some chronic fatigue issues so sometimes just wake up and think 'not today'. I can commit to a block of group lessons as I can always take it easy the rest of the day, but I definitely won't be wall-to-wall skiing as it would be too much.

I am pretty fit though (see the trail running etc) - so I just need to be able to have rest days in between the more active ones!
snow conditions
Quote:

Black Friday 25% off makes a 10 day Interail pass £272 if you book by midnight 28/11.
The days can be used over a two month period so could be ideal for your trip.

That is really interesting! I now have 24hrs to work out if that is a good deal for me Laughing
ski holidays
Some further thoughts:

- Getting your own cheap skis can be a good idea....but I think in your case, they would be a right pain lugging them around (and paying ski carriage) on planes, trains and automobiles.

- Hiring allows you to pick the ski to suit what you are doing eg. Narrow and shorter for piste skiing; Wider and longer for Off Piste. Normally, the hire shop will swap about and give them the odd service.

- Once you are sure you will continue skiing - buying boots is sensible. If you do that and get custom footbeds, don't put them on those boot racks that blow hot air into them, as that can cause damage.

- Make sure your insurance covers you for everything you intend doing....including proper Off Piste coverage, if that is on the cards.

- Bring your GHIC Card

- Getting the extra insurance with the Lift Pass (if available) is worth taking out, as it will get you off the mountain if injured - no questions asked. The extra insurance on hired skis also can be sensible. Neither is expensive.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 28-11-23 0:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
louisa417 wrote:
For the group ski lessons, do I just book in as a beginner and let them decide what to do with me? I anticipate that by the second week I'll have progressed somewhat - but will still be super novice! But don't want to get stuck endlessly waiting in a line to snowplough down a tiny slope, I could already do that after an hour at the snowdome....

Just be honest with them about your currently ability. If it's a decent ski school they will move you/up down as necessary based on what they see the first day. If you are not happy just speak to the office/instructor. It is a bit off pot luck with group lessons in regard of the group, number of people, etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just me, but I would concentrate on the downhill skiing and not confuse your "muscle memory" by being a beginner in two disciplines - jack of all trades master of none?
ski holidays
louisa417 wrote:
denfinella wrote:
Rosskopf, above the town of Vipiteno / Sterzing... the few blue runs that exist are only accessible by skiing red runs leading to them.

I will look again at this then - I may have misread it, I thought you could access blue runs via lifts without the reds, that would be an issue! I did decide I didn't mind if this first week was limited in terms of number of runs, but zero is not a good number! Thank you.

Actually, what I said wasn't quite right, sorry - there is one blue run served by the top lift which you can do without tackling reds, as long as you took the lower gondola down again at the end of the day. But only one. To be honest, there only appear to be two proper blue runs in the entire ski area.

You'll have had a few dry slope lessons / sessions by the time you go, so you won't be a complete beginner. Everyone progresses at a different pace, but it's entirely conceivable that you will already be off the tiny "nursery slopes" after the first day, after which you'll want a reasonable selection of other blues for the rest of the week. Or you might not progress quite so quickly (which is also fine), but it would be good to have the options there in case you do.
latest report
louisa417 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you,, that would be great!

Quote:

Annoyingly, I need to return to the UK for a few days after Garmisch for an immovable medical appointment. So I can fly back out from the UK to pretty much anywhere after that, and then I will be using public transport.

Quote:

I don't have any yet Happy They can be whatever makes the most sense.

Quote:

Plus any other winter sports / activities that might be on offer, general touristy stuff, also some hiking if it's feasible. I am pretty happy getting the bus / train around so likely will just do some sightseeing. And this is intended to be a restful, relaxing holiday after a truly crappy 18 months, so a few days in my apartment cooking myself nice food and going for a bit of a walk is also fine!

Quote:

Self catering studios or 1-bed apartments. I have found there are plenty of these available in chalets in mountain towns / villages. This is a fixed requirement as I have loads of allergies and can't eat out easily, so need kitchen facilities.

Quote:

Good question! I wanted to visit Austria as I have never been, and I also wanted to go to the dolomites in winter and then I wanted to go to Bavaria. So now I am doing all of the above. I do take your point about the liftpass, this is not the most efficient way to go about things at all Happy It started as 'I want to spend a month in the mountains and travel' and then the skiing has been an add-on to that really, although I loved it when I tried it out so has shifted my focus!

Innsbruck, Verona & Venice are the most convenient airports for the Dolomites, particularly if you are relying on public transport. Skyscanner will help you compare route options and prices, but best book direct with the airline. There are also flights from Stansted to Bolzano with SkyAlps, not that cheap, but are very handy for Val Gardena. https://www.skyalps.com/en/ Resort recommendation would depend on which airport you fly into as the transfer logistics would need to coincide. Corvara is a nice spot with lots of gentle ski terrain close by. It's not cheap though and can be best accessed from Innsbruck or Verona. A more economic option would be the lakeside village of Alleghe, best accessed from Venice.

There are winter hiking paths and snowshoeing in the Dolomites: https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/off-the-slopes/winter-hiking-and-snowshoeing.html

You should be able to find something self catering. The cost will vary according to the convenience & popularity of the location.

Apologies for questioning the efficiency & workability of your plans...it wouldn't be the first time that I've attempted to misapply my cold male logic to a female romantic adventure!! Shocked Laughing Laughing
latest report
As others have said if you're long term goal is ski touring, spending a week x-country skiing is probably not the best use of time. Better to focus on downhill and get proficient at that, which is what's going to hold you back from touring to begin with.

Next thing for touring, and where it really differs to hiking, is education about avalanche safety. The book "staying alive in avalanche terrain" is highly recommended and an excellent starting point.

I'd say improving uphill technique is the final "icing on the cake". For basic tours you can actually get by with pretty poor technique, it just won't be pretty or the most efficient.
snow report
@louisa417, Normally in ski school terms "beginner" means a never, ever. If someone can make a snowplough and have used some kind of lift, then they'd be early intermediate. If you book ski school and tell them you're a beginner at least the first hour will be spent walking around on the flats while they figure out which group you should really be in.
I think if you're a sporty, fast learner who can already ski at "recreational" standard ar Tamworth then you might be better looking for a couple of private lessons.

I agree with those above saying buy your own boots. If touring is definitely in your future then maybe look at hybrid alpine/touring boots. They're not great for big tours but they'll be OK for starting touring and they'll be better for improving your skiing than touring boots.

Learning to XC ski would be great for getting into the wilderness if you're thinking of going to Finland. Otherwise, I'd say concentrate on alpine for now.
latest report
louisa417 wrote:

As someone with a food allergy, my experience is that large supermarkets are better at providing a wide range of foods than small ones in mountain villages. If you won't have a car then you don't have the option of going somewhere like Brixen to shop.

I have only driven past the area you are staying in for your first week but don't see any big shops in Campo di Trens on online maps.
snow report
Quote:
even quite gentle inclines seemed terrifying on XC skis
Hear hear @pam w! As seasoned skiers, Mrs MA and I once hired cross country kit in the US for our first ever attempt at it and what we thought would be a few gentle trails in an innocuous-looking forest. All easy enough on the flat - but like scenes from Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em on any downhills, however gentle! And on downhills with bends at the bottom, we couldn't turn - so would just shoot off the trail into the trees!

That was over 20 years ago - and we haven't been back on cross country skis since Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Apologies for questioning the efficiency & workability of your plans...it wouldn't be the first time that I've attempted to misapply my cold male logic to a female romantic adventure!!

Laughing I am quite good at cold logic myself, so appreciate the thought!

Thanks all for so much useful info across all of my topics. Loads to think about, so I'm going to do a bit of tweaking of plans. I am encouraged that this all seems do-able by the responses here, though. The ski touring info is great, I can think about how to incorporate some of the prep suggestions into my later plans for Jan. I am pretty sure I'll have more questions once I have done a bit more planning!
snow conditions
It sounds like a fantastic trip @louisa417. Looking forward to the updates and live, on the ground, trip reports! Very Happy

On a cautionary note:
1. Neither Vipiteno or Seefeld are very high ski areas in terms of their altitude. I don't know what either are like for snow cannon coverage/snow making, but early season snow (ie lack of it) could be an issue
2. The earlier poster is correct re the predominantly red runs of Vipiteno ski area. It does look rather limited in terms of blue runs - ie only two. However, both can be accessed without skiing red runs.

On a positive note, Seefeld does have a lovely little separate area of blue runs served by a fast chairlift. It would be absolutely ideal for you. And that area doesn't get anywhere near as busy as the main Seefeld ski slopes - where we found some quite lengthy lift queues in low season 2022.

snow report
@louisa417, great trip plans and I hope it soothes after a crappy time.

Just dropping in to add to the alpine plus x-c chat. We were in Sweden for a month this year and tried to do both (reasonable alpine skiers, beginner xc). We're not fit as butchers dogs but again reasonable, and we were effing knackered. Laughing

Trying to learn one while enjoying the other was a lot, and falling over is tiring. I'd echo those saying stick to one. However, if you want some wilderness time, hire snow shoes and go on some lovely missions with those. It's a very restful activity for the mind.

Would buy ski boots if you're skiing for a month.

In the dollies, maybe swap to an area with lots of blues - Alta Badia? - and start there. You'll want plenty to practice on without getting bored. It's still beautiful and you can still stay a bus from lifts to get the peace and quiet you're after. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
As a XC ski instructor, Nordic ski tourer and Alpine ski tourer, I would recommend good instruction for all disciplines.. there is actually quite a bit of overlap.

You have chosen a good resort in Seefeld, you will get good instruction and miles of track, also good rental equipment.
Go for classic because if your interested in touring later these are the skills you will need.

The Dolomites are stunning for both Alpine and XC
If your thinking of Cortina area, could I suggest Dobbiaco , this is a fabulous area.for XC, has great public transport, which is often free with your accomodation. Cortina only 30 min away by bus, plus other great resorts on the Dolomite super ski pass.

There is a great hostel in Dobbiaco.

I hope this is helpful
ski holidays
Definitely get properly fitted for and buy new ski boots-the cost of hiring will probably be close given how long you are away for.
Second hand skis-are also probably a good idea, but be sure to check whether the bindings are compatible with your new boots which will have Gripwalk soles. Old "Alpine" bindings on older second hand skis are not compatible-here's a link to an explanation-it's all got a bit complicated over the last few years! https://www.skimag.com/gear/bindings/guide-to-gripwalk-boot-binding-compatibility/

Ski touring and x country are very different disciplines. I'd say the trajectory of most skier's skills development tends to go: on piste; then trying lift served off piste with an instructor once you are a pretty solid intermediate (sections off the side of the piste, a few longer runs); then off-piste with a guide exploring further away from the pistes, then build up to trying touring-which will involve hiring some different kit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy