Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dumb Seasonnairre Q

Poster: A snowHead
Really stupid question but what actually makes a seasonnairre eligible for discounts in the three valleys? As I will not be working am I not actually a seasonnairre, or just a holiday enjoyer? What do I have to do to qualify for the bands (I assume there is a wristband or something showing it, rather than just the season ski pass?)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thew2002 wrote:
Really stupid question but what actually makes a seasonnairre eligible for discounts in the three valleys? As I will not be working am I not actually a seasonnairre, or just a holiday enjoyer? What do I have to do to qualify for the bands (I assume there is a wristband or something showing it, rather than just the season ski pass?)?

Discounts for what?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meals, or potentially drinks - I'm not sure...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think a lot of the discounts aren't official things as such more down to being a regular face around town, idealy in a position/friend of people who are in positions to drive those plebs in (and not away from) someone's direction when asked where to hire skis/best bar/best restaurant/etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's informal. You'd be asked who you work for and if the person on the other side is suspicious then they'd probe you about it until they're satisfied you are a seasonnaire.

I worked in a bar and you recognise most people after a few days. You can also spot a punter from a mile away so if they try and blag you then you can find out pretty quickly just by asking a couple of simple questions about who they work with etc.

I do remember one older customer trying it on and they failed quite embarrassingly, whilst being offended when queried.

At the end of the day it's at the staffs discretion. Youdbimporve your chances just by participating in the local community. I.e. going to the seasonnaire bars regularly and mixing/skiing with them
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok thank you. Any advice how to learn to not be a dickhead within a week?.... Who am I kidding, its more likely I'll become a good skier before achieving that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's not informal. Meribel does have a specific seasonaire member's card/wristband and you're unlikely to get seasonaire prices without one. Used to be €10, no idea what it is now. The Folie also has one, don't know if that is now the "default" card for Meribel. The Folie definitely want a copy of an employment contract, you used to be able to write anything under the employment section on the more general seasonaire's card application form - they never checked. I got a card for my nephew that way but they only accept applications in early December.

https://www.lafoliedouce.com/en/meribel-courchevel-saisonniers.html

Go to the Tav, Scott's or Doron when you arrive and ask behind the bar. They will know the current process and might be able to swing it for you as a non-worker if you're not a dickhead.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alternatively, just join Meribel Seasonaires on Facebook and ask there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okie dokie - Thank you very much that's extremely useful. I'm quite happy to do some volunteering helping out if it gets discounts etc. Guess I will play it by ear when I get there!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
It's not informal. Meribel does have a specific seasonaire member's card/wristband and you're unlikely to get seasonaire prices without one. Used to be €10, no idea what it is now. The Folie also has one, don't know if that is now the "default" card for Meribel. The Folie definitely want a copy of an employment contract, you used to be able to write anything under the employment section on the more general seasonaire's card application form - they never checked. I got a card for my nephew that way but they only accept applications in early December.

https://www.lafoliedouce.com/en/meribel-courchevel-saisonniers.html

Go to the Tav, Scott's or Doron when you arrive and ask behind the bar. They will know the current process and might be able to swing it for you as a non-worker if you're not a dickhead.

It was for me. People tried this wristband thing but it didn't catch on.

Seasonnaire don't really drink much at the Folie btw. Bit too organised fun for the super cool. You're more likely to be at the Ronnie. Not sure if they subscribe to this wristband thing? I was thinking more smaller businesses and bars anyway, where you spend more time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That works for me! My place is an 8 mins walk to the ronnie. I'm quite glad to hear that, I mean I've enjoyed folie in val d'isere but I feel like it'd be repetitive and forced after a while. Also I'm 34 so probs not the coolest thing to do anymore.

Do you have any tips for the most affordable drinks/meals in Meribel? (or three valleys overall?) I did some Googling today and got a sudden panic seeing some outrageously high prices (like double val d'isere)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ryunis wrote:
You're more likely to be at the Ronnie. Not sure if they subscribe to this wristband thing? I was thinking more smaller businesses and bars anyway, where you spend more time

Depends where you live. It's a while ago but you certainly needed a seasonaire card in the two seasons I did there and I'd be very surprised if it's changed. There's simply too many big bars with too many staff on alternating shifts to realistically become a "face". The big centre pubs are (or were) all owned by the same company so it's basically a loyalty/discount scheme for them. The Ronnie is in the same group these days AFAIK and you needed the wristband last time I was there.

Ronnie/Tav/Brewers Den/Sullys all the same owner I think and they were or are the administrators. Pretty sure Doron/Scotts/Jacks would also honour any discount, Doron used to be same ownership as the Tav but not sure now. Think Barometer has changed hands so don't know about them anymore. Don't expect discount in any of the French owned bars but if you own a chalet there's a fair chance of free champagne all night in L'Abreuvoir. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Then you also have smaller places like LDV and Ski Lodge over in La Tania owned by Tim.
OP I'd go on FB groups and see what the deal is. Me and JSUS may be like two bald men arguing over a comb here (I'm bald so I'm allowed to say that).
In terms of cheap places to drink. They don't really exist. There are negligibly cheapER places perhaps but you'll simply ending up going wherever is best. E.g. where has a gig on that night/quiz/party/whatever you're after. Get friendly with bar staff in some of the smaller places and it will very quickly all become apparent
You'll have a blast
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tim is old school and doesn't bother with cards - LT is too small for people not to be known if they're locals (I am). He sold LDV a few years ago. But LT's no use for Meribel people because there's no bus service.

The card most certainly is worth it in places like the Ronnie because they do seasonaire jugs of beer and it is a big saving on punter price. It was well worth it in my first Meribel season - Dick's (now Sully's) was my nearest pub. I effing lived there! Very, very cheap beer before 10pm and free entry to Dick's every night...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Je suis un Skieur, as far as i am aware Barometer is still owned by Clive, he posted on Facebook the other week about the upcoming fish and chip nights beginning this season.

he did used to have a business partner, Al, they owned jacks previously, but they parted ways several years ago now.

@Thew2002, like others have said, after a few weeks in resort, the bar staff will get to recognise you and you will probably get discounts.
I know it was many moons ago when i did seasons there, though I was with a T/O, and we got cheaper booze in most of the bars, i remember picking up a discount card in Le Pub at the start of my first season, but barely ever needed to show it.
but even the "independent" seasonaires (or ski bums as they were called then Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ) would get discounts for drinks.

am sure others who have worked there more recently, or are there now, will be able to advice best value establishments these days, for food on the mountains.

have a great time, am sure you will not regret it
ski holidays
Wonderful stuff, thanks all. Appreciate the positivity
snow report
Ryunis wrote:
Seasonnaire don't really drink much at the Folie btw. Bit too organised fun for the super cool.

Not the fact it's frigging expensive so only an option for those being fed cash by mummy and daddy?

Je suis un Skieur wrote:
There's simply too many big bars with too many staff on alternating shifts to realistically become a "face".

Might be resort specific but generally the big/famous name bars are for the tourists and not where you find the seasonaires drinking (unless someone else is paying).
ski holidays
@Thew2002,
Go around the bars when you first arrive (the earlier the better) and introduce yourself as a ski bum doing the season (having your season lift pass would help).
Then you'll either get seasonnaire prices, or be told what to do to 'qualify'.
snow report
Blow every barman in Meribel. Got it.
snow conditions
Got my final day in work Thursday and fly Friday morning, oddly my work don't seem to accept 'I'm going to become a ski bum' as much as on here
ski holidays
Thew2002 wrote:
... Do you have any tips for the most affordable drinks/meals in Meribel? (or three valleys overall?) I did some Googling today and got a sudden panic seeing some outrageously high prices (like double val d'isere)

3V is expensive, particularly Courchevel 1850. Elsewhere, as a general rule, meal prices have some correlation with height! Mountain restaurants more expensive. Snow-front cafés / restaurants in villages a bit cheaper. Off snow-front places a bit cheaper again. Then filled baguettes etc from village supermarkets. Cheapest is to make your own and eat at one of the picnic spots!
snow report
Quote:

3V is expensive, particularly Courchevel 1850. Elsewhere, as a general rule, meal prices have some correlation with height! Mountain restaurants more expensive. Snow-front cafés / restaurants in villages a bit cheaper. Off snow-front places a bit cheaper again. Then filled baguettes etc from village supermarkets. Cheapest is to make your own and eat at one of the picnic spots

Is there an equivalent of 'la cascade' in val d'isere? That was up the mountain and a self serve restaurant and I swear I was paying a very reasonable amount for a good portion, I don't think I could finish a meal!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy