Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canazei–Tofana–Canazei in a day?

Poster: A snowHead
Been to the Dolomites a few times but not last year and I only just learned about the Cortina Skyline! Never skied Cortina either which has got me wondering: has anyone done Canazei–Tofana–Canazei in a day? I'm sure it's doable but I would like to have an idea of approximately what tempo I would be looking at. Also whether the snow on Stratofana is likely to be any good by the time one gets there... I'll be in Canazei 11th to 15th December so who knows what will even be open but I thought I'd ask around since I couldn't find anyone writing up this specific circuit. Thanks in advance Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
unlikley that the hidden valley will be open before christmas, so no taxi to the pass, no return route
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, bummer. I could go a week later but not after xmas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a long way on skis, but I expect it could be feasibly done if you were quick, all the links and runs were open and weren't hampered by queues at the various bottlenecks alomng the way, but I doubt you would have much time at Tofana to explore. Probably have to set off back as you arrive! Shocked

The taxi guys in the square at Arabba will run you up to Falzarego for a price (was €8 a head in 2009) if you can find a group willing to share the ride. That will save some time and catching the taxibus at Armentarola

The Ustaria Posta boys did it from Badia and got up to Ra Valles at the top of Tofana, but coming across from Canazei is quite a bit further...and they ski like demons possessed... Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/KuIDJ8oryLE
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I probably won't be able to convince my friend to do it if a really high pace is required though admittedly it would be cool to be the first snowHead to attempt it, haha. I'll take a look at the video, seems like a fun tour as well! I was originally inspired to do this by an FT article I read back in January (https://on.ft.com/3SWOk34) though those guys didn't do a round-trip. I'm sure this has been posted about here though. Lovely write-up as well!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's quite doable. You wouldn't be able to hang around in Cortina for long or dawdle over lunch however. We did it from Selva with a sleepover at the Lagazoui Rifugio. Very civilised. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregorspv wrote:
I probably won't be able to convince my friend to do it if a really high pace is required though admittedly it would be cool to be the first snowHead to attempt it, haha. I'll take a look at the video, seems like a fun tour as well! I was originally inspired to do this by an FT article I read back in January (https://on.ft.com/3SWOk34) though those guys didn't do a round-trip. I'm sure this has been posted about here though. Lovely write-up as well!

You need to make sure all the links and runs are open that early in the season, otherwise it will be difficult or impossible.

I'd suggest a dry run to the Hidden Valley first to check timings to see how much leeway there would be to get to Cortina and back. The route is a bit tricky, so would be good to get that bit under your belt first. I reckon you would need to allow 30-40mins each way to the start of the Tofana sector from Falzarego, plus whatever time you wanted to spend there, it could take an hour or more to get to the top and back skiing fast.

The guys in the video are doing what you would be looking to do, just a different start point that is a bit closer to Cortina. They started in Badia (Pedraces), know the way intimately and ski like demons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good call, thanks. I hope the Hidden Valley will be open at least. If not, I'll be tempted to come back in March.

At the risk of jinxing it, the fellas in the video don't seem to be going that fast to me? I've only looked at the first 10 minutes or so though. And anyway, they keep reiterating how they are waiting for the rest of the family to catch up with them. But it is also true that they barely have to queue anywhere and they could also fill up the taxi straight away as a family.

So far I'm not completely discouraged: conditions permitting, I might decide to attempt it if my friend agrees. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

At the risk of jinxing it, the fellas in the video don't seem to be going that fast to me?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That family do a LOT of skiing. Look rapid to me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hah, I knew I shouldn't have said anything. I'm sure they're fine skiers. Maybe I'm reading the video wrong if everyone else thinks they are going so fast.

Anyway, I asked the author of the video if the same tour could be done starting from Canazei and here is his take:

Quote:

Da Canazei siete molto al limite come tempistiche. Sicuramente dovreste rinunciare ad andare a Ra Valles e saltare la pausa pranzo. Alla fine l'Alta Badia rimane sempre la localitá piú centrale per sciare in tutte le aree del Dolomiti Superski.

Essentially doesn't want to either say yes or no. But definitely no Ra Valles or lunch to be had—which I had figured already.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregorspv wrote:
Hah, I knew I shouldn't have said anything. I'm sure they're fine skiers. Maybe I'm reading the video wrong if everyone else thinks they are going so fast.

Anyway, I asked the author of the video if the same tour could be done starting from Canazei and here is his take:

Quote:

Da Canazei siete molto al limite come tempistiche. Sicuramente dovreste rinunciare ad andare a Ra Valles e saltare la pausa pranzo. Alla fine l'Alta Badia rimane sempre la localitá piú centrale per sciare in tutte le aree del Dolomiti Superski.

Essentially doesn't want to either say yes or no. But definitely no Ra Valles or lunch to be had—which I had figured already.

Good of Igor to give you a personal reply! Cool

Like most of us, he's advising caution and sitting on the fence about it! Laughing

He's basically saying you should have stayed at his hotel!! wink

Go for it and come back and tell us how it went! Just take a few hundred Euros cash with you in case you get lost and need a taxi back!! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd love to stay in Igor's hotel, had it booked but covid hit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He's a good sport, he replies to pretty much every question in the comments box, as far as I see. I'd never heard of him before I started researching this topic but I'll definitely consider his place for my next trip. Though 7 days minimum stay is a bit long for me.

I would go for it on my own but I don't want to mislead the other party on my trip if it's really so tight. Thank you for all your help though—hopefully someone is inspired to try this and will report on it here Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just stumbled across this one, a Brit couple did it last winter at a seemingly normal pace, starting from Selva.

They get to Cortina by 11.30 despite a 30min wait for the taxi-bus at Armentarola. They get up to Ra Valles and head back on the Cortina Express at 1pm without lunch, doing the Hidden Valley along the way. They make it with time for a drink and cake before the last run down to Selva...but bear in mind that the route from Canazei is possibly a bit further than Selva wink

They do it on Day 3 of their trip which starts at timestamp 10:10 in the video...

http://youtube.com/v/2D0nakv1fPY

Some other interesting ski adventures on the other days too...though they do always seem to be on the last lift just before it shuts!! Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I realise that I’ve missed your holiday but thought I’d reply for the benefit of anyone else.
So a friend and I skied from Selva to Cortina and back last year (Feb 2023). We are both competent but not especially fast skiers. Although we both had the benefit of having worked 2 seasons in the Dollies so know it like the back of our hands. No wasting time with piste maps !
We did get delayed by 40 mins waiting for a taxi from Armentarola to Lagazuoi. So that was weighing slightly on our minds. We didn’t stop for lunch, but we did get 2 hours of skiing in Cortina (at the Tofana side) before we headed back. We skied the Hidden Valley on the way back, took the horse tow and probably made the last lifts on the way back from Corvara up to Dantercepies with just 10 mins or so to spare.
And then had a well earned rest and refuel at the top of Dantercepies before the final ski back to Selva.
So yes, it is doable if you don’t dawdle and don’t stop for a big lunch! But just keep a close eye on your watch. It’s an expensive mistake to get stuck in the wrong valley, or if not expensive it’s a long hike!
snow report
And I just realised that the previous responder had found my friend’s YouTube video which includes the Cortina day that I described above Eh oh! . I could have saved myself all that typing haha
ski holidays
Ah, that's hilarious. I've got to say, that sounds like a perfect day! I would have guessed that the taxicab is the bottleneck, especially if there is only two of you. Unfortunately for me, Lagazuoi wasn't even open when I was in Canazei from 10-15 December. Hopefully I'll be able to pop back in late March but I think that's just around the time they start closing it back, haha.
snow report
dkirkuk wrote:
And I just realised that the previous responder had found my friend’s YouTube video which includes the Cortina day that I described above Eh oh! . I could have saved myself all that typing haha

snowHead snowHead snowHead Embarassed
snow conditions
dkirkuk wrote:

Always one step ahead here! snowHead snowHead

Tell Dave he's now famous!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
I will Laughing . We’re going to meet up in Selva again this March (2024) for a week, so I’m sure there will be another YouTube video soon. It’s all his video stops that make us so close to last lifts! But I have to admit, the videos are fun to look back on our adventures.
snow conditions
dkirkuk wrote:
I will Laughing . We’re going to meet up in Selva again this March (2024) for a week, so I’m sure there will be another YouTube video soon. It’s all his video stops that make us so close to last lifts! But I have to admit, the videos are fun to look back on our adventures.

You're not going to leave him on the mountain again, are you? He looked genuinely forlorn at that point, I nearly shed a tear for him! wink

Can't wait for the next tearjerking instalment of Dave & Debs on-off ski relationship!! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy