Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A silly question from a newbie…

Poster: A snowHead
The last ski trip I went on was many years ago, now older I’m looking forward to the aprés ski partying in Ischgl in January. When I see videos of people dancing away in Kuhstall or Trofana Alm.. I notice people are in T-Shirts and I wonder what people do with their jackets? I will definitely need one to walk to and from the hotel but is there a cloak room or do they just get scattered around the floor/seating?
Ridiculous question… but I am an over-thinker / preparer Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They all have jacket valets outside each establishment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for the quick reply!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wrote that with tongue firmly in cheek!!

I normally just leave it somewhere nearby or we pile our crap on top of each other.

Hmm perhaps I've found a new business venture..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick but silly. Just make sure you have a non-aspirational jacket. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Feeling pretty moronic right about now… pahaha
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ema_D, Hi and welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
Quote:

Please don't feel that, I loved the question, mainly because most queries have been asked many times before on snowHead (things like helmet vs no helmet are staples and appear every year), but I wonder whether anyone has asked this one before wink
Unfortunately I haven't visited the establishments in question so cannot give you an answer but I am sure there are some who could.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quick but silly. Just make sure you have a non-aspirational jacket. wink

And dont leave anything valuable in the pockets...lift pass
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowheid wrote:
@Ema_D, Hi and welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
Quote:

Please don't feel that, I loved the question, mainly because most queries have been asked many times before on snowHead (things like helmet vs no helmet are staples and appear every year), but I wonder whether anyone has asked this one before wink
Unfortunately I haven't visited the establishments in question so cannot give you an answer but I am sure there are some who could.

I did have a quick search, but I’m sure most people don’t worry about such things and just figure it out when they get there! Haha
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ema_D, not silly at all. I left a nice down vest and arcteryx softshell under friends clothes in a bar in Park City for a couple of drinks and they were nicked. Inconvenient walking around in -10 in just a t-shirt Shocked Skullie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My son put a leather jacket on the back of his chair in a bar in Genoa and it got nicked. It was a nice jacket. But a greater problem was that the ONLY set of his keys to his car, which was parked at Bristol Airport, was in the pocket......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might just have a dance with it draped over my arm! None of my gear was expensive (eBay/vinted) but don’t fancy a cold walk back to the hotel if I loose my jacket!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ema_D, tie it round your waist with the arms
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Yes!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gainz wrote:

I'd just bet there are places in Courchevel 1850 and the like that actually do have that. Along with dog sitting and snowmobile parking services.

Just not the sort of grotty dives that I frequent...
snow report
Someone (probably on Snowheads....) told me there were dog rental places in Megeve. So when the dog's not convenient, just pop it back - like leaving your skis and boots in the ski rental shop.
snow conditions
In Austria the more up-market clubs have cloakrooms, and often when they do there's someone there to help relieve you of your coat and a few € for the privilage. People also hang their coats up in a lot of restaurants and bars. I'm not saying there's zero theft, but I've never had first hand experience of losing a jacket, and the locals I ski with in St Anton all leave coats / helmets / rucksacks in the coat area without a second thought.
ski holidays
Certain resorts, higher % chance of jacket going for a walk, I'd suspect Ischgl is near the top of the list. Never been so being a bit judgemental!
ski holidays
@pam w, ah that sounds like my idea of inflatable dogs for those who don't want to look after it EVERY day.
snow conditions
I know Ischgl well and would say you have 3 options.

1. Don't take a coat - generally you won't need one. I'm in no way one of those 'shorts 365 days a year' people but have always found a hoodie fine to get around Ischgl. It's not a huge town and not short of bars so if you start to feel cold just duck in the nearest bar for a warm-up beer! Often if you're going from one bar to the next it will take you longer to put your coat on and off than to walk between them.

2. A lot of people go straight from the slopes into the bars, going back to their hotel for a shower/change before dinner so the bars have plenty of tables and coat hooks. If you're a group and have a table you have your own space/a team approach to coat watching. If you're solo/a couple you'll usually be able to hang it where you're sitting/standing.

3. With the numbers of "straight from the slope" drinkers there will be more jackets in each bar than you can shake a ski pole at so, (and obviously following the 'empty pockets' advice, above) just add your's to a hook that has more expensive jackets on it so yours isn't the most tempting steal!

For full disclosure people in my ski group have had hoodies 'stolen' in bars in Ischgl...but not in the "3pm to 7pm" apres ski window. No, very much in the post apres, post dinner, post me saying "Sod that, I'm going to bed!" window, so 'stolen' is as likely to mean 'had changed bars 3 times before they noticed they no longer had it' or 'forgot where they put it and were looking in the wrong place' as 'someone else had taken it (either intentionally or accidentally)'. Smile
snow report
ratechaser wrote:
Gainz wrote:

I'd just bet there are places in Courchevel 1850 and the like that actually do have that.

You should go to Aspen. Courtesy slippers and boot warmers whilst you have lunch. And a snowmobile back down the hill if you have too much pop. snowHead
latest report
Thanks guys this is all super useful, it’s just DH and I so no group to take in turns babysitting our stuff, will make a conscious effort to make sure of empty pockets etc. We do feel the cold being from the south of England so hoodies only will be unlikely- and our hotel is slightly out of the way so will be a little walk into the bars (not miles, but enough for these southern softies to get chilly). I think the best idea would be to not get blackout drunk so we don’t forget about our stuff. We do tend to get over-excited though, in our late 30’s but act like teenagers. Hopefully the early starts will have us going to sleep at a reasonable hour and acting like sensible adults that don’t loose things. Hopefully..
ski holidays
@Ema_D, There's plenty of stuff on ski resort FB groups with folks losing jackets/ ski's/ snowboards etc, but I would agree with the above - very little theft in reality and what there is generally its from folks who just get so drunk they forget them, lose them and are generally not very responsible. Stick your jacket under your seat, many bars have lift up gear lockers under the bench seats) and keep your eye on it if in the open, same as you'd do in any bar back home.
snow conditions
@Ema_D that's one of the best things about Austrian apres - ski, straight to the bar, get happy drunk on an empty stomach, apres party ends and you suddenly realise you're starving, head to your hotel or a restaurant to stuff your face, someone asks "Anyone fancy another beer?" and everyone replies "I'd rather go to bed actually."...at which point you check your watch and it's not even 10pm Very Happy. Early to bed, early to rise, at the gondola before the morning rush.

Do you have bag space for 2 coats? While many go straight from the slopes to the bars I've tried it and it doesn't take long inside a nice warm bar before salopetted legs start to feel...unpleasent - and you will wake up to find a horrible, crusry beer stain somewhere. Our preferred approach is ski, hotel to dump kit/shower/change, hit the apres bar. Do the same and that could including swapping from your nice ski jacket into something cheap/old that's just to keep you warm/dry between bars and you're less bothered about losing/is less likely to be taken.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

And put your white stilettos in the middle of the group Wink
latest report
@Orange200, nah. That's your handbag
snow report
@Ema_D, oi, less of the southern softies stereotype... I'm from Herts and by the time I stop for mid morning hot chocolate (mit Stroh, natürlich), I'm usually stripped down to a t-shirt.

And I'm probably steaming as well Very Happy
latest report
The best skitrips are always where you windup jacketless in a pool of vomit in a snowdrift at 5am with panini stains everywhere.

Just go with the flow.

If the skijacket gets lost or lifted, buy a new one.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ema_D, you need to find your inner Geordie.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, that was the one! Stilettos didn’t seem right…
snow report
Take a spare jacket just in case, then worse case you still have a jacket for the rest of the holiday - it will act like an umbrella does (as in if you have an umbrella it doesn't rain)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy