Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Skis for an Indoor slope?

Poster: A snowHead
When I go to the alps I can rent skis easily, but I’m spending most of my time skiing in Hemel Fridge. I usually use the skis they provide for free, but it would be nice to have something with edges so that they didn’t skid out on the “polished bits”.

So, I’ve got to thinking, perhaps I should have my own.
Ideally, I’d like to pick up a bargain, something with last season’s graphics.

I’m thinking of about 160cm of full cambered with a rental style binding.

I’ve been looking on eBay to see if there is anything suitable… but there doesn’t seem to be much worthwhile stuff on there, its nearly all knackery old skis at ridiculously high prices.

Just something to dream about.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slalom skis for indoors ~160 cm is good, waist <70 mm, radius <13m. There’s nothing better to work on technique with limited space. Just buy some, it will be worth it, the rentals are grim.

There’s a pair of dynastar master SL 162 on eBay, £200 + postage.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Hemel slope is smaller than my backyard.

Small slope = small skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi @stephap, I think I spotted the Dynastars, but the ones I saw had screw on bindings fitted.

I'll look again when I have time .. Cheers!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DrLawn wrote:
hi @stephap, I think I spotted the Dynastars, but the ones I saw had screw on bindings fitted.

I'll look again when I have time .. Cheers!

You are right, they do, I didn’t notice at first. Any of the generic brand slalom skis are fine atomic s9/s7, head e-SL/e-SLR, Rossi ST ti, salomon SL 10/12/addikt, volkl racetiger etc see if there’s any Black Friday deals.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what @stephap said. basically those are about the dimensions of the rental skis (I think the head ones are 12m radius at 160cm), which are perfect for the slope, but tend to be soft and noodle-y, not so sharp and not waxed.
I have a pair of Atomic Redster Edge 164 long, 70 waist 11.7m radius which are perfect for indoors (which I took away to the Alps once and hated!). Not particularly recommending that specific ski, but those are the sort of stats you want.

Remember though that if you are buying skis to benefit from the sharp edges and waxed bases you will need to service them occasionally

Another hack at Hemel is to ask for a pair of the 170s, they get a lot less use, if you don't mind a slightly longer ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, atomic redster s9 165.

Nice and light and not so stiff for indoor but when you push them on piste they grip like hell.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take an edging file with you. The ones you get over the counter are excellent! You wouldn't want to ski them on an actual proper mountain though...... Failing that, some sort of flimsy SL ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, Thanks for the advice, I'm not in a hurry to get a pair.
I think that the Redsters S9 would be a bit too full on for me.
The softer versions might be a good shout and also in a shorter version 152 or such.
But if I bump into a pair going cheap... then different story.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stephap, & @stephap,
I had an email from SportsPursuit today that got my juices going.
They had a range of 2 year old unused skis which would suit my needs.
The ones that caught my eye in particular were Dynastar 263 they had them at about 155cm
for £180

There were a few other skis on there which looked like very good deals.
I'm going to hang fire a while till I've got some spare pocket money.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn,
I have a Volkl Racetiger Sl 160 cm very good condition lots of life on edge not a scratch on them,a very good piste ski £200 any reasonable offer accepted. binding will fit any size boot.I ski at both Hemel and MK being equidistant from them.
You are welcome to try them before buying

Forst
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would like to seel them on S/ H but for some reason can't get on the for sale page.

Forst
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DrLawn, you could always hold out for the next atomic ski test in Hemel or see what demo skis are in S&R for ideas of what suits. It’s worth looking on Facebook marketplace and skibay uk for 2nd hand.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, Ok, a bit left field here but I have Line Blades which are a bit wacky but good for a snow dome - 95 waist but piste orientated and very tight turning (10ish?) so good for the washed out bits in the middle but also great in the 'side-piste powder' by the drag lifts. Very Happy might be difficult to pick up a deal on them though - I got mine after the Oktobertest 2 years ago at a decent price Blush
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Might be worth checking this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/415519891835358. New and Used Ski & Snowboard gear for sale/wanted/swap etc...in the UK. I can (I think) give you an invite.
snow conditions
Hi @Forst, I'll have to look out for you in Hemel Smile
I don't want to spend £200 on a pair of skis at the moment.

I have got something I should really swap out.

I have a pair of Salomon 800xt in 182cm in pretty good nick
they look like this:
https://www.mardosport.com/e-20731-skis-salomon-enduro-xt800-sandwich-sidewalls-double-ti-laminate-powerline-salomon-z12
snow report
@DrLawn,
Hi i shall pm you
Forst
snow conditions
@DrLawn,
Hi ok
As I said Im willing to accept a reasonable offer having a clear out, also have a Nordica Doberman Spitfire 162 very good condition plenty of edge life will be a bit cheaper £150.and a Stockli Stormrider 75 in a 162 about 5years old £75
I will be at Hemel Tuesday morning,the Volkl are at Snow & Rock downstairs.Ask Ali if you want to try them before I will let her know beforehand .
Forst
snow report
Got a pair of genuinely 'used twice' (2x 1hr Tamworth sessions) Head Rev 75s in 170cms that I bought specifically for Snowdome bashing circa 2016 and that have been gathering dust ever since - bindings are drilled however to accept mondo 28.5 but will have a few mm flex in either direction - Midlands based
snow conditions
Tubaski wrote:
what @stephap said. basically those are about the dimensions of the rental skis (I think the head ones are 12m radius at 160cm), which are perfect for the slope, but tend to be soft and noodle-y, not so sharp and not waxed.
I have a pair of Atomic Redster Edge 164 long, 70 waist 11.7m radius which are perfect for indoors (which I took away to the Alps once and hated!). Not particularly recommending that specific ski, but those are the sort of stats you want.

Remember though that if you are buying skis to benefit from the sharp edges and waxed bases you will need to service them occasionally

Another hack at Hemel is to ask for a pair of the 170s, they get a lot less use, if you don't mind a slightly longer ski.

Re Hemel, i did that as i wanted to tryout that length as i have the opportunity a nice set of s/h ski's seemed to take a long time to bring them out and yes sharp edges however, took a tumble and the bindings didnt release as quick as they should've (i guess because they were not used frequently) so now i have a torn calf muscle, sprained ankle and aggravated the meniscus in the knee joint ffs Skullie
snow conditions
@Aqua66, sorry to hear of your accident. Bindings are designed to prevent broken legs rather than the injuries you mention, bindings also don't release in all directions. I personally have suffered calf and meniscus injuries on my own (good condition, properly set up) skis when the type of fall didn't align with the release characteristics of the binding.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
latest report
Thanks Tuba
latest report
@Aqua66,

Weird! (or maybe not) - that's EXACTLY what happened to me on my last visit to an indoor and why I've never used skis / been to a snowdome since! Innocuous bump with a snowboarder and fell weirdly - bindings did not release (poss due to being new although they were set lower than normal) and I ended up with a torn calf - took several months / expensive sport physio to recover!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy