Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rental prices - what should I expect?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Obertauern, Austria mid December and just looked at the Intersport website to book skis, boots & poles for our family of 4. Even selecting "economy" skis, for 6 days hire the price after special discount is €795.

Its our first time to Austria - indeed last year was our first ski holiday in over 20 years (France), but I'm sure we paid about half that price Shocked

So what is the going rate for economy/average equipment for one week's hire?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Halitosis, does seem a little pricey, checking Intersport for Vallandry similar package is around €150 each so €600 total

Have a look at other shops and price match.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was quoted €280 for 7 days hire in Val d'Isere for next week, not economy but even so...I've booked an extra bag on BA and taking my own
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Alpinresorts for a comparison. Also, contacting the shops direct can be a good idea as they will often beat the online prices as they avoid handling fees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpinresorts discount BLKFRDAY23

Although it seems they always have a discount on their mailing list
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds a bit steep. For reference, 6 days basic ski/boot hire in Vertigo, Livigno is 92 euro. Ive had friends hire the basic ones, and they've been new and well looked after. My wife has booked some mid range ones (Rossignol Nova 6 and Salomon Quest boots) for 13 days in Jan this year, 226 euro. Top of the range skis/boots for a week are 187 euro.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've paid £247 for 3 x 6 day ski hire only (black/gold level) in Soll for end of Jan.

The site we used is Skidiscounts.co.uk and a quick look for mid-Dec (skis, boots, helmets) is £522 (assuming your kids are under 1Cool for economy level.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@halfhand, do you have a link to that site please because typing it in seems to get me to a not available message? *edit, found it Skidiscount with no s * @Halitosis, I am booking for Tignes and Flachau at the moment and Austria is distinctly more expensive (though may get better quality for that)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@toyah807, Sorry, bad typing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I am booking for Tignes at the moment
We have our own skis but find booking online with Ski Republic can be cheaper than paying ski carriage for short trips. They are linked to a few different hire shops throughout the resort. We've used 2 or 3 different shops through Ski Republic and always had decent kit.

There's currently a discount code on their website for an extra 15% off - FRIDAY23.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is why we have now our full equipement. Starting by boots will reduce your price a lot and you will have boots that fit with you. France is usually cheaper for renting (specially with Ski Republic) than Swiss or Austria. Last time we ski in Swiss, it cost us less buying our skis and poles at Decathlon rather than renting a week in Grindelwald !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@halfhand, no worries, no shops in Flachau anyway. @mountainaddict, cheers, I am on PIPAU so suspect i will go with whatever deal @Admin negotiates. @Halitosis, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not sure if you've used a broker, but outside of France (where ski hire brokers often seem to be cheaper) I'd recommend contacting a few shops directly and enquiring about the best price.

For 10 days' hire we've tended to pay well under £100pp for perfectly reasonable kit. For the most recent 3 trips we've paid:
- £78pp in France (10 days, for Jan 2024)
- £61pp in Italy (10 days, Mar 2023)
- £80pp in France (9 days, Jan 2023)

For 6 days I think you'd be looking for a bit less than that (maybe not 40% less, but surely not €795). Caveat - it's a while since I've skied in Austria. Perhaps it's more expensive there for some reason but still might be worth using the same approach.

(As an aside, when booking online, we have so far never opted for the cheaper "beginner" or "green/blue slope" range. Does anyone know whether this category really only contains beginner skis or is it a trick to make other piste skiers think they have to pay more?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Halitosis, try Sport Circle or Sport Gefäll in Obertauern.

https://www.sportcircle.at
https://www.obertauern-sport.com
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Take a look at Mietski, only used them in St Anton but we’re very happy with the quality of skis and their cost

https://www.mietski.com/en/obertauern/
snow conditions
@Halitosis, yeah that's a flippin' eye watering price, I can only assume the internet saw you coming...

Second what others say re alpinresorts and one of their many discount codes (ALPISKI being another reliable one) - I got upper end skis/boards and boots for 6 people in Mayrhofen for about €550
snow conditions
another tip for Austria is to offer to pay "ahem" cash wink
snow report
Thanks again everyone for your tips & guidance. After a lot of shopping around, Alpinresorts were offering the lowest price and we've paid £587 for the lowest standard of skis/boots +poles. That's for 3 adults and a 17 year old (who is amusingly the tallest and heaviest of the family). A fair bit lower than my OP, though hardly what I would consider a bargain.
On the plus side, 80cm snow depth at the village so looking great for our trip in 2 weeks time!
Cheers again
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy