Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tyre grips vs snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
Does anyone have experience of using tyre grips instead of snow chains on their vehicle? - I have some chains but they are a real pain to fit and I rarely need them. Now I find that there are grips which fit through the wheel-spokes and are easily fitted.
    Do they work?
    Are they indeed easily fitted?
    Do the French and Italian police accept them on the roads?

Any comments and advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean these things?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CH9GZC95/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A56RWECHWCILX&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

if so I've been looking at them too but cant find any reviews online.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mega-snowhead No, these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CFQ3XBZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnowVillan wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CFQ3XBZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

They are funny.....anyone think that fitting 4 separate items to each wheel by passing a strap through the wheel itself, then past the brake disc and caliper to secure them is going to be easy ?

Maybe wrong, but I'd honestly like to see someone use them in adverse conditions......successfully.

Could offer some support and encouragement by guaranteed supply of a couple boy scouts to rub together and a chocolate teapot in case they dont work Very Happy

Steer well clear.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnowVillan, the only time I've seen something similar tested on youtube, they got ripped off as soon as the wheel started spinning.

Snow socks would be far better for what you want and are definitely approved in France, don't know about Italy. The original approved brand was Autosock, others might be too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They look daft. Either get a better set of chains which are easier to fit, or learn to fit the ones you've got. Unless you have major problems of inadequate wheel clearance (which would also affect fitting these new things) fitting chains just needs a little bit of practice. I'm a 76 year old woman and I can do it in a few minutes but always have a "practice run" outside my garage in Hampshire before setting off to drive to the snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, Fair enough, Pam. I bought a set of chains last year (to the appropriate spec for my car / wheels) and have not been able to get them fitted - I have had a fair bit of experience of using chains, but this was a new car last year. Tried them today and they just seem too small! and won't get round the wheel rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good job you found that out now, rather than out in a snowy layby. Sounds like they are the wrong size. They need to fit the tyre size - the numbers printed on the tyre. Most chains fit a range of different tyre sizes, but not all, and many models of car can have different size tyres on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

This lash-up did the job for a few miles when unexpected October snow found me with summer tyres on the car. But that's all very well when the chains are too big. Not much help when they're too small.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, I've definitely got the right size chains - as recommended - for the tyre size ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnowVillan, I know I'm being facetious in first post, but they are almost comically useless in practice.

For your chains though, have you tried them with wheel off the car ? You'll at least get a very clear and detailed look at what's holding you up, and likely go from there if there's a definite stop or just very awkward to fit them.

A reliable alternative for contingency and convenience is Michelin snow socks or soft chains. Usually they're very well tested and made, generally with compliance in all European jurisdiction is there too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski3, Thanks for your thoughts, facetious or not. All input is useful.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SnowVillan, do you know anybody who regular fits chains successfully, who could try yours. If they really ARE the right size for the tyres, then they obviously should fit! But you did say that they were the ones for your wheels, which is not quite the same thing.

At what stage in the process do you find they won't "get round the wheel"? Could you post a photo of the stage where you get stuck? What is the make/model of the chains?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/XeH0rx3yDGw?feature=shared
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's a good video, though not all chains are exactly the same. One thing I would add is that when taking them off (generally harder than putting them on) you need to check that the bit that hooks together, which will be right over behind the wheel, is near the top, where you'll be able to to grab it. I wouldn't do what that guy does and drop one end before I'd located that join!!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
That's a good video, though not all chains are exactly the same. One thing I would add is that when taking them off (generally harder than putting them on) you need to check that the bit that hooks together, which will be right over behind the wheel, is near the top, where you'll be able to to grab it. I wouldn't do what that guy does and drop one end before I'd located that join!!

Mine are same type as that Pam, I do as he did because the "diamond" shape that was free underneath the tyre (and why they go slacker after you initially roll them) is now tight on the tyre against the ground.

Dropping that side of the chain allows you to pull the primary link back over the tread to see and access it easily. You can't do it as you did when putting them on as there's no slack available.

I'm about 30sec each one to get them off, literally pull them forward at that stage to disengage and drop it all, both sides, then drive off them.

If a reminder of where that rear primary link is needed, then put a small day glow zip tie on the chain leading to it to signal where to stop the wheel.
latest report
Could be the chains were wrongly labelled size wise.
If I'm ever getting a new set I would go for Clack and Go or some of the other "easy" fit ones.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-11-23 22:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:
Could be the chains were wrongly labelled size wise.

This. It's happened to me. Take the wheel off and see if they actually fit. If they don't, then they are the wrong size.

If you know how to put them on properly, it's a couple of minutes each wheel.

And those plastic things are crap! Definitely not something you would want to trust your life with.
latest report
We probably all work out our own ways of doing chains. I have weak hand and thought the idea of spraying the main link with de- icer (in that video) was a good one.
latest report
My other half has it really well figured out. She just sits in the truck while I do it, and then has a moan about all the mud I get on the seats.
ski holidays
The better chains are easy to fit. I use Kong self tensioning.

Some prefer the Konig CU9 that you just stand on to tighten.
latest report
SnowVillan wrote:

1. Reviews look very fake.
2. Won't fit on steel rims and not every alloy one.
3. Will scratch the other alloy rims.
4. Four segments are most likely too few, especially when cornering.
5. Plastic will break easily.
snow report
Here's another variation: https://spikes-spider.com/
snow conditions
Thanks for all the responses. Having watched all the videos, I think that the Konig self-adjusting chains that I have are too small for the vehicle (despite having checked the sizing on the box-label and my tyres). I'll need to decide what to do, but I have been in contact with Konig UK.
snow conditions
another option is https://fr.michelin-lifestyle.com/fr/promotions/snow-chains/easy-grip-evolution
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy