Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soldeu in Mid-March

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all Eh oh!

New to the forum/site, but have been skiing for a while.

Heading on my first ski trip in a while with my wife (beginner to intermediate level) and her sister + partner (Both never skied before).

My sister in-law partner mentioned he want to head to Andorra and I never been so agreed, after reading up we decided to go for Soldeu due to the slopes and also the mixture of Apre Ski.

Just wondering what the snow conditions will be like in Mid March (heading for St.Patricks week, so mid march) and was wondering that since El Nino is due for the 2024/24 I wonder if it has any impact on the Pyrenees at all.

Also any resort suggestions involving food, drink, ski gear or anything like that would be highly appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Soldeu is high and cheap and sunny and with plenty of snowguns.

You'll be good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should be OK, climate doom notwithstanding. At worst take the gondola down to avoid warm low slopes after 2pm if necessary. The tops should be fine and they have extensive snowmaking. Top tip: check your mobile phone charges, they are outside the EU and bill shock is real. There’s pretty good Wi-Fi in the mountain restaurants; if you can find a cheap deal on data, much better. Other top tip; get to lunch before 1pm, even 12.55 is good, if you don’t want to be queueing for 20mins.
I have written a couple of trip reports for El Tarter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Orange200 wrote:
You should be OK, climate doom notwithstanding. At worst take the gondola down to avoid warm low slopes after 2pm if necessary. The tops should be fine and they have extensive snowmaking. Top tip: check your mobile phone charges, they are outside the EU and bill shock is real. There’s pretty good Wi-Fi in the mountain restaurants; if you can find a cheap deal on data, much better. Other top tip; get to lunch before 1pm, even 12.55 is good, if you don’t want to be queueing for 20mins.
I have written a couple of trip reports for El Tarter.

Thank you for that, il keep in mind about the mobile phone charges! Where can i find those reports as I would be interested in reading those.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m on phone now but search Tarter within this Trip Reports forum, they should come up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It should be fine. March can be very warm or very snowy! Look at the weather forecast and choose your tactics accordingly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Theobane, we were in Soldeu first week of March this year and it snowed for 2 days when we arrived. The end of the week was almost ski in T-shirt weather! Very warm. If it wasn’t for the 2 days of snow the conditions would not have been good for us - we are experienced skiers and enjoy mileage and off piste. Having said that we really liked the ski area, beers/food are much cheaper than France or Austria. Our hotel was 4.5€ a pint.
If your group are beginner/intermediate level there will be more than enough to keep you entertained on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MogulMonkey wrote:
@Theobane, we were in Soldeu first week of March this year and it snowed for 2 days when we arrived. The end of the week was almost ski in T-shirt weather! Very warm. If it wasn’t for the 2 days of snow the conditions would not have been good for us - we are experienced skiers and enjoy mileage and off piste. Having said that we really liked the ski area, beers/food are much cheaper than France or Austria. Our hotel was 4.5€ a pint.
If your group are beginner/intermediate level there will be more than enough to keep you entertained on the slopes.

Thank you for that, yeah we will be going at around 3 week of March (17th to 24th) so hopefully we will be grand. I assume by the sounds of things that there will be little to no off-piste skiing around that time of year?

Yeah I am more interested in making sure everyone enjoys themselves, that way I have more chances of skiing more regularly if I can get them hooked Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Theobane wrote:
MogulMonkey wrote:

Thank you for that, yeah we will be going at around 3 week of March (17th to 24th) so hopefully we will be grand. I assume by the sounds of things that there will be little to no off-piste skiing around that time of year?

Yeah I am more interested in making sure everyone enjoys themselves, that way I have more chances of skiing more regularly if I can get them hooked Very Happy

It really depends. Last season there was little to no off piste in March. Some pistes already had to close but it was an unseasonably warm and sunny March. The year before, March had the best off piste conditions of the whole season. You had to be out the day after a dump though any longer than that and the off piste was just clag.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:
Theobane wrote:
MogulMonkey wrote:

It really depends. Last season there was little to no off piste in March. Some pistes already had to close but it was an unseasonably warm and sunny March. The year before, March had the best off piste conditions of the whole season. You had to be out the day after a dump though any longer than that and the off piste was just clag.

Ah cool, thank you for that. Hope we have a cold season so, also handy to know about powder days and the day after.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One word of advice don't try and save money by staying is Pas de la Casa...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
russ_e wrote:

We are staying the Sports Hotel in Soldeu, Pas de la Casa seems a bit mental for our tastes Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
russ_e wrote:

It’s not pretty, but it has plenty of fans (look to the mountains not to the town!). Jnr works there and loves it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Theobane wrote:
russ_e wrote:

We are staying the Sports Hotel in Soldeu, Pas de la Casa seems a bit mental for our tastes Laughing

A good spot.

Aspen Bar is just opposite. I'd recommend it.

On the mountain, I'd recommend Roc de las Bruixes for lunch (end of the beautiful Rossignol run above El Tarter). For an early coffee or a beer later, Plac de las Pedres, which is an igloo with a terrace at the end of Solanella XL (heading from El Tarter over to Encamp, but easy enough to return to Soldeu later).
snow report
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Theobane wrote:
russ_e wrote:

A good spot.

Aspen Bar is just opposite. I'd recommend it.

On the mountain, I'd recommend Roc de las Bruixes for lunch (end of the beautiful Rossignol run above El Tarter). For an early coffee or a beer later, Plac de las Pedres, which is an igloo with a terrace at the end of Solanella XL (heading from El Tarter over to Encamp, but easy enough to return to Soldeu later).

Ah thank you for the recommendations!! Trying to plan out everything before I go so that the rest of the group have a good time.
ski holidays
@PrimroseAndBlue, for some reason the igloo underneath Pla de les Pedres is the most expensive beer in the whole area (same for G&T). Quite reasonable for vino caliente though.
latest report
hammerite wrote:
@PrimroseAndBlue, for some reason the igloo underneath Pla de les Pedres is the most expensive beer in the whole area (same for G&T). Quite reasonable for vino caliente though.

Is Igloo similar to Folie Douce in Val Thorens/Val D'Isere? I think its on the top of the blue run (I have been checking out the street views of the slopes lol)
snow report
Theobane wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Is Igloo similar to Folie Douce in Val Thorens/Val D'Isere? I think its on the top of the blue run (I have been checking out the street views of the slopes lol)

No, this one is a fairly quiet bar between two chairlifts and on a (fairly hazardous!) crossroads between pistes.

The livelier igloo bar is called the Iqos Lounge and it's on a blue run near to the Soldeu mid station. Having never been to Folie Douce, I can't confirm 100% if it's similar, but I would be surprised if it is. Grandvalira tends to close bars on the mountain at 16:00 so everyone can get down the mountain before lifts close and before everyone gets too half cut. It's therefore fairly low key even if the music is loud some days.

Probably the liveliest apres bar on the slopes is at the flying saucer just above Pas. I'm not sure what time this closes though.
snow conditions
Does anyone know if there is a Taxi service that go between Pas and Soldeu? Or a bus service that run late night between the towns?
snow conditions
Theobane wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a Taxi service that go between Pas and Soldeu? Or a bus service that run late night between the towns?
the last bus from Pas towards Soldeu is 22:00 I think. The last bus from ALV is 22:00 which will stop in Soldeu about 30 mins later and go on to Pas (the bus is the L4).

Taxis are possible. There won’t be many based in Soldeu. There’ll be a few more based in Pas. Don’t bother trying to book one yourself. Ask the bar or hotel you are in to book one for you. I’ve even gone into hotels and asked them to book one for me even though I’m not a resident. Plan ahead as there might be a bit of a wait (I.e. order one for a time, or order one, ask how long it’ll be and then get another drink).
snow conditions
Sweet, thank you for that!

I doubt we will head up to Pas but its just handy that we are not limited to what ever is in Soldeu, even if we want to go for dinner next town over or something else.
latest report
There’s a really nice meat grill next door in El Tarter. Plus a great discount ski clothing shop (Espunyes).
snow report
It so varies one year to the next. I’ve skied there in April and had better conditions than expected but been in March and it was more slushy..especially the lower slopes and afternoons. Bearable both times though and Soldeu is a good choice for your group.
snow conditions
skiseekers wrote:
It so varies one year to the next. I’ve skied there in April and had better conditions than expected but been in March and it was more slushy..especially the lower slopes and afternoons. Bearable both times though and Soldeu is a good choice for your group.

That's handy to know! Yeah as long as they enjoy it I don't mind, I have one of the party members worried if there will be enough snow and in turn made me worry due to how the last few seasons have turned out and how it's so warm.
latest report
Taverna de la Ia (spelling) in Soldeu is a good spot for dinner.
snow report
hammerite wrote:

G&T seem hideously expensive everywhere I've found. Especially the place at the bottom of the World Cup run. But "Andorran measures" apply for everything which is fun.
snow conditions
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
hammerite wrote:

G&T seem hideously expensive everywhere I've found. Especially the place at the bottom of the World Cup run. But "Andorran measures" apply for everything which is fun.

What is Andorran measure? I am more of a beer and whiskey drinker
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Theobane wrote:
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
hammerite wrote:

The bar staff just keep pouring until they think it’s enough. It usually means you end up with half a glass of spirit.

@PrimroseAndBlue, Yes the place at the bottom of Avet is expensive too. Owned by the same company as the Hermitage I think.

Drinks on the mountain on the whole are getting more expensive (same as anywhere else), but what bothers me is the inconsistent pricing. Nearly everywhere is owned by the lift company yet prices are different across all the bars.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Theobane wrote:
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
hammerite wrote:

The bar staff just keep pouring until they think it’s enough. It usually means you end up with half a glass of spirit.

@PrimroseAndBlue, Yes the place at the bottom of Avet is expensive too. Owned by the same company as the Hermitage I think.

Drinks on the mountain on the whole are getting more expensive (same as anywhere else), but what bothers me is the inconsistent pricing. Nearly everywhere is owned by the lift company yet prices are different across all the bars.

Nice, looking forward to seeing that measure now lol.

How much are drinks usually on the mountain? Depending on the area, I generally bring my own up the slope.
ski holidays
@Theobane, a large beer is probably €5-6.50. Small beer €4-5. Hot wine €4. Not sure about normal wine. I’ve not been with anyone this season who will drink spirits on the mountain, but I’d imagine a G&T to be upwards of €7.50.

Where I live isn’t a particularly touristy place, if I go to a bar here a large beer is about €3-4. In ALV and the touristy villages, a large beer is about €4-5.
latest report
hammerite wrote:
@Theobane, a large beer is probably €5-6.50. Small beer €4-5. Hot wine €4. Not sure about normal wine. I’ve not been with anyone this season who will drink spirits on the mountain, but I’d imagine a G&T to be upwards of €7.50.

Where I live isn’t a particularly touristy place, if I go to a bar here a large beer is about €3-4. In ALV and the touristy villages, a large beer is about €4-5.

Cool, thank you for that. So similar enough pricing for some drinks then to where I live. Though the beer between €4-5 sounds good for me!
snow conditions
Andorra can be great or not so great mid March, just like anywhere else. Season 22/23 was quite poor for snowfall overall but they still managed the world championships in Soldeu in mid March. Not as lively as Pas, more sedate & civilised. The ski instructers have a band which plays in one of the local bars. ALways good.
ski holidays
@Theobane, there’s a small hotel bar at the end of my street. We visited for the first time to have a Boxing Day drink in there. 4 large beers, 2 small beers, 2 cokes and a bag of crisps came to €15. I’m not sure if the barman got it wrong or whether it’s just ridiculously cheap. We’ll be back for a second visit just to check!

Going back to your taxi question. I forgot to mention a service called City Xerpa. It’s Andorra’s version of Deliveroo but you can also book taxis on the app. I’ve not had a taxi using it yet but I have had food delivered. Seems to work well. I just looked and it’s €47 for up to 6 people from Soldeu to Pas. I would imagine it’s because most of the drivers are based in ALV as it’s the same price for me to get there and I’m probably twice the distance to Pas than Soldeu is.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 29-12-23 19:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, it was ridiculously hot when the World Cup finals were on too. I took a group of kids to watch the super-g and we were sat in t-shirts.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
@Theobane, there’s a small hotel bar at the end of my street. We visited for the first time to have a Boxing Day drink in there. 4 large beers, 2 small beers, 2 cokes and a bag of crisps came to €15. I’m not sure if the barman got it wrong or whether it’s just ridiculously cheap. We’ll be back for a second visit just to check!

Going back to your taxi question. I forgot to mention a service called City Xerpa. It’s Andorra’s version of Deliveroo but you can also book taxis on the app. I’ve not had a taxi using it yet but I have had food delivered. Seems to work well. I just looked and it’s €47 for up to 6 people from Soldeu to Pas. I would imagine it’s because most of the drivers are based in ALV as it’s the same price for me to get there and I’m probably twice the distance to Pas than Soldeu is.

Ah deadly, thank you for the advice. I like to know as much as possible when I go to a new location so I can get the most out of a holiday, especially as I want to get three people's hooked to skiing lol
snow conditions
@Theobane, I haven’t been for years but we used to enjoy Fat Alberts in Soldeu, lively bar with music etc, and a good restaurant attached, maybe above, maybe below, can’t remember, and the food place at the top of the gondola used to do YMCA at lunchtimes on the hour, cheesey but good fun!
snow report
@geoffknight, yes Fat Alberts is still lively. They do club nights with named DJs after midnight and into the early hours too. It’s where the instructors band (The Shambles) play regularly too. They have a particularly well known ribs night on a Tuesday that is worth looking at.

I’ve not seen any YMCA at the top of the gondola unfortunately, but I may have missed it. Everything is fairly corporate/professional on the mountain most of the time (if that makes sense!).
snow report
Thanks guys!! I will defo check out Fat Albert so, I've been talking up Apre Ski to them so il have to give them a good taste of it lol.

What is the supermarket like there in Soldeu?
snow report
@Theobane, never been to the supermarket in Soldeu.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy