Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Resort - Short Break March 24

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

I was trying to resist the urge to post another "which resort" question, but there's so much knowledge on here I can't help myself.

We're a group of three couples and our dates are fixed as Sat 2nd March to Weds 6th March. We want to fly back as late as possible on the last day to allow some skiing in the morning.

We're looking for:
- Convenience for skiing. Close to a lift and slope. Or at least a slope so we can ski down to a lift. We don't want to have to walk for more than a couple of minutes.
- Reasonably extensive ski area, i.e. probably 100km plus. Not overly fussed by a huge area though, given we'll only have 3.5 days' skiing.
- Ideally an apartment with 3 bedrooms. We like the idea of having a communal area we can congregate in but having the privacy of a bedroom per couple. Hotel would be considered though and would mean we could include breakfast.
- We're really quite keen to have the best chance of reasonable snow. This will be our only trip this year and we want to maximise skiing time and enjoyment. For that reason, I was thinking reasonable altitude and/or mostly north facing slopes would be sensible.
- Ideally not too far from an airport (2.5 hours, 3 definitely stretching it). Coupled with the preference for a later departure to allow for skiing on the final day, that does seem to narrow down options. Turin for example doesn't have any later afternoon/evening flights back to London on the 6th. Innsbruck's latest departure is 4 something, but would possibly work for closer resorts. We're not necessarily tied to flying into/out of the same airports and could also fly out of/into different London airports.
- We are mixed ability, but I think even the weakest skier would be OK on some French reds. I get the impression he'll spend most of the day in a bar anyway.

I'm trying to make a Dolomites option work, but really pushing it on flights/transfer times. I've also got a couple of Three Valleys options, but again that's pushing the transfer time. I don't know much about NW Italy so haven't really found anything there. Same with Austria - the places I know and consider more snow-sure (Lech, Ischgl, St Anton) don't have any affordable accommodation options. We're not on a shoestring budget, but equally not looking for luxury. Our last trip was to Norway and we blew the budget on that one. We all want it to be cheaper this year. I've also looked at an option flying into Zurich and going to Lenzerheide, but I'm a little worried the lack of north-facing slopes might limit skiing in March.

I get the impression our options would be much better if we hadn't been limited to the French holidays, but unfortunately we can't do any other date.

Does anyone have any resort ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you go to somewhere easily accessible from Geneva Airport you could catch an easyJet flight as late as 21.10 and ski the whole last day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@milzibkit, Chamonix or Avoriaz would be my suggestions, Cham more options for short stays in town, mini-bus transfer GVA - if you are intending skiing the day of departure St Anton is a real push, you'd need to be off the snow by 14.30 latest for a quick hop onto ZRH train, if you can late evening scheduled - can be done but its a journey with much that can go wrong, train delays etc. You'll also struggle with short stays in Arlberg unless you go 4-5 star hotels and it'd be a big money stay. I'd go Cham and hope snow stays good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That week there ought to be snow everywhere, though prediction from past experience is less sure than it was. For France there is one region still on half term but you will miss the biggest crowds. However that also means apartment rentals may only be Saturday to Saturday adding to your costs.

Your ski-in ski-out requirement is going to limit options, 110+ km will be true of almost any resort you have heard of. The best chance is likely to be a purpose built resort - if you were to take @snowball's suggestion of a late return flight from Geneva you might think of Flaine or Avoriaz.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Avoriaz doesn't seem to have any accommodation options, even looking at Sat-Sat bookings. Similar issue with Flaine, although we could do two smaller apartments. A few of us have been to Flaine before and really like the skiing in the area.

You're right that the (almost) ski in/out requirement limits things, but that is one of the top must-haves. We don't mind a couple of minutes' walk, but that's the max really.

I was hoping some suggestions for Swiss/Austrian or Italian destinations might be forthcoming. I think my knowledge of French options is very good. Less so for the countries to the east.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geneva, zurich, munich and milan all have 9pm return flights to london meaning you can get a full day in if you are within 3hrs
ZRH - laax, arosa, st anton, st gallenkirch, might have to use a car for those
MXP - monterosa, via leatta etc
GVA - Verbier, Zermatt, Aletsch, some french places are im sure
MUC - Ski Welt, Kitz, Saalbach etc would work
look for outlying resorts, we got a good deal for a short stay in stuben for st anton last year.
using a car when trying to make the times work helps a lot, although i do like train xfers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you thought of Davos?
Snow should be good then and plenty of hotels close to the Parsennbahn funicular lift. I think there are lots of apartments also, but have always used hotels. Davos is c. 2.5 hours from Zurich on the train. You could also try Klosters which has the same ski area and is 30 minutes closer to Zurich
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would look at Switzerland and accessible resorts from Geneva if you are in French holiday time. The 4 valley resorts other than Verbier usually have a decent amount of self catering accommodation that is not extortionate and a late flight would allow you to ski all day Wednesday. other resorts such as Villars , Leysin etc are readily accessible.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@milzibkit,

Yeah, your dates don't help but you know that. That time of year everywhere should have good proper snow cover but if sunny and mild, south facing will get a bit soft. Then again, nothing wrong, in my book, with a 10h00 start (or just head high straight out the trap) and a late lunch in the sun.

To maximise ski-time, I think Geneva's optimal. Easyjet have a 20h35 to Gatwick, 21h00 to Luton (which is better to get to than it was 17 years ago, a little bit anyway, so as @snowball suggests you easily get a full day skiing, no stress.

Avoriaz more or less all ski-in-out-ish. Hopefully high enough (or we're all in trouble). PdS has lots of excellent lunch spots. Avoriaz at night?, no real idea but must be OK, right? Morzine also an option but not as convenient. (I have done many, many weekends to Morzine).

Substitute Flaine for Avoriaz and Les Carroz for Morzine and that's about the same for the Grand Massif. Not so many, IME, fine luncheon spots though.

Chamonix certainly accesses high enough. But valley can be a bit dislocated if you don't have a car. And defo mostly more than a few minutes walk in most cases. But even a decent car park is more than a couple of minutes walk so I think you're asking a bit much there. Also Chamonix reds typically a bit harder work than most French reds, hahaha!

St Gervais, etc. also worth a look, but generally a bit quieter I'd expect (and you'd need to be careful that your accommodation wasn't somewhere a bit crappy, e.g. down the valley in Le Fayet).

Outside of those four areas, I think you're typically looking at materially reduced transfer infrastructure, which again complicates things.

Lefter of field, Verbier rarely fails to satisfy. Train from Geneva, convenient town, still easy to get that 20h30 Gatwick flight home on the Wednesday after a - more or less - full day's skiing ...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You're right that the (almost) ski in/out requirement limits things, but that is one of the top must-haves. We don't mind a couple of minutes' walk, but that's the max really.

I know tastes vary but I've gone a full 180 on this in the (admittedly short) time I've been skiing. The lightbulb moment was the realisation that leaving skis and boots at the rental store overnight gave us the best of both worlds. We can walk from our accommodation to the shop in our normal shoes, collect our stuff and then walk a few metres to the lift at the start of the day... so minimal time spent lugging skis. And, at the end, we can ski back to base, dump our stuff at the shop and then go for a beer (or head back to accommodation) at our leisure.

I know everybody's tastes are different, but I went from 'ski in ski out is a must' to 'there just needs to be a hire shop near a lift that lets you store your stuff overnight' in a flash once I realised that's what I actually cared about - and it massively opened up the range of resorts and accommodation options available to us.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gendal, very good point, although it does mean you don't have the badge of pride of waking up in bed still in your ski boots having left a dodgy nightclub at 05h00 ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gendal wrote:
Quote:

I know tastes vary but I've gone a full 180 on this in the (admittedly short) time I've been skiing. The lightbulb moment was the realisation that leaving skis and boots at the rental store overnight gave us the best of both worlds. We can walk from our accommodation to the shop in our normal shoes, collect our stuff and then walk a few metres to the lift at the start of the day... so minimal time spent lugging skis. And, at the end, we can ski back to base, dump our stuff at the shop and then go for a beer (or head back to accommodation) at our leisure.

I know everybody's tastes are different, but I went from 'ski in ski out is a must' to 'there just needs to be a hire shop near a lift that lets you store your stuff overnight' in a flash once I realised that's what I actually cared about - and it massively opened up the range of resorts and accommodation options available to us.

That is a very good point. Not quite so easy to search for though - as I have no idea which places will offer ski/boot storage right by a lift/piste. I'd certainly consider that, though. I'm sure I could convince the others.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flaine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I fly manc to Munich with luthansa because they do late flight to the UK. I've just checked to London and the flight is 21.50. Give you the whole day.. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DCG wrote:
Have you thought of Davos?
Snow should be good then and plenty of hotels close to the Parsennbahn funicular lift. I think there are lots of apartments also, but have always used hotels. Davos is c. 2.5 hours from Zurich on the train. You could also try Klosters which has the same ski area and is 30 minutes closer to Zurich

I had assumed Davos/Klosters would be very expensive once we were there. We will likely be eating out a lot and drinking a reasonable amount too. Is that assumption misplaced?
ski holidays
@milzibkit, certainly more expensive than some places!
latest report
@milzibkit, I would say that Switzerland and France are on a par for on-mountain prices with Austria and Italy being cheaper. Of course, St Moritz and Zermatt are higher priced, but Davos/Klosters is not awful. Given that you are only there for 3 days, any food & drink price differential is probably small by comparison to transfer prices and hotel/accom prices.
One thing I have found in the past is that it's easier to get hotel short breaks in Davos than in French resorts where they are more likely to be looking for a 7-day stay.
snow conditions
milzibkit wrote:
gendal wrote:
Quote:

That is a very good point. Not quite so easy to search for though - as I have no idea which places will offer ski/boot storage right by a lift/piste. I'd certainly consider that, though. I'm sure I could convince the others.

Easier to search for gondola's that have lockers though, which will serve the same purpose. Ski in/ski out is generally top of my list - but I've been with friends where we've had a very short walk (200m/300m) to the main lift and kept our stuff in the lockers there (such as Champagny, Soldeu, Morzine (pleney lift), La Roche/La Plagne).

That said, Avoriaz probably suits your requirements nicely - it's all ski in ski out, lots of apartments, snow sure, very close to Geneva, access to a big ski area and the ability to ski over to the Swiss side just using blues if needed, and a nice few bars for a bit of apres if needed.
ski holidays
Id suggest Geneva airport is your best bet as it gives you loads of options and resorts within 1-2 hrs. Forget 3 Valleys/ Tignes/ Val/ Les Arcs / La Plagne the transfer from Geneva is too far. The closest airport for these is Chambery and i didnt see mid week flights. There are lots of decent resorts with a short transfer - Morzine/ Avor/ Isola 2000/ Chamonix but all are big and you may find just as much ski time in a smaller resort.
snow conditions
milzibkit wrote:
I had assumed Davos/Klosters would be very expensive once we were there. We will likely be eating out a lot and drinking a reasonable amount too. Is that assumption misplaced?

As @DCG says the on-mountain prices are in the range of other places which charge a premium for location. But you do need to be careful about where you eat in town, and when it comes to drink ... very expensive in my experience (unless you buy in a supermarket and take home).
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, you want heted lockers for ski boots! well I do haha!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Handy Turnip, you want heted lockers for ski boots! well I do haha!

Laughing Laughing Laughing yes fair point - cold damp ski boots definitely not fun on a cold morning!!!!
ski holidays
Skis & Boots stored in the ski hire shop ? Never done that but sounds an option. However that does mean you will be the only person standing in the bar having a beer in your ski gear and shoes (not a great look) and you run the risk of some idiot in size 12 ski boots standing on your toe when the band gets going and everyones having a jump around. Im thinking Cocoricos in Tignes & Val where everyone is straight off the slopes into the bar and on it
snow conditions
Munich out and back, circa 2hrs to Westendorf by train for the Skiwelt (or I guess you could organise a transfer for ease if a few of you). Lots of skiing for the level range you describe (we were just starting to ski reds when we went and could get around all over), and you can easily have a day in Kitzbuhel as well (we just got a day add on to the Ski Welt pass on the day).

Town isn't hopping but a few bars, a couple of decent restaurants, and a really nice cake shop. Plenty nice mountain huts. You can store your stuff at the Hausberger shop, they have a bit depot room downstairs (decent for hire also). We stayed in a simple bnb about 5 minutes walk from the lift.

We went for a 5 day break in mod March a few years ago and loved it, snow was great, loads of fun. Of course from Munich it's a similar transfer to the rest of the Skiwelt or Kitz, so depending on where you find suitable accommodation as that's probably the difficult bit.
latest report
Thanks all - plenty of food for thought. I'll get Googling. I'm slightly concerned by the potential for poor snow in some of the lower altitude resort suggestions, but clearly something has to give, because I haven't found much so far.
ski holidays
@milzibkit, Ryanair have Stansted - Milan Malpensa cheap with 22.05 return departure on 6th.

There are combination options using Wizz & Easyjet from Gatwick or BA from Heathrow, check skyscanner for an overview.

Head up to Cervinia, it's a 2hr drive. Plenty of snow there with links across the glacier to Zermatt.

You are probably going to struggle finding accommodation next to lifts in most resorts with your odd short duration. They will be wanting Sat-Sat bookings. Try Booking or Airbnb for options.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 24-11-23 13:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@milzibkit, oddball suggestion, but Ryanair has Stansted to Bologna very cheap with morning flight out and late back, 22.05 again.

Dolomites are just about doable from there. You would have to drive, motorway most of the way, but Cortina is 3hrs and a bit?? Alleghe, Zoldo Alto or Falcade are similar Puzzled

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 24-11-23 13:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@milzibkit, Ryanair again, Stansted to Bergamo, choice of 3 morning flights out on Sat, return at 20.05, so good for a half day.

Try Madonna di Campiglio in the Brenta Dolomites. 2h45 drive time.

Passo Tonale is closer at 2 hr, but not quite as beautiful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
London Gatwick to Innsbruck with Easyjet.

Sat 2nd Mar
Dep 0700
Arr 0955

Weds 6th Mar
Dep 1635
Arr 1735

You could make the Dolomites work from there, or stick to Austria. Zillertal could work, 1hr drive from the Airport, plenty of skiing there as well as plenty of accommodation options along the valley.

On the Saturday arrival day, you could be skiing by lunchtime, and on the Wednesday you could ski until lunch time before heading back. So you'd manage 3 full days and 2 half days.

If you hired a car, you could drive close to Innsbruck and ski for longer then head to the airport giving you even more ski time on the final day.
ski holidays
@milzibkit, transfers might be expensive/tricky for the Italian options. I've always hired a car and driven, but splitting a private taxi transfer in a VW Transporter between 6 of you should be feasible.
latest report
@swskier, I thought of Mayrhofen as I know there are definitely lockers for hire at the Penkenbahn. I get the impression that might be pretty standard in Austria, as Hopfgarten im Brixental also had a lovely heated locker room.
ski holidays
milzibkit wrote:
Hello All

I was trying to resist the urge to post another "which resort" question, but there's so much knowledge on here I can't help myself.

How about Mayrhofen. Only fails on your ski in/ski out, so get somewhere close to the Penken. Good height so should be snowsure. Very short transfer (1 hour from Innsbruck). Should be cheaper than the like of Ischgl (where hotels are expensive and generally do Sat/Sat). Obergurgl would fit your requirements - excellent altitude and aspect and 1.5 hour transfer. Bit expensive i guess. And there's Solden which is effectively the same resort 9as the bus takes 15 mins)
snow conditions
3 double rooms here for your dates, around £115 per room per night B&B, about 300m from the new Funifor lift at Alba straight onto the Sella Ronda...

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/villa-clara-provincia-di-trento1.en-gb.html

https://www.albergoclara.com/en/

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy