Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Any restaurant recommendations for dinner in Selva Val Gardena?? In particular, ones that serve large pasta dishes?? Whilst I know that in Italy, a meal is traditionally composed of multiple courses, my brother & I are satisfied with just a main/pasta.

Also is there any Refugio/cafes/restaurants in the Dolomites that serve a traditional THICK Italian hot chocolate?? Or is it true that this drink is generally only served in "Italy" Italy, rather than Tyrol with its mixed Italian/Austrian/Ladin background??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Adrii, Some years ago I stayed in the excellent Hotel Armin in Selva, and whilst I ate in the hotel restaurant I know that they also have a Grillstube open to non-residents, where you should be able to order just a main course.

There are several mountain rifugios in the Dolomites that serve the proper thick hot chocolate (so thick that you can rest your teaspoon on the surface without sinking Madeye-Smiley ). From the top of my head the Rifugio/Ütia Saraghes in Alta Badia near Armentarola is one such. It has a wooden mammoth outside, hence the mammoth image on their website: https://www.saraghes.com/en/

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Alastair_Pink; that Hot Chocolate recommendation is exactly what I'm looking for NehNeh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Adrii, from their menu, hot chocolate is 3.00 € or with whipped cream 3.30 €, although I usually have the hot chocolate without cream (sensa panna/ohne sahne) as it's rich enough without the cream. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Adrii,

There are several mountain rifugios in the Dolomites that serve the proper thick hot chocolate (so thick that you can rest your teaspoon on the surface without sinking Madeye-Smiley ). From the top of my head the Rifugio/Ütia Saraghes in Alta Badia near Armentarola is one such. It has a wooden mammoth outside, hence the mammoth image on their website: https://www.saraghes.com/en/

thanks Alastair, we've always skied right passed this but will now stop for a chocolate Very Happy

op, also Rifufio Fodom at the bottom of the Lezuo chairlift between Arabba and Canazei does the proper Italian hot chocolate (as we call it)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1
This is a VERY important thread. It is so disappointing if you stop at a ridugio with rubbish HC when 100m further down there is..HC heaven.
Heading to Selva in March.
Venues duly noted.
Hopefully more..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
suec wrote:
+1
This is a VERY important thread. It is so disappointing if you stop at a rifugio with rubbish HC when 100m further down there is..HC heaven.
Venues duly noted.
Hopefully more..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
also in Alta Badia Rifiglio Pralongia for good quality food, https://www.pralongia.it/en/restaurant-corvara-alta-badia I can't remember what the hot chocolate is like so it's probably not the thick stuff.

It's located on the plateau between Corvara/San Cassiano above the Rifugio mentioned by Alastair.

Jimmy's Hutte is popular and I've heard good things but we've not eaten there, https://www.jimmyhuette.com/ located on the route between Selva and Corvara, a popular stop late in the day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cappana Bill (on the way to Marmolada, below Padon2 chair has the cheapest (can't remember how thick tho'..!)

Bistro 'La Scola' in Colfosco (next to Sodlisia lift) does proper thick.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:

Bistro 'La Scola' in Colfosco (next to Sodlisia lift) does proper thick.....

I went in there for the first time last year and was impressed by the service and food quality.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
suec wrote:
+1
This is a VERY important thread. It is so disappointing if you stop at a ridugio with rubbish HC when 100m further down there is..HC heaven.
Venues duly noted.
Hopefully more..

Hear hear! I had stellar food all week on my Corvara trip in 2020 - except at one place in Santa Croce (the one on the right if you're looking at the 2 at mid-station level). Awful food - gnocchi like the vacuum packed gnocchi you can get here in supermarkets. Can imagine the equivalent disappointment when you expect something like that photo & you get the Italian equivalent of Swiss Miss (the awful stuff at N.American ski resorts).

Apparently I did not stop enough for hot chocolate because none that I had matched that photo for dense deliciousness. I had an indifferent hot chocolate but an excellent slopeside ski wax somewhere on the Pralongia plateau.

I am very fond of Comici Hutte (eponymous lift) from all my summer hiking trips in Val Gardena - their cakes are stellar and lunch is good too. Loos are a sight to behold...
Jimmi Hutte has excellent food and not as pricey upstairs as you'd imagine from the size of their wine cellar.

When I did the (green) Sella Ronda, I missed whatever rifugio I'd been planning on for lunch - forgot to detour & then my sister didn't want to backtrack - based on the advice I picked up here to avoid eating at the places directly on the Sella Ronda runs, as they can be complacent given the volume of traffic flowing by their doors. Ended up at Rodella, which was a very pleasant surprise - excellent food here. Had something involving buckwheat and nettles that was delicious & exactly the sort of super-regional fare I seek out. (I always go for buckwheat cake when it's on offer - I could probably do a Schwarzplententorte/Turte de poia guide sooner than I could do a writeup on hot chocolate!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
suec wrote:
+1
Venues duly noted.
Hopefully more..

Well that was a weird double post...I'll use the editing time to give a suggestion to try the food at Boe gondola above Corvara.

Confession: I only had a coffee there. But it's owned by the family that runs Ciasa de Munt in Corvara where I stayed - and they had the best breakfast I've eaten in a dozen+ trips to the Dolomites/Austria/Switzerland. So I will be very curious if any Snowheads can verify if the food there is as good as I am assuming?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 21-11-23 20:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The hut at the top of the Secada has stellar HC. At least it did a few years ago when it was -20 on top...

As for restaurants in Selva, we have never been particularly impressed. La Bula used to have decent pizza/pasta but it looks like the owners are selling or have already done so. The pizzeria in the hockey rink is actually pretty good. We always spend our money at the refugios/baitas and just cook pasta at where we stay.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndreaC wrote:
(I always go for buckwheat cake when it's on offer - I could probably do a Schwarzplententorte/Turte de poia guide sooner than I could do a writeup on hot chocolate!)

as someone who can't eat gluten Buckwheat cake is a god send something I always choose, hmmmmm yummy!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I put together this list of tips for our lads trip to Selva in Jan this year. It was complied from recommendations given by other Snowheads.
Eating on the mountain – Selva and the wider ski area:

Lunch on the mountain:
* Baita Saslonch Hutte just below Ciampinoi, Selva. Great food, craft beer, sunny terrace.
* Rifugio Comici, top of Comici chair. Outdoor cafeteria is affordable and has a spectacular view of the Sella Massif. Indoor fine dining for those with deep pockets.
* Fermeda Hutte in the Seceda/Col Raiser area above Santa Cristina - best wood-fired pizzas I've ever eaten!
* Gostner Schwaige in Alpe di Siusi for fantastic traditional local cuisine (share the kaiserschmarrn for dessert)
* Rifugio Scoiattoli in the Cinque Torri/Super8 area - stunning view.
* Cesa da Fuoch, Porta Vescovo cable-car middle station, next to the Sas della Vegla chairlift - great self-service dishes cooked in front of you, modern dining room with wood burner to dry off

Dinner in Selva:
* Restaurant Pizzeria Sal Fëur was good
* Restaurant Pizzeria Sun Valley Stübele.

Bars and Apres
Busiest bars in Selva are the Kronestube – Str. Meisules
Saltos – Str. Dantercepies
La Stua – Str. Freina
Snow Bar – Str. Ruacia
Bar Okay – Str. Plan de Tieja
snow report
+1 sun valley. Great steaks and desserts . 5 years ago though, but have a look at latest on trip advisor
snow conditions
It’s probably easier to mention places with less than good food …

I will start - the only truly bad meal was at Rifugio Campai in Alta Badia located at the bottom of three chairs - Ciampai, Biok and La Brancia

They have a big outdoor grill which smells amazing but was expensive and not great.
snow report
Browsing the web and stumbled upon an article in the telegraph "40 best mountain restaurants in Europe"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/advice/40-best-mountain-restaurants-europe/

Three around the SR area get a mention

Rifugio Cominci mentioned by @AndreaC nr Selva
at the top of Boe in Corvara there is Rifugio with a couple of restaurants, https://www.boealpinelounge.it/it/ the fine dining one gets a mention
Club Moritizino at Piz La Ila by La Villa https://moritzino.it/ (we stopped here for a drink once and the service was so bad and the drink so expensive we never went back and swore we never would - don't think we're cool or wealthy enough)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy