Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring ski width for a lady in Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We’ve booked a trip touring in Lofoten in April 2024.

Mrs H has Scott Slight touring skis which are approx 1.5kg weight and 83mm underfoot. She’s also got a pair of hardly skied Armada TSTw skis which are 101mm underfoot and 1.9kg with substantially more tip rocker. I could get the Armadas quiver killed and then move her Shift bindings over.

She weighs 63kg and is 5ft 8” tall. She’s a very good skier but probably the least confident of the 3 of us going. The other two skiers plus the guide will be on 95+mm width skis.

We could take both skis but then have faff choosing what to take out so want to just take one pair for her.

Wondering what width skis others have used?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally would go with the Scotts. 83 plenty wide enough for all conditions of a decent skier. Also the weight difference is significant over multi-day touring.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for the Scotts for same reasons - weight saving is king for me when skinning plus a narrower ski also wins there. Maybe going to be a little narrow for skiing very deep powder but personally I like skiing deeper in the snow pack.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon new ski time...

I haven't skied in Lofoten, but it's pretty low and more pertinently right next to the sea so you've got pretty good chances of encountering funky snow and crusts as well as powder/corn. Especially if the others are on wider skis, I imagine your wife would feel more confident and secure in that funky stuff on something around the 100mm mark, but 1900g/ski is too heavy.

Something like this would be both wider and lighter than the Scotts:

- https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/k2-wayback-96-w-22-23-touring-ski::210978.html
- https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/k2-wayback-98-w-23-24-touring-ski::223845.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your budget doesn't run to new skis and bindings (Shifts are on the heavy side if doing lots of vert) then for funky snow take the weight out of the binding, not the ski. For example:

Slight 83 W 168cm @ 1330g + Shift @ 880g = 2210g total
versus
Armada TST W 172cm @ 1900g + ATK Crest @ 290g = 2190g
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Speaking from experience in northern norway (6 trips to Troms/Lyngen), I can say that the maritime snowpack has pretty much always been either dense enough or good enough to make skiing a 90mm perfectly enjoyable for me. Right now I own 87mm and 103mm Kästles, and for a theroretical trip I would be hard pressed. As much as marketing wants us to believe, northern norway snowpack does NOT require wide skis.
There is nothing about that region's snow that woud make it more difficult to ski than what you encounter in the alps.

That said, Lofoten means lowish daily vert usually, so a slightliy heavier ski might not hurt too much.

Cheap, still perfectly doable: Just bring the Slight w/shifts. Likely, ony for these there are skins atm?
Best skiing and/or easiest climbing: Move the shift to the Armadas and get light binders for the Scotts. But then you are still spoilt for the choice.
I would lean towards Slights with light bindings. Lighter, more laps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like @danbre2022, I've been Lyngen way, 5 or so times end April and always encountered Spring snow, we did ski Narvik one day en route to Riksgransen and it was wet as well as milder than Lyngen, which I understand can be the case?

Loads of options but I'd go with what has been suggested, Slights and lighter bindings, that's if you're not going to buy your lovely lady some new skis for this special trip Laughing

My OH, similar size profile, swears by her DPS Pagoda Tours!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've spent a fair bit of time in Lofoten during late March to mid April. As others have said above, it's milder (although a lot of the time doesn't feel much like it...) and has a thinner snowpack than Lyngen or Narvik. At that time of year, the short story is it really varies. Most common conditions we've experienced are spring snow up to 700 - 1000m or so on south to west faces and still cold snow on northern sheltered faces (Trollfjord et al). The slight is a versatile ski and 83mm is perfectly adequate. Yes, the 100mm will be better in softer stuff (I ski 105mm there and most others you see are on something in the 100mm range) but I think you want something light. Yes, you're skiing low altitude (most peaks 700 - 800m and the highest is only 1100m) but the terrain is technical for touring. 1500m days feel like a lot more and you will be spending a fair bit of time with skis on pack to summit the good stuff. Shifts are probably over kill in the weight department so as Jon suggests, a lighter pin with the Armadas could be the answer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, whereabouts in Lofoten are you going? Conditions in west Lofoten are often very different to east Lofoten!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sharkymark, wherever @offpisteskiing takes us!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, ah, I see!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy