Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tunnel or Ferry Friday 29th March

Poster: A snowHead
@terrygasson, the overall time driving isn’t too much difference as the Amsterdam to Les
coches leg is a good few hours more than Calais to Les Coches. Another reason why im not so keen on the Newcastle ferry as you can’t get up and head off early, you are restricted by the arrival times, so a late arrival at Les Coches or an overnight stay enroute which we had decided on.
The other family going with us have done that route once and preferred it (prefer more driving in europe as feel still on holiday) so we decided to give it a go, but taking too long to decide on whether leaving Thursday or Friday and now the price has shot up. So we are back to tunnel, or possibly Newhaven ferry (due to it being much cheaper)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of my grumbles with the ferry was that I didn't sleep at all well - found it noisy, and extremely irritating to be woken up LONG before I needed to fall out of bed. We also struggled a bit, from Caen, with getting round Paris but I think the road arrangements might have improved since then. One memorable night I drove round the Périph (in the wrong direction having to make a split second decision and not recognising the names on the sign) towards midnight, with lots of trucks full of live geese etc. Very Parisian. Of course it's ideal for Le Mans.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also dislike the A6, though there's a big IKEA at the Paris end which was useful for filling some gaps in our flatpack furniture when we were setting up the apartment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, When we take the Caen ferry we go via Le Mans, Bourges, Moulins, Macon and Bourg en Bresse for the Northern alps - eg Les Saisies. It is only an hour longer than going via Paris and a lot less stressful. NB the A79 from Moulins to Macon is a new motorway and has a different overhead toll system.

If you look up the Brittany Ferries ship guides you can see the location of the cabins and pick one that is likely to be further from the noise of the engine vibrating. I also find their wake up call in Caen is on the early side. However at least there isn't the worry about sleeping through an alarm at home on departure day. There is also the option of coming back from St Malo which gives a full night's sleep for a similar price.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reading this thread has convinced me to take a late night eurotunnel crossing on the 27th of March rather than an early morning on the 28th.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
One of my grumbles with the ferry was that I didn't sleep at all well - found it noisy, and extremely irritating to be woken up LONG before I needed to fall out of bed. We also struggled a bit, from Caen, with getting round Paris but I think the road arrangements might have improved since then. One memorable night I drove round the Périph (in the wrong direction having to make a split second decision and not recognising the names on the sign) towards midnight, with lots of trucks full of live geese etc. Very Parisian. Of course it's ideal for Le Mans.

It is a very early arrival in Dieppe but the advantage of that is it puts you way past Paris before traffic starts to build up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Newhaven - Dieppe is worth thinking about for our journey at Christmas. We can't leave till late on Friday so it's either overnight on a ferry or overnight in a hotel near Calais if we go on Eurotunnel. Portsmouth - Caen better in some ways, as Portsmouth is so close to us, but quite a bit more expensive.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For those taking the Caen route - just be aware that parts of the Paris route (A86) has a 2m height restriction, which may be relevant if you have a SUC/4*4 and roofbox.

We found this out when towing a caravan and made rather an abrupt swerve up a slip road Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
For those taking the Caen route - just be aware that parts of the Paris route (A86) has a 2m height restriction, which may be relevant if you have a SUC/4*4 and roofbox.

We found this out when towing a caravan and made rather an abrupt swerve up a slip road Shocked

Even if you are less than 2m it is usually worth avoiding the 2m high tunnel at Versailles as the tolls are expensive for it.
Instead use the A12 and N12, not usually any slower. Going South this route is sign posted as the route to Lyon. Going North the signposting is more confusing but just stay left when you see the 2m restriction to the right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boris, luckily you gave this advice to me last season, it was much appreciated as i was travelling with a roof box, and would have to have done a swift swerve just like you!!!

am taking the route via Le Mans this season, as indicated by @snowymum, mainly just to avoid the peritherique, as it can be busy any time of the day.

But also, i like to mix it up a bit and try different routes/crossings if i can, we are overnighting in Le Mans on our return, with a plan to visit a D-Day museum on the Sunday lunchtime before our ferry crossing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I often use Newhaven to Dieppe but avoid Paris by heading east on the D925 then the A16, A29 and onto the A26. It's a very quiet pleasant drive and avoids both the Rouen LEZ and Paris.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all again, this is all great info for various options.

Looks like we have decided on tunnel. (Other family work in school so had to ge a Friday morn departure from
Scotland) Booking tunnel slot around 6pm but should be there ealier all going well, and hopefully getting on an earlier train.
Intending staying overnight in Calais area, basically as near to tunnel as we can that’s decent. Will want to get there and get out for some dinner. We are looking at Holiday Inn Calais but welcome any suggestions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I looked at the ferries today, to travel overnight on 22 December, but there were no cabins available and sitting up on the "reclining chairs" would not make for a restful night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I looked at the ferries today, to travel overnight on 22 December, but there were no cabins available and sitting up on the "reclining chairs" would not make for a restful night.

That’s a pity Pam, it does sound a good option to be considered, but agree with the recliners, no good if you are the driver unless you are someone who can fall asleep easy anywhere. I certainly can’t and even can take me ages in my own bed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gilly28, suggest looking at St Omer, just around 30 miles away on route to Alps.

Gets you away from Calais and any "behavoir" that may be around there. Nice town for a walk around, some restaurants too and likely close by accommodation in or surrounding.

I've not stayed there but a few times broken journey when passing if schedule needed, and you'll feel just a bit closer to Alps when starting out the next morning Very Happy
snow conditions
@Gilly28, Holiday Inn Coquelles is good, but beware the €30 charge if you've got a dog!
snow report
Great western Coquelle is a very handy place to stop
And there’s a steakhouse next door and you get discount off being booked into the GW
snow conditions
Quote:

no good if you are the driver unless you are someone who can fall asleep easy anywhere. I certainly can’t and even can take me ages in my own bed.

Me too! After a short night of poor sleep on a ferry, or worse, in one of those recliners, I'd feel as jaded as when I've spent the night driving - and would not be in a great state to drive the next day. Personally, I'd probably opt to drive overnight, rather than stop in Coquelles and have the whole stretch ahead of me in the morning. But when we did this many years ago, me swapping driving with my daughter's boyfriend (now my son in law, main driver on this coming trip) he found it hard. I think my metabolism is better suited to overnight driving than some - people do vary a lot. Same with overnight passages sailing (which we don't do any more). I'd prefer not to book a hotel, and just see how everyone feels, but on such a busy night that's a risk. I never used to book when I drove back and forth to the Alps, but then I never did it at busy times! I prefer to stay 100% flexible, to adapt to conditions. One night in thick fog we headed off the motorway at 6 pm, far earlier than planned, and found a hotel in Dijon. It was eerie, driving through deserted streets in thick fog, looking for a hotel.
ski holidays
@pam w, Our first time driving over we didn't book, it was Easter and we were hoping to stay around Troyes but didn’t want to restrict ourselves incase we could drive further.
Ended up driving around for at least an hour I think trying to find somewhere! Eventually found a small private hotel, GB cars in parking area, it was ideal, however we cannot recall at all the name!!
In past we usually stop at Folkstone and then get around an 8am tunnel, drive to Dijon and stay overnight.
On way back we go all the way to the tunnel, get over to Folkstone and stay in a Holiday Inn Express or similar then drive home to Scotland on the Sunday.
So this time we are going to do the drive there with just one overnight, so want to get the ferry later Friday (not too late) and hopefully be in hotel near Calais for around 8pm latest. Then we will drive the full way to Les Coches the Saturday morning.
Previous trips we just wanted to have plenty time as we were new to the drive, giving us time if there was snow and we had to use the snow snocks, and just the drive up and didnt want to arrive late in the dark. We usually stay Montchavin, we never encountered any snow and now we are comfortable with it we reckon we will be fine with just one overnight from Scotland to Les Coches.
ski holidays
@Matt1959, this HI was working out about £50 more than the one in Calais
snow report
@jafa, Thanks had a look at the GW but would need 2 rooms at £126 each (obv no family rooms left).
snow report
Quote:

would need 2 rooms at £126 each (obv no family rooms left)

Shocked Those prices are beginning to make the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry seem positively good value!! If I had a really good night's sleep I'd not begrudge the cost of a hotel but I rarely do (even though I often take my own goose down pillow, hating the plastic ones you get in hotels. I feel like the Princess and the Pea, but it's worth it!

@Gilly28, I don't envy you the drive from Scotland. When we lived in Scotland I did the north/south of UK drive quite often, and since then have done the drive to the Alps a LOT, but never had to combine the two.

My kids never wanted to do the drive to the Alps, squished three into the back of the car, but did opt several times for coach (which worked well, with two extra days skiing. When the 15 year old moaned about the prospect of the coach I told him he was welcome to use his savings to fly and join us in resort. He decided to slum it, and join us on the coach. Laughing The kids knew that the only way we could afford a ski holiday was to keep costs down, and to treat it as our main "paid for" holiday of the year. They did get it.
ski holidays
Gilly28 wrote:
@jafa, Thanks had a look at the GW but would need 2 rooms at £126 each (obv no family rooms left).

Are you sure it’s the right one

On Booking .com is £72 per night for the 29th March

Apologies te the Best Western the Sure Hotel
ski holidays
I like the Ibis Budget range.
latest report
We stayed at the B & B hotel in St Quentin and my wife said she'd divorce me if I ever took her somewhere like that again.

Ibis Styles in Bethune Bruay is good, about 1 hr from the tunnel.
snow report
@jafa, Husband did find another site and got prices you quote. Just was messaging back and forth while i was in hairdressers
ski holidays
Pot D'Etain is a nice hotel in Holnon, just outside St Quentin and a short drive from A26.
snow conditions
Quote:

We stayed at the B & B hotel in St Quentin and my wife said she'd divorce me if I ever took her somewhere like that again.

Ibis Styles in Bethune Bruay is good, about 1 hr from the tunnel.

oh. Have stayed at Ibis Styles in Bethune Bruay , was ok, yes.

We've got B & B hotel in St Quentin booked for our next outbound trip. might have a quick look for another choice...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nbt, As B & B had acquired a number of Ibis hotels I thought it would be OK, but it was pretty grim!
snow report
Right. We stayed in Premiere Classe Troyes Sud - Parc St Thibault one trip and won't be going to those again. The B&B in SQ does get good reviews but I might revisit our plans
snow conditions
We stayed in the Ibis Budget at Troyes East - personally thought if was fine, small basic rooms but clean and functional. Only there for 8-hours really, quick sleep then off

Handily placed if you have a later crossing as is about 3.5 hours from Calais
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Right. We stayed in Premiere Classe Troyes Sud - Parc St Thibault one trip and won't be going to those again. The B&B in SQ does get good reviews but I might revisit our plans

We’ve stayed at the B&B St Quentin on a number of occasions in the family rooms and it’s more than adequate for a night stopover…far from 5 star but then neither are the prices. Certainly no worse than an Ibis amd much better then. Premiere Classe.
snow conditions
Quote:

We stayed in the Ibis Budget at Troyes East - personally thought if was fine

I've stayed in several of the Ibis Budget group - I thought it was fine too, and can't think why anyone would turn their noses up at it for an overnight stop! To me it was rather grand to have my own bathroom, after many stays in Formule 1 (and being used to camp sites and marina facilities).
snow conditions
One thing to bear in mind if you have Accor membership is that Accor do not give rewards points for stays in Ibis Budget. We have only stayed in one once which was in Toulouse. It had very thin single mattresses on a wooden base, lino floors, the room smelt of smoke and there was no catering option...just a vending machine in reception. (it was below travel lodge standard)

Whereas if you go to Ibis Styles, Ibis or Novotel you would tend to have a proper mattress on the master bed, carpeted floors and a restaurant and bar (novotel) or smaller restaurant/bar in Ibis and Ibis styles. Ibis Styles can work out very good value if you can book a family room for four as it usually gives interconnecting ensuite rooms and breakfast included. Novotel has rooms for four if you have younger children and want everyone in the same room. They also have a more extensive restaurant with a good kids menu. Ibis can vary but I would put them somewhere between Ibis styles and Ibis budget....they have a comfy mattress but rooms can be fairly basic apart from that.

If breakfast isn't included in the stay we either pick up something from a supermarket the next morning when stopping for petrol or drive for two hours and pick up something at a service station.
ski holidays
Settled on the Newhaven Dieppe crossing with a cabin, hopefully get a few hours sleep. Cheapest option and means we also don’t need a hotel stopover each way.
I had no idea of the Newhaven Dieppe crossing until this thread and also threw up a couple of other options, so thanks all for the input.
latest report
Gilly28 wrote:
Settled on the Newhaven Dieppe crossing with a cabin, hopefully get a few hours sleep. Cheapest option and means we also don’t need a hotel stopover each way.
I had no idea of the Newhaven Dieppe crossing until this thread and also threw up a couple of other options, so thanks all for the input.

Had heard of it but not until this thread piqued my interest did I realise how good value it is - £300 for a family of four (with car) to get a cabin both way, that's amazing value. Deffo keeping this in mind for our Summer road trip
snow conditions
Gilly28 wrote:

Try and get to the port early so you're top of the queue for boarding. Your boarding pass works as your cabin key so best advice is to be quick off the mark and into your cabin straight away to maximise sleep time (we went to the bar - big mistake Toofy Grin ). Look for the volume control on the in-cabin speaker and turn it as low as you can - they will start calling in the morning a good 15 mins before you need to wake up.
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
@Gilly28, I know you mention the cost difference of £400 between Eurotunnel and the Newcastle ferry, is this overall for both outbound and return, but does that factor in the additional fuel cost travelling to Folkestone rather than Newcastle from scotland?

if not, would this not take a substantial chunk out of the difference by going via the ferry, without a days slog down to the tunnel and then also gaining a nights kip?

I was wondering that too! wink
latest report
Specialman wrote:
£300 for a family of four (with car) to get a cabin both way, that's amazing value.

It is subsidised by the French, so fill yer boots.
www.newhavenport.com/news-and-announcements/258-cross-channel-ferry-service-secured-for-another-5-years.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy