Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids skis for getting into the deep snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Looking for suggestions for skis that will help my 11yr old daughter get into some low angle powder next to the pistes. She is a solid skiier and can charge most pistes but until now has had carving/slalom skis that did not make for fun turns in the deeper snow and chopped up crud. She is super keen and so I am looking for something fairly forgiving, 80-90 under foot. 150-155 length (She is 150 tall).
Have been looking at shorter women's skis. Also K2 have the kids mindbender but I am reluctant to buy new.
Any suggestions?
It's snowing in the alps Very Happy
Cheers,
James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The best skiers can ride pow and chop on narrow planks.

Just takes practice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have thought this situation lends itself better to hiring.

Conditions may not be suitable, your Daughter is likely to grow out of whatever you get....so trying some alternatives that the hire shop may have, will allow your Daughter to dip her toe into Off Piste. If she loves the skis she uses, that will be a great guide for the future. If she hates it, there is no harm done and the skis can be returned.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
I would have thought this situation lends itself better to hiring.

Conditions may not be suitable, your Daughter is likely to grow out of whatever you get....so trying some alternatives that the hire shop may have, will allow your Daughter to dip her toe into Off Piste. If she loves the skis she uses, that will be a great guide for the future. If she hates it, there is no harm done and the skis can be returned.

+1

For 90% of their off piste skiing, my kids use their slalom race skis. GS skis are tough, but slalom work well for most European powder (ie knee deep, not chest deep).

If it’s properly deep, then we rent - this Easter we all used black crows camox which were perfect. For touring, we have enough spare pairs in various lengths.

I once made the mistake of buying my daughter some kids black crows Junius. Some lucky snowheader got them from me 60% cheaper, still in perfect condition…
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jamesbrocklehurst,

My kids both used Volkl Mantra Jrs as all round skis; daughter is still on them this year. They are fairly ideal as they are pretty robust (even my son couldn't break them, and he tries pretty hard! Shocked ), wide enough without being too wide to ski properly, work in pretty much any conditions, and solid/lively enough to ski like a proper ski scaled appropriately for kids.
They also had dedicated race skis for racing, but we live on a mountain with a ski hill and ski a lot so can justify that! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth wrote:
@jamesbrocklehurst,

My kids both used Volkl Mantra Jrs as all round skis; daughter is still on them this year. They are fairly ideal as they are pretty robust (even my son couldn't break them, and he tries pretty hard! Shocked ), wide enough without being too wide to ski properly, work in pretty much any conditions, and solid/lively enough to ski like a proper ski scaled appropriately for kids.
They also had dedicated race skis for racing, but we live on a mountain with a ski hill and ski a lot so can justify that! snowHead

Another vote for the Mantra jrs. We’ve had those in 118, 128 and 138. Blizzard rustler team also excellent. Kids are now both on Faction yth skis (suckers for marketing).

These look good value and full rocker (like mantra jr) will help a lot in pow. We’be got on fine with Marker free 7 bindings
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/voelkl/revolt-100-jr.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth wrote:
....but we live on a mountain with a ski hill and ski a lot so can justify that! snowHead

For me, that changes everything and justifies buying.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got my daughter these for Christmas last year which she loves. They took a day to get used to as she'd only skied on race skis before. She's on the 163s (she was 158cm when I bought them, she's 164cm now) and will get a second season out of them this year. They're very light for their size and the graphics look really good which is obviously very important Smile She's lucky enough to live on the mountain though, so I guess you have to do the math of whether it's worth investing in a pair.

https://www.tradeinn.com/snowinn/en/atomic-n-bent-chetler-mini-153-163-alpine-skis/139181100/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=17194987&country=uk&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8eqBhD3ARIsAIe-buPaIyKqJjkiKWUu4VuszgdVG6LlFrqycQkwpsDznFRY3NxZ-qj1znkaAliMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for both Volkl Mantra and Atomic Bent Chetlers - both kids have shared them over the years and they have been brilliant. Ekosport have a great deal on the 2022-23 BC with bindings delivered for £260 at the moment...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These might be an option that don't break the bank https://freeglisse.com/fr/ski-occasion-adulte-all-mountain/16579-255040-ski-occasion-black-crows-magnis-fixations.html#/9-etat_du_materiel-qualite_b/891-taille_skis-149_cm

My youngest used his & loved them, the only down side being he really didn't want to give them up as he grew out of them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy