Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ROAD TRIP

Poster: A snowHead
planned for the week after half term.. driving down to chamonix where me and a mte will be staying from weds night to tuesday.. we dont need to head back to blighty till the following weekend.. so with all our gear in the back of the wheels what recommendations do you experts have.. with driving back home i guess its better to stay in that area. the only other place in france i have been to is tignes so looking for something new.. three valleys?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CANV CANVINGTON, I hope you'll be driving a '55 Chevy. Its the only way to do a 'road trip'!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chris, that would be superb!! but i shall be exercising a well known german brand of 4 wheel drive..
i reckon the chevy is better off road mind you..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rent a copy of "Road Trip". It's a documentary that follows the trials and tribulations of a groups of gentlemen on their journey across the US. It has all sorts of "survival" advice. It's up there with anything that Ray Mears has ever produced.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take the road over the top and make your way to Verbier (I think you carry on out of the valley via Argentiere and head towards Martigny and Sion). There's plenty of challenging skiing in the 4 valleys esp off the top of Mont Fort. When heading back home you can go around the top of lake Geneva and pick up the motorway out
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its a great opportunity to explore - on the French side Portes du Soleil and Grand Massif are only 1hr or 30 mins away for more than enough skiing for the next few days, or you could come back through Switzerland and go via Villars to Verbier or to Champery on the Swiss side of the Ptes de S. A car is a disadvantage for Zermatt, you could go to Saas Fee though.

With all your gear in the back of the wheels.....be careful about security. There are many tales of cars being broken into and contents nicked in the big resorts, even nice ones like Megeve aren't immune. Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(I think you carry on out of the valley via Argentiere and head towards Martigny and Sion).

onlyif the pass is open, which hopefully, if it has dumped, it won't be! Don't forget it will still be very high season with French school hols - the week BEFORE half term would be infinitely preferable. You'd not have to wait in so many queues of various kinds. Best to avoid all the resort roads on the four Saturdays starting 10 February. If you want to try somewhere not full of Brits, look at Praz sur Arly/Notre Dame de Bellecombe, linked into the wider Espace Diamant, a bit further up the Arly Valley from Megeve (and much better unless you want to buy a lot of expensive underwear...). If that week is inescapable you'd probably be better off going into Switzerland, though the last two weeks of the holiday season will be busiest and least agreeable (Paris holidays).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, good point on the holiday front.. i would like to avoid all of them , so the last 3 weeks of feb are uk then french half terms..?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CANV CANVINGTON, Half term - BAD Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . pam w, has a good point about the pass being closed coz of snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
right ive switched it to mid jan now.. cant be doing with loads of pesky kids everywhere...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

ive switched it to mid jan

good move. But the hols don't start till the week beginning 10 February (end 10 March) so the end of Jan/early February is probably optimum for snow likely and kids unlikely. It isn't only families in the French holidays, by any means. For some reason they seem to like going on holiday all at the same time, whether they've got school age kids or not. Bizarre.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

For some reason they seem to like going on holiday all at the same time, whether they've got school age kids or not. Bizarre

Its all this Egalite stuff that deprives them of their Liberte to ski when they want, resulting in tons of Fraternite that is rather galling to the non French Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

rather galling to the non French

not galling at all when it means that the pistes in French resorts (at least if you avoid the ones swamped by British TOs) are empty outside the holiday periods.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, touche! snowHead

So which are your favourites?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes, which are your favourites..???
snow report
From Chamonix you could head across the pass into Martigny and then try Verbier or any of the resorts along the Rhone valley like Grimentz/zinal or Arolla etc. But by coming this way you would probably have to use the Swiss motorways to come home which will require an £18.00 vignette.

Or from Chamonix you could head back towards Geneva and take in the PDS resorts of Les Gets etc or Flaine. You could also hit them from the Swiss side for resorts like Morgins or Champousin. From Chamonix you could also try Courmayeur or La Thuile or even Cervinia. Not sure how these resorts convert for boarding though. The whole point of a car is that you can just rock up anywhere and stay for as long as you feel like... hotels at that time will be easy and you can cut costs by staying a bit out of town, ie Val Ferret for Courmayeur..
snow report
Try the Aosta valley in Italy. You can get to Champolouc in 1hour (from Mt Blanc tunnel). Although it is a small resort, by french standards and a bit out of the way, it is linked to Gressoney and Alagna. Not very busy and awesome offpiste. These places are very rural (esp Alagna) and perfect for a road trip. From there you can make your way back towards Mt Blanc and ski Courmayeur etc as suggested by JT. Pop back into Chamonix and take iin resorts such as Les Carroz which is 30 min away.
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, you haven't said what type of boarding/skiing you're looking for. Gnarly cliff-jumpers, wide open powderhounds, motorway cruisers, ParkLife ? Champoluc/Gressoney/Alagna is great for the off-piste, but if you're a pistemeister you'll be wondering what the fuss is all about after about 1 day max. If you want pistes, maybe Portes du Soleil (although I remember some fairly flat long paths getting around about Avoriaz which may not be to a boarder's liking). I met SZK one eve last Jan really pumped after a fantastic powder day (throught the trees) in La Clusaz, so that may be worth thinking about if that's your thing, although never been there myself.
latest report
speed (so the big long wide reds) and off piste are my thing.. jumps and the park dont intrest me.. path n flats i can handle, t bars not a prob.. buttons er no ta...tricky black stuff is not a problem but not essential
the first part of the tour in chamonix is a corporate blag and we will be going through the tunnnel into italy for at least 2 trips.. i reckon i want to stay in france to be honest.. for some reason i am fixated about doing three valleys.. its just something i have to do, so stuff around there really..
thansk to everyone so far.. snowHead
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, The drive to the 3 valleys isn't bad in good conditions... The Val d'arly might be a problem but if open the ride to Moutier should be 90 mins or so and 2 and a half hours tops to any 3 valley destination. Consider La Tania or the lower Courchevals for the ease of getting there or St Martin at the opposite VT valley. As its on the way home I'd consider Flaine/PDS or La Clusaz but would be keeping my eye on conditions before deciding. Personally I'd have a few plans/destinations for those last few days. If the snow is VG I'd stick to the Chamonix valley but the emphasis would be guided tours for me as that is the whole essence of the valley for me anyway.
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON, Crans has lots of wide open fast reds but can't comment on off-piste. I think you should give it a go. IMO Chamonix is not so open although the long red/black from the top of Grands Montets back to the car park is a blast.
snow report
Its not going to much of a 'Road Trip' if you drive to 3V or any other megaresort and stay there for the week. That's just a holiday. I would have thought that since you have wheels take the opportunity to visit smaller more out of the way resorts even if you only stay there for a night or two. See where the conditions are best and follow the snow. 'Free spirit' and all that...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy