Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Personal opinions on visors Vs prescription inserts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would like to get everyone's thoughts on eye protection for those of us who wear glasses.

For the past few years, I've been using the helmet+goggle's+glasses which does its job well without fogging up. But at the end of the day this combo really clamps down (especially just above the ears); not to mention the effort & time it take to put on/adjust.

I have never been to big of a fan of contacts so I'm considering either a new visor helmet+glasses, or prescription inserts for my still usable goggles

Anyone have any personal experience & recommendations?? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 12-11-23 9:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also don't like wearing contacts so have used goggle inserts before, worked fine, no problems but didn't stick it, just went back to large OTG goggles over specs. However I really don't like wearing goggles either unless it's essential as they feel constricting so these days tend to get close fitting wrap sunglasses with UV protection prescription lenses and wear them 95% of the time as I like some fresh air about my eyes. Not tried helmet visors, don't appeal at all. If the visibility is terrible like flat light or whiteout I just head for trees to ski in or beside, failing that bail out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have had both ‘over the glasses’ goggles and goggle inserts. I much prefer the inserts. They’re wonderful.
I’m from Australia and got mine from here. (In no way officiated).

https://goggleman.com.au/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Adrii, there is a thread running with a very similar subject lots of views on this there https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166197 . Unfortunately I cant get inserts to suit my prescription and I dont like googles at the best of times so and going with a helmet with a visor.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Goggles and inserts works well for me. I set myself up to run cold on the face (helmet vents open, no buff etc) and regularly coat the insert in any fog spray. Bit of care and it's a lot less hassle than OTG. Main thing is that you get access to the really decent low light lenses this way. Makes a huge difference.

As mentioned in the other thread on this, I went the visor route for my kid. I think that's a good way to go if you have a prescription that changes frequently.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Adrii, I've spent a fair few seasons in the mountains plus nigh on all the summers; so I'm skiing (all disciplines) every day, then cycling and hiking or just walking the dogs etc

I actually hardly ever wear goggles unless the conditions really demand it, instead, I have prescription varifocal sunglasses, as I too can't wear contacts.

If I do wear goggles & helmet then I use my Snow Vision Prescriptive Goggles and these work superbly.

As soon as I go outside and it's bright I have to wear sunglasses and such are my eyes now, that I like to see long distances clearly (identify wildlife) and be able to read my phone etc so prescriptive sunnies to me are a necessity. And obviously, when I'm cross-country skiing which I do a lot of I wouldn't be wearing a helmet and goggles.

It's only when I'm back out on the water where I don't wear them (expensive to lose) I really do suffer as I often can't recognise mates out on the water from afar as they're a bit of a blur Laughing

But the helmet visor option is good, but then do you not wear sunglasses etc when not skiing / walking etc ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, I also like to wear prescription sunnies but in cold temps my eyes water wildly while skiing. In spring I’m fine with the sunnies but in winter I need goggles.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 12-11-23 10:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have chronically dry eyes so contacts are out.

Tried glasses under normal goggles - sort of worked but would fog if you had to work (fall at tge bottom of an uphill for example) or went inside (for lunch/large, packed gondola/etc). Also any face impact was more painful as goggles would push glasses into face.

Never tried OTG goggles.

Currently using prescription inserts - work for piste skiing as inserts in the goggle ventilation zone (not closer to the face as glasses) so any fogging you might get ascending/standing around clears in 10s of setting off down the mountain. Still not perfect though as if you're active but not getting airflow they tend to fog (e.g. falling in powder off piste where there's a lot of effort to get back up but you can't just point your skis down the hill to get speed and airflow to clear them.

Considering a visitor helmet as a next step - especially as you can get pairs of glasses online for ~£30, taking away the 'What if I crash and break my £300 glasses?' concern. They seem to be a good step more expensive than non-visor ones though so might have to wait for the next big head wack fall where I think 'OK, I think my helmet's done it's job not and deserves a quiet retirement'.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
@Weathercam, I also like to wear prescription sunnies but in cold temps my eyes water wildly while skiing. In spring I’m fine with the sunnies but in winter I need goggles.

Mine are Cycling Sports Wraparound design, Bolle and Cebe so keep eyes dry at 75kph descents etc - so no problems in cold weather and skiing I don't do those speeds Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
sbooker wrote:

Mine are Cycling Sports Wraparound design, Bolle and Cebe so keep eyes dry at 75kph descents etc - so no problems in cold weather and skiing I don't do those speeds Laughing

So fine at low speeds then, what if you want to go fast? Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all for the replies.

I've decided to go for Visor Helmets as my prescription is quite strong. Now I've got to research which is best but also wont break my bank
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or just get your eyes fixed properly. Laser if you’re young, or IOLs if you're mature. Had mine done last year, it’s life changing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LES is only appropreate for some people/prescriptions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy