Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Audi Carbon Fibre Skis - Value?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just been given these skis for free but honestly don’t know if I should sell them and get something basic or keep them.

https://www.dezeen.com/2011/01/29/audi-carbon-ski-by-audi-concept-design-munich/amp/

Hoping someone can advise on how much these things are worth and if they are any good!

Thanks in advance. Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never seen them or been on them, but I would 100% keep them and at least try them. They sound exiting from the description.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@06dsanderson, nothing that old ski wise is worth much but they're probably pretty nice to ski on ...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies both, will give them a go, seems the sensible option!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I understand they make you ski really close to the person in front.............then they force past at the worst possible moment and cut them up. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@king key, wow that’s original
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry to have offended you. Perhaps you could add me to your blocked user list?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 11-11-23 15:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@king key, I drive an Audi and sensibly. And no I’m not offended just don’t appreciate the inane comment. Don’t flatter yourself regards blocked list I’m not at all interested in your other comments, just find the Audi non-joke irritating.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 11-11-23 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skis look interesting.

- Carbon ski design that combines technology from the motorsports and winter sports industries
- Wooden core plus layers of aluminium and titanium, all covered in a carbon case
- Weighs just 960 grams, 200 grams less than comparable models
- Collaboration with sportswear brand Head and the German Ski Association
- Ski length of 170 cm
- Developed 08/09 and launched 11/12
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
960g is bollux - they were more like 1600g. And typical Head bull saying they have a titanium layer when it's actually titanal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pair of boneshakers well over a decade-old.

Worth about a Euro.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If nothing else they would look good on the ceiling of the garage.
What's that gizmo in the binding where your foot goes?

I like the look of them.

I always thought that titanal was what the americans called titanium... I learn something every day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:
If nothing else they would look good on the ceiling of the garage.
What's that gizmo in the binding where your foot goes?

I like the look of them.

I always thought that titanal was what the americans called titanium... I learn something every day.

A marketing amalgum of "Titan" & "Aluminium" to make it sound like Titanium to the cursory glance Very Happy

Broadly a high strength aluminium alloy with elements such as copper, manganese etc figuring in it's makeup to give a very durable and high strength alloy, extraordinarily good, but not Titanium.

It's almost a ttavesty to try and mask it's real properties by using marketing bollux as John noted.

The material can stand proudly upon it's own merit, usually called "Duralamin" in general engineering parlance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, Thanks for that ...
I've heard of Duralamin from when I was a schoolboy, wanting to make my BSA Bantam go faster.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not Duralumin? Isn’t that what they made zeppelins frames from?
snow conditions
ster wrote:
Not Duralumin? Isn’t that what they made zeppelins frames from?

Likely, from Brittanica resource "duralumin, strong, hard, lightweight alloy of aluminum, widely used in aircraft construction, discovered in 1906 and patented in 1909 by Alfred Wilm, a German metallurgist; it was originally made only at the company Dürener Metallwerke at Düren, Germany."
latest report
DrLawn wrote:

I thought exactly the same until a thread on here a few years ago snowHead
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Pair of boneshakers well over a decade-old.

Worth about a Euro.

https://www.designboom.com/design/audi-carbon-ski-update/

Just about 15 years out of date concept ...... Aluminium shock absorber idea nicked from Marker Race bindings (Allegedly M'Lud) .... Monocoque idea nicked from Salomon 9000 Equipes (again Allegedly M'Lud)

Interestingly no dimensions, no rocker/camber details nor flex profiling. Looks like a pretty sports car, best kept in concourse condition, as a museum piece. Toofy Grin
latest report
under a new name wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

I thought exactly the same until a thread on here a few years ago snowHead

Interesting thread here http://skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4365 in reality (sweeping statement warning) most alloy of this type effectively derivatives of original "Dura" in broad terms.
Virtually all materials like this also likely from aero / aerospace research as it's so far in depth that it can afford that thorough research and development needed, such that "discovery" of a new material is highly unlikely outside that relm.
That weight versus performance, of course, being absolute core of flying things that are heavier than air.

Ti or Tit...... Very Happy etc does have a cache from marketing perspective though, almost solely starting up a "Titanium" response curve in buyer, even in those with no knowledge of metallurgy. Has become defacto reference for special in product placement, from a marketing perspective. Quite clever from that aspect in it's use, but ultimately false.
latest report
Titanium is so last century. Carbon is the new rage now.

Sorry for doing a White gold
snow conditions
abc wrote:

Very Happy actually....

Carbon fibre, originating (or recognised as such) with Thomas Eddison for light bulb filament, from burnt cotton strand.

Then development of structural, contained within resins to make "carbon fibre" as we reference here, in the 1950s.

Concorde brakes of such materials and development in early sixties as notable application that is often now seen as very cutting edge, contemporary today.

So last century, and the one before that Very Happy Very Happy

Obviously marketing pick what it thinks is the embodiment of a advanced and technical "magic" ingredient to pull in the cash....thought Graphene was the latest supermodel, angel haired material that is considered such.
snow conditions
I have a Titanal board and the key feature is vibration absorption. That's achieved by a metal and rubber sandwich: a system not a single material. I'm thinking that the characteristics of the metal are probably not that critical; it just has to be flexible enough to dump energy into the rubber. Titanium could be stiffer than Titanal depending on how it's alloyed - you're not going to use it any other way - but that's possibly not what you want for "damping" anyway.

I think other constructions have improved significantly recently. When I first switched to metal the difference [from glass] was massive, when I switched recently from metal to carbon/ glass, I didn't really notice. There was a time when no snowboard race was won on anything other than Titanal, but Benjamin Karl won on a composite... times are changing.
latest report
What a day they must have been in the marketing office, to have tit and anal in the same word and marketed with a straight face.
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
abc wrote:

Very Happy actually....

Carbon fibre, originating (or recognised as such) with Thomas Eddison for light bulb filament, from burnt cotton strand.

Then development of structural, contained within resins to make "carbon fibre" as we reference here, in the 1950s.

Concorde brakes of such materials and development in early sixties as notable application that is often now seen as very cutting edge, contemporary today.

So last century, and the one before that Very Happy Very Happy

Obviously marketing pick what it thinks is the embodiment of a advanced and technical "magic" ingredient to pull in the cash....thought Graphene was the latest supermodel, angel haired material that is considered such.

“Carbon”, as an element, had existed longer than human kind.

Needless to say, human usage of “carbon” has also predated metal.

But carbon composite as a construction material, surpass titanium. That’s a far cry from the “last century and the one before that”.

That’s not to say carbon in skis is any guarantee of good performance. Still, the infinitely flexible manufacturing and wide spread application of composite material is definitely a marvel of “this century”! Cheap too.
latest report
@abc, Well the tone of the thread had evolved into the falsehood or joking about ski industry use of headline singing materials to create an illusion or halo product.

Note I did write "fibre" in those sentence along with other qualifying parts of description to differentiate from pure carbon.

As for timing, and working within a lead establishment (not at that time) of commercial development of carbon composite application, mid sixties progression toward 1967 launch date, say its factually of near mid last century in the form we now recognise for general products.

Also located there, a wide gamut of metallurgy driven research.

Titanal is still amusing in it's ultimately false moniker to drag more cash from a consumer though.
latest report
@ski3, I get the joking against “carbon” anything.

And to be fair, carbon composite had been used in the aerospace industry before 2000. However, ti had given carbon a run for the money for quite some years. In the end, carbon composite won the money race thanks to the ease of manufacturing, if not for flexibility and durability.

The proliferation of “carbon something” is definitely more this century. Carbon kicked Ti to the side on weight sensitive applications. Once that’s accomplished, there’s no longer any “prestige” in carbon inclusion in most products any more. Just a nod to it being the “clever application of appropriate material”, as a footnote in marketing.
snow report
"Titanal" is a brand name for a kind of duraluminum owned and produced by Austria Metall AG. Has a nice ring to it, hasn't it?

As for the Audi ski, looks nice, is most likely built to the highest standard with the best materials available. So, given sidecut and length are suitable, I'd ski it. There hasn't been much (if any?) development in piste skis these last fifteen years anyway. So why not?
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@king key, I drive an Audi and sensibly. And no I’m not offended just don’t appreciate the inane comment. Don’t flatter yourself regards blocked list I’m not at all interested in your other comments, just find the Audi non-joke irritating.

Laughing couldn't have put it better myself..... what a clown
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
king key wrote:
I understand they make you ski really close to the person in front.............then they force past at the worst possible moment and cut them up. Twisted Evil

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ajc2260626 wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

'Kin 'ell someone's hit a nerve
snow report
All the Audi drivers are a bit tetchy at the moment since one of their spirit animals described the entire Audi range and almost all their back catalogue as less interesting versions of better cars. Whether this translates to the skis is anyone's guess.

Titanal is an aluminium alloy, genuinely that not dissimilar to the alloy used in Coke cans.
snow report
ajc2260626 wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

Schesh!, sorry to have ruined all your lives.
ski holidays
@king key, those Audi skiers/drivers, no sense of humour!
latest report
ster wrote:
@king key, those Audi skiers/drivers, no sense of humour!
Indeed, although they'll need it when the main stealer gives them the repair bills. Laughing

I feel one of them is going to start crying again.
snow conditions
Audi drivers are ladies' front bottoms. Especially those in A3's or Q5's.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy