Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it possible to ski from Les Menuires to Courchevel and back in a day?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible and realistic for a family with 4 weeks of skiing experience to ski from Les Menuires (Reberty) to Courchevel 1850 and back in a day on blue and easy red slopes? If so, how long approximately would it take each way, and is there a particular route that is recommended?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s certainly possible (and hopefully very enjoyable!)
How long and/or best route would be influenced by the time of year and time of day.
Without the above info I’d allow 2hrs each way Eh oh!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends lift queues, but there and back in a day is fairly straightforward.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolutely! There are a number of routes, but here’s a suggestion for the most obvious.
In terms of your starting point, that somewhat depends on which side of Reberty you’re staying in. I’d suggest the following:

Head to the top of Mont de La Chambre which involves either -taking the Bruyères bubble to the very top or the Menuires then Mont de La Chambre chair. Then take the red run Venturons (invariably lovely first thing in the morning ) ski all the way down past the Cote Brun chair, then follow blue Bouvreil to the Plan des Mains chair. Take Plan des Mains, and at the top take the blue route all the way to Mottaret. Just as you get to the bottom jump the Pas du Lac Bubble all the way to the top of Saulire, then head for the blue run Creux (there is an easy way down to avoid the steep bit to the top of Creux, hard to describe in writing). Half way down Creux there is a left hand turn- follow that and keep going towards 1850. Though FWIW, it’s great to head to the very bottom of Creux and take the Aiguille de Fruit lift on you left, turn right at the top and once again follow signs for 1850…you can’t really go wrong from there. If you are more confident, from the top of Saulire you could try the Combe du Saulire which is great and opens up into some of the best wide open cruisey skiing above Courchevel 1850, but the steep bit at the very top might be a bit intimidating for some and it can get busy with wobbly skiers trying to get down that first pitch.

Coming back, take the bubbles Verdons then Vizelle from 1850 back to Saulire. I’d counsel against skiing the red run Aigle back down into Mottaret - it can be hard work, so be sure to follow the signs to Meribel (a hard right turn and traverse once you drop back over the first pitch on the Meribel valley side), then take your pick of the blue routes to the bottom.
Note that if you find the conditions heavy going or icy, or just too busy (the former tends to be an issue skiing into Meribel as the spring warms up), there’s no shame in downloading from mid mountain and jumping on the Saulire express bubble from mid station to the bottom. Skiing into Meribel at the end of day is not always easy.
At Meribel, I’d suggest the Legends Chair, then turn left at top, head to Tougnette 2 chair. At top, head left to Granges chair and from top of Granges takes Allemands (red) all the way back to Reberty, or if the legs are tired, ski past the Granges chair and trundle back to Menuires on the long gentle Gros Tougne blue ( you will need to get a lift back up to Reberty once you’re back in Menuires).

No doubt the route suggestions will be along soon!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Motherofthree,

As other write it is possible, but why the stress when there is so much skiing possible closer?

I would wait until you are comfortable on all red with nice speed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I assume nobody will be having ski lessons? It can be very satisfying to do a "trip" but equally, @Hyst has a point. Decision obviously best left till the day - so my suggestion would be not to set your heart on it and risk feeling that you'd "failed" if it doesn't happen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely yes, in fact last time we were in Les Menuires we went with another family who had exactly that amount of skiing experience. It was all fairly leisurely and we may even have done it all on blue runs.

The only incident I remember was having to back two families rapidly out of a Courcheval restaurant when we realised what its lunch prices were!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Motherofthree, how old are the kids? I'd say the youngest would need to be around 9-10 for it to be realistic stamina wise with only 4 weeks experience on snow. It would definitely be a big ski day at your level so I guess something to do later in the week when you're feeling acclimatised and confident.

But certainly possible and the positive is that the ski to Courchevel is longer in time and distance and tougher skiing than the return journey so you can get all the hard work out of the way in the morning when you're fresh. There are so many routes based on different lifts out of Reberty but your goal is always Pas du Lac lift in Mottaret. Whichever route you take, they're all easier to ski in the morning than the afternoon, too. The most obvious lift choice is Bruyeres all the way to the top but depending how high up in Reberty you are you could also take the Sunny > Roc 2 or Roc 1 > Roc 2 or Doron/Menuires > Mont de la Chambre.

@Perty, has recommended the Venturon red route, I'm not saying no but you might find that a bit intimidating if it's the first real run of the day. You could test it out earlier in the week and just get straight back on the Cote Brune lift to see what you think. The "standard" way to go would be the Lac de la Chambre blue off Mont de la Chambre/Bruyeres, it has a steepish, often bumpy first 200m but you can bypass that on a blue path, entry high right. The end section has a long flat/uphill section that you'll likely be poling on. You can avoid it by staying high left on the path towards the end which will take you to the same blue as you'd be on after Venturon.

The shortest route skiing wise is to take Roc 2 and then the Mouflon red to Sitelle blue into Mottaret. I'd be inclined to recommend this as it's got the shortest pitch of genuine red gradient, about 200m. The rest of it is flat and the end section can be avoided by a blue path if you don't fancy it.

My ultimate advice would be to download the 3V app and take whichever route is pisted! The app marks pisted runs. I think Lac de la Chambre and Venturon get pisted almost daily, I'm not sure about Mouflon so it's important to check.

Coming back, I totally agree with Perty's Meribel lifts recommendation. Legends > Tougnete 2 > Granges is by far the easiest route and almost all lifts, no skiing. Great for getting some energy back. An alternative and easier way to get to Meribel would be to go via La Tania. You could book lunch at the always recommended Bouc Blanc restaurant and get straight on Dou des Lanches lift afterwards. From Dou des Lanches, take the Boulevard de la Loze into Meribel and then down to Legends. Don't take Pic Bleu off the top of Dou des Lanches, that is a tough blue for most people.

For your last pitch home off Granges, Allamands as recommended is great and a favourite run of mine but I would make sure you ski it earlier in the week so you know what to expect and if you can handle it. It's likely to be pretty lumpy at the end of the day. There is another, shorter alternative to Grand Lac/Gros Tougne though if you're tired. Take the first, easy pitch of Allamands and after about 200m there is a blue path that crosses the slope L >R. Take that path to your right and then left at the next junction. That will put you on 3 Marches blue back to the bottom of Roc 2 chair and the Violette green all the way back to LM Croisette and the Menuires lift home. If you think there's any danger of missing the last lift in the Croisette, you could also pole across from the bottom of Roc 2 past the top of Roc 1 and then you have a direct blue route back to Reberty.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you cross back from Courchevel to Meribel via Saulire, do make sure you're paying attention to the signs and know exactly where you're going. I can never figure out where we go wrong but there have been three separate holidays where we've ended up on one of those long, steepish, unrelenting reds down to Mottaret, whereas threads like this imply there are blues hiding somewhere. I've never found them, and there don't seem to be any showing on the map.

Anyway, maybe it's just me but I've never really enjoyed the reds from Saulire to Mottaret, and when the surface is hard there have been times where I'd really needed to work up my confidence to put turns in. I suspect this says more about my terrible technique though! And we always stay in Courchevel so we're experiencing these runs at the start of the day rather than the end... but it's the Saulire-Mottaret runs that are probably my least favourite part when going from one side of the Three Valleys to the other.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gendal, just about everyone would agree with you that the reds down to Mottaret, particularly Aigle after the Pas du Lac mid-station, are unpleasant so you don't need to feel guilty about that. I know multiple season seasonaires who'd rather download on Pas du Lac than ski Aigle!

However, there are two blue routes into Meribel (not Mottaret) from the top of C1850. The first is the top of Biche which Perty described above. Saulire is shut so you'll be on the blue path from the top of Vizelle/Suisses/Marmottes. At the end of the path there is a massive rock sticking out in the middle of the piste to your right. You need to turn and stay high right straight after the rock. There is a wideish blue path with a big "Meribel" banner hanging across it and that is the start of Biche. It most definitely is marked on the piste map - there is a three way junction shown to the right of the top of Pas du Lac which is the reds Niverolle and Marcassin (into Mottaret), and Biche into Meribel.

Even if you miss Biche, you can still avoid Aigle because there is another blue path on your right directly above the Pas du Lac mid-station. That will take you to the vicinity of the Saulire Express mid station out of Meribel and you can choose your route from there. It is then possible to ski into Mottaret on blues and greens via Legends or Tougnete 1.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Je suis un Skieur Thanks - reassuring to know it's not just me!

Now you describe that rock I know exactly where you mean. I think I must have somehow assumed the tight right path was a route back to Courchevel. Oh well... I now know!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Absolutely yes, we regularly ski from VT to Courchevel, down to La Tania for a lunch, with coffee/hot chocolate breaks here and there and have plenty of time to ski in Meribel and Courchevel. It's absolutely the best way for us to spen a day in 3v.

And it's a lot longer route - on the way back we ski via Les Menuires - Mont de la Chambre - VT.

A confident (upper-ish) intermediate skier will have no trouble doing it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gendal wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur I think I must have somehow assumed the tight right path was a route back to Courchevel. Oh well... I now know!

TBF, it didn't always have a big banner across it so you wouldn't be the only one to make that assumption. No doubt that's why the banner was added! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of the great features of Snowheads is that there's always someone who knows the runs really well and is willing to share their knowledge. snowHead
latest report
I admire your determination to head over to Courchevel ... it is certainly very doable as others have pointed out.

I would, however, recommend taking advantage of the area's bigger playground for early intermediates in Val Thorens at the start of your stay. There are some stunning blues and reds up there - Boismint, Genepi, Moraine, Plan de l'Eau and Tete Ronde to name but a few.

I am a big fan of the runs fanning out of Saulire BUT I am going to recommend a different option for you ...

I would use the network of Les Menuires lifts to head up to the top of Mont de la Challe. I would then take Grand Lac and Pelozet down to the St Martin Express chair (personally I would head all the way down to lovely St Martin on Biolley or Loy for a coffee / hot chocolate stop before heading up). At the Tougnette ridge head left and then join the blue Faon, this turns into the blue Lievre (it's a stunning descent) which takes you down to the centre of Meribel. Take Saulire Express 1 - get out at the mid-station and drop down to the Altiport area of Meribel. The Loze quad will take you all the way up the Col de la Loze (if you are a cycling fan you will recognise the name). From there, it's a straightforward ski down to 1850.

Heading back : Plantrey chair, then head to the Bouc Blanc for lunch via the Arolles blue or the short Bouc Blanc red. A blast on the Folyeres blue down to La Tania is a must. Then up the Lanches chair and ski the Boulevard down the mid-station of the Saulire Express 1. I would definitely download from here to the Chaudanne (the Meribel home runs will be busy and cut-up by now - don't be a hero, it's not a pleasant experience for even seasoned skiers). @Perty's recommendation to use the excellent Legends lift to get out of Meribel is great.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@gendal, just about everyone would agree with you that the reds down to Mottaret, particularly Aigle after the Pas du Lac mid-station, are unpleasant so you don't need to feel guilty about that. I know multiple season seasonaires who'd rather download on Pas du Lac than ski Aigle!

However, there are two blue routes into Meribel (not Mottaret) from the top of C1850. The first is the top of Biche which Perty described above. Saulire is shut so you'll be on the blue path from the top of Vizelle/Suisses/Marmottes. At the end of the path there is a massive rock sticking out in the middle of the piste to your right. You need to turn and stay high right straight after the rock. There is a wideish blue path with a big "Meribel" banner hanging across it and that is the start of Biche. It most definitely is marked on the piste map - there is a three way junction shown to the right of the top of Pas du Lac which is the reds Niverolle and Marcassin (into Mottaret), and Biche into Meribel.

Even if you miss Biche, you can still avoid Aigle because there is another blue path on your right directly above the Pas du Lac mid-station. That will take you to the vicinity of the Saulire Express mid station out of Meribel and you can choose your route from there. It is then possible to ski into Mottaret on blues and greens via Legends or Tougnete 1.

I have been snowboarding in the 3Vs for the last 25 years and I have to say that there are MUCH nicer places to be in the 3Vs than the last pitch of Marcassin above the Pas du Lac mid-station and the whole of Aigle in the afternoon ...
ski holidays
franga wrote:
I would use the network of Les Menuires lifts to head up to the top of Mont de la Challe. I would then take Grand Lac and Pelozet down to the St Martin Express chair (personally I would head all the way down to lovely St Martin on Biolley or Loy for a coffee / hot chocolate stop before heading up). At the Tougnette ridge head left and then join the blue Faon, this turns into the blue Lievre (it's a stunning descent) which takes you down to the centre of Meribel. Take Saulire Express 1 - get out at the mid-station and drop down to the Altiport area of Meribel. The Loze quad will take you all the way up the Col de la Loze (if you are a cycling fan you will recognise the name). From there, it's a straightforward ski down to 1850.

I would heartily endorse this route if the OP's family were more experienced. It's often my preferred route back to La Tania (though I usually carry on further along the ridge to Choucas rather than Faon but small difference). But I deliberately didn't mention it because the last 300m of Grand Lac is uphill/flat and Pelozet is very long and very flat. You need the skills to just stand on your ski and let it glide, carrying your initial speed, all the way. It's highly unlikely that 4 week skiers can do that and they'll just be exhausted and fed up from poling by the time they get to the St Martin Express.

I remember very well being taken that way when I had a similar level of experience to the OP about 100 ski weeks ago and I was sweating buckets and cursing our group leader long before the end!
ski holidays
By the same token, don't take the blue Ours run into Mottaret instead of the Plan des Mains chair. That's even worse than Pelozet and you will hate yourself Laughing
snow report
Ignore the weak and timid.

Go have an adventure.

Make some memories.

Pick a sunny day.

Depart at first lift.

Return at last-but-one lift.

Stop along the way for an Alpine snack.

Take some photos and videos.

Take plenty cash, plastic, fully-charged phones.

Have fun.

Millions of everyday skiers have tracked the same route.

Enjoy the adventure.
snow conditions
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
franga wrote:

I would heartily endorse this route if the OP's family were more experienced. It's often my preferred route back to La Tania (though I usually carry on further along the ridge to Choucas rather than Faon but small difference). But I deliberately didn't mention it because the last 300m of Grand Lac is uphill/flat and Pelozet is very long and very flat. You need the skills to just stand on your ski and let it glide, carrying your initial speed, all the way. It's highly unlikely that 4 week skiers can do that and they'll just be exhausted and fed up from poling by the time they get to the St Martin Express.

I remember very well being taken that way when I had a similar level of experience to the OP about 100 ski weeks ago and I was sweating buckets and cursing our group leader long before the end!

Fair enough, good point.
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
By the same token, don't take the blue Ours run into Mottaret instead of the Plan des Mains chair. That's even worse than Pelozet and you will hate yourself Laughing

Not just yourself, you will also hate your skis, the lift company as well as each other and will discover swear words you never thought you had in your arsenal.
latest report
@franga, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Thank you all for your replies! To clarify, we will stay in a chalet on the Boyes blue slope in Reberty during the Christmas week, 23-30 December 2023. Our youngest child is 8, so I realise stamina might be an issue for all of us. We haven't decided yet whether to give this seemingly long ski over to Courchevel a go, or whether to just stay around Les Menuires/Val Thorens/Méribel. I think it depends on the weather and whether we feel like it. My main worry would be to get stuck somewhere half-way back to Les Menuires and miss the last lift back! Not sure if there is a bus back to Les Menuires from Méribel or Courchevel? Anyway it's interesting to hear that it would be possible to do it in a day. We are considering booking one private ski lesson for half a day or so, but haven't decided yet.

@Perty, Thanks for taking the time to answer. This route sounds great, I think the tricky part will just be to be able to find these lifts and runs if we decide to make the trek over to the other side of the 3V!

@Je suis un Skieur, Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I will make a note of these runs and lifts.

@gendal, This is my thinking too, that the tricky bit will be to make sure we are going on the recommended slopes and lift and not get lost, which I think could happen very easily!

@franga, Yes, we will definitely explore the Menuires and VT area too, really looking forward to that! Thanks for the tips about good runs and lifts. We might like it so much there that we won't feel like venturing over to Courchevel at all!

@Whitegold, What a lovely "poem", sounds great Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy