Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-Action to Loss of Nature

Poster: A snowHead
I was fortunate enough to meet and ski with with Re-Action founder Gavin Fernie-Jones in January. He recently sold his interest in his Meribel boot fitting shop to focus on Re-Action and One Tree at a Time.

His response to seeing biodiversity loss and other effects from the Couchevel Jet Lifestyle is discussed in
https://illuminem.com/illuminemvoices/an-interview-with-gavin-ferniejones-see-the-loss-for-yourselves

“I spend a lot of time outdoors in the mountains, and there’s a loss of nature. It’s drier. There are fewer birds and insects. The trees are dying. Fire is a huge concern.”

“I feel inherently that a lot of what I’m doing now has to do with loss..."
“I almost lost what it means to be human, living in Courchevel..."

Re-Action's Focus
"keeping outdoor clothing and equipment out of landfill through repair."
"The community spirit is also part of its appeal: 'It’s such a great space, it’s creative, and I’ve made so many friends hanging out in there. Creation and craft bring people together. You can sit around a table with someone who holds opposing views and end up understanding each other’s differing viewpoints. That’s important.' ”

"What are now world-famous ski resorts were once populated with tough farming families, cut off for the long winter months and scraping a living for themselves, stitching their clothes, patching their houses, and fixing their tools.

Mining came and went, and then tourism arrived and stayed. Whether that will be lost too depends directly upon the carbon emissions which are leading to annually reducing snowfalls throughout the European Alps.

For now, ski resorts continue to attract skiers who tend to fall into two categories – those who want to explore the mountains and temporarily become a part of the mountain’s heart, and those who flit from one luxury lifestyle to another, embracing all the shiny, mass-produced outfit opportunities that accompany the hashtags."
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funny how so many folks only complain after they make some cash wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gavin Fernie-Jones wrote:

For now, ski resorts continue to attract skiers who tend to fall into two categories – those who want to explore the mountains and temporarily become a part of the mountain’s heart, and those who flit from one luxury lifestyle to another, embracing all the shiny, mass-produced outfit opportunities that accompany the hashtags."

And which, may I ask, are you?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiing is one of the most unfriendly sports you can do to the envirement, most of us fly to get there, if there not enough snow we burn up energy using snow making machines, thousands of trees get cut down to create ski runs and ski lifts, imagine how wild the alps would look with no ski resorts to spoil the views.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

For now, ski resorts continue to attract skiers who tend to fall into two categories – those who want to explore the mountains and temporarily become a part of the mountain’s heart, and those who flit from one luxury lifestyle to another, embracing all the shiny, mass-produced outfit opportunities that accompany the hashtags.

I'd argue that very few people visiting ski resorts fit into either of those categories. The skier tourer shunning lifts and the oligarch spending all their time shopping are the extremes. The average person is probably flying out for the week, has bought a new piece of equipment for the trip, enjoys a decent amount of skiing but equally likes some nice food and drink, probably a night out.

Quote:

I almost lost what it means to be human, living in Courchevel, in that luxury environment, surrounded by wealth, in the Alton Towers of skiing. A lot of people don’t really go there to ‘be outdoors’ in nature. It’s all for show. We had a nice community there, but that was lost too – we all had to move out because it was so expensive

Is his issue actually the environment? It seems like he's just bitter that lots of people visiting the resort don't want to spend their holidays in what he deems the correct way.

He slags off courcheval, which too be fair is probably one of the luxury environments he doesn't like. But then continues to choose to live there?! If you want a proper community hill that doesn't attract rich tourists there are options (Red mountain, shames etc.).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
"I was fortunate enough to meet and ski with with Re-Action founder Gavin Fernie-Jones in January."

I'd say that was pretty unfortunate by the sound of it
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:
The skier tourer shunning lifts

most of the ski tourers I know are happy to drive hundreds of km in not particularly eco cars to ski a few cm of manky snow - they are like nature's drug addicts not virtuous eco warriors. They also seem to consume huge amounts of gear to go along with their hobby.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Quote:
"I was fortunate enough to meet and ski with with Re-Action founder Gavin Fernie-Jones in January."

You're late...see post #2...... Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Let’s be honest, we know the building of ski resorts/lift systems, running the lifts and our journeys there unless by train help screw the planet. Both the CO2 and damage to fragile alpine ecosystems. In denial, then think of what a stunning valley would look like without a huge ski resort and lift system, how nature would only have to coexist with mountain farmers during spring/summer.

But I’m a hypocrite and selfish, aren’t we all? I’ve a lifelong love of snow coming from snow-starved southern England and a passion for skiing from watching on TV the 1976 Innsbruck Olympics as a primary school kid. Our ski trips are my favourite hobby. I fly, even worse we’ve driven to the Alps. What can you say, it’s a selfish balance of trying to do so much for the planet, yet not being able to give up ski trips.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

greenwashing so they can feel better about themselves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's an interesting article when you get into it. It's a shame that it's wrapped in this cloak of virtuism.

I've never particularly drawn to clothes fashion or having all the latest gear but recently I have become conscious of buying new stuff because I've had the old stuff a while or getting something new because the old needs a little repair. And I have started not doing it (buying new) but making do (negative connotations but it's really not) with what I have, repairing if necessary.

As an aside there are things ski resorts can and many have done to limit their impact. I think people are too easily sceptical on this front. Or maybe I am just trying to justify my damaging hobby. Everybody has to decide for themselves.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gavin participated in an online Invest in Earth Day event I helped organize. Please watch this recording to understand why I like Gavin so much- http://youtube.com/v/R5Y90AxXLhk

Whitegold wrote:

Are you referring to Gavin, the author of the article, or me? The article quotes Gavin, but many of the things I quoted in the OP were written by the interviewer/article author, NOT Gavin.

Gavin is taking action and does very little complaining when you talk to him. I haven't seen his portfolio (he may not actually have one), but he is not monetarily wealthy by skier standards from what I can tell. He lives down Valley, not in the ritzy part of Courchevel.

boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

For now, ski resorts continue to attract skiers who tend to fall into two categories – those who want to explore the mountains and temporarily become a part of the mountain’s heart, and those who flit from one luxury lifestyle to another, embracing all the shiny, mass-produced outfit opportunities that accompany the hashtags.

I'd argue that very few people visiting ski resorts fit into either of those categories. The skier tourer shunning lifts and the oligarch spending all their time shopping are the extremes. The average person is probably flying out for the week, has bought a new piece of equipment for the trip, enjoys a decent amount of skiing but equally likes some nice food and drink, probably a night out.

Quote:

I almost lost what it means to be human, living in Courchevel, in that luxury environment, surrounded by wealth, in the Alton Towers of skiing. A lot of people don’t really go there to ‘be outdoors’ in nature. It’s all for show. We had a nice community there, but that was lost too – we all had to move out because it was so expensive

Is his issue actually the environment? It seems like he's just bitter that lots of people visiting the resort don't want to spend their holidays in what he deems the correct way.

He slags off courcheval, which too be fair is probably one of the luxury environments he doesn't like. But then continues to choose to live there?! If you want a proper community hill that doesn't attract rich tourists there are options (Red mountain, shames etc.).

I'm not sure the first category of tourist is only restricted to those not using the chairlifts. Much of what was quoted came from the author, not Gavin.

Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Quote:

He's a great guy who is ACTIVELY building community and keeping old gear out of landfills and the ocean. He's also a really good self-taught skier. He participated in an online Invest in Earth Day event I helped organize. Please watch this recording to get a much better sense of why I like Gavin so much-
http://youtube.com/v/R5Y90AxXLhk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gored wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

greenwashing so they can feel better about themselves.

I'd rather see "greenwashing" that includes POSITIVE ACTION, than denial, business as usual, or wealthy people who recognize the problem but don't invest any of their time or money into making a difference. Please watch
http://youtube.com/v/R5Y90AxXLhk as it shows the real action Gavin is taking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"What are now world-famous ski resorts were once populated with tough farming families, cut off for the long winter months and scraping a living for themselves, stitching their clothes, patching their houses, and fixing their tools."

Those "tough farming families," for the most part, were very happy to not have to scrape together a living all winter long wearing patched clothes etc.

That aside, I can't complain when someone does take a positive action to slow the rate of climate change etc. So kudos to him.

I do think there are more things that ski stations and ski companies can do to minimize their impact. But in the medium-term, ie. the next 50 years I'm afraid our sport is largely doomed, at least in the European ranges.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pasigal wrote:
"What are now world-famous ski resorts were once populated with tough farming families, cut off for the long winter months and scraping a living for themselves, stitching their clothes, patching their houses, and fixing their tools."

Those "tough farming families," for the most part, were very happy to not have to scrape together a living all winter long wearing patched clothes etc.

That aside, I can't complain when someone does take a positive action to slow the rate of climate change etc. So kudos to him.

I do think there are more things that ski stations and ski companies can do to minimize their impact. But in the medium-term, ie. the next 50 years I'm afraid our sport is largely doomed, at least in the European ranges.

I think you are correct on all accounts-
*Most people, given the chance, will opt for convenience and luxury (and the lowest price relative to perceived value).
*Kudos to Gavin and the millions of other people who are taking positive action.
*There is more skiers and the ski industry can do.

If skiers and the ski industry don't take meaningful action to mitigate biodiversity loss and climate change, why should anyone else?

IMO, we need to incorporate negative "externalities" into the price of all goods and services. (Aka, Pollutor Pays) Ideally, this would be done globally, but can start at the local level. As it stands, when someone flies to a ski resort or purchases food that has been shipped there, there are many external costs society pays instead of the skier.
snow report
@MEfree30, it definately sounds like you have given up skiing for the benefit of all.

You have given up I assume?
ski holidays
Where did you and Gavin ski together and how did you both get there ?
Andy
snow conditions
Pasigal wrote:

Exactly, one of the most famous being St Anton MooserWirt owner Eugen Scalet who sold his cows and converted the shed into one of the most popular apres-ski venues in Europe. I bet you don't hear him complaining about the skiers.
latest report
On the promontory at Lake Como, sod the planet developers plan to recreate the ski resort of Monte San Primo with artificial snow. Wisely abandoned decades ago, it sits at just 1,100m, suffering the aridity and mild winter temperatures of the Po Valley. Widely opposed.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/lake-como-abandoned-ski-resort-italy-reintroduce-snow/

With European alpine temperatures rising apace, this seems ludicrous.
snow conditions
Restless native wrote:
Where did you and Gavin ski together and how did you both get there ?
Andy

I'm quite conscious of the travel I do, try to minimize it, but am not perfect.

I moved to Frisco, CO in 2008, in large part to reduce the distance I was from the slopes. 95% of my skiing since then has been in my county (Summit) and the neighboring county (Eagle). To some of the resorts like Copper & Breck I take the Summit Stage bus. To the Eagle resorts I drive my Tesla model 3.

Last season, my wife's sister was undergoing cancer treatment in France (where she lives and my wife was born). She was there Nov-March and I joined her Jan-Feb. I looked into train travel for our week in Meribel, but there were about 4 connections and 12 hours vs a 6 hour drive in my sister in laws compact car. Not sure how Gavin got to his boot shop, but I was able to walk there and from there we walked to the slopes.

I'm not asking people to give up skiing, but think they should consciously make up for the environmental damage they cause. For me, that means purchasing carbon offsets, philanthropic donations (time & money), and making impact investments into organic agriculture, climate tech, and impact funds.
snow conditions
What really boils my piss is the "protect our winters" wankers who fly all over the world all year round in search of snow but want you to stay at home in your 15 minute city eating fried blowfly for lunch.

Yes, Jessie Diggins, this includes you.
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:
On the promontory at Lake Como, sod the planet developers plan to recreate the ski resort of Monte San Primo with artificial snow. Wisely abandoned decades ago, it sits at just 1,100m, suffering the aridity and mild winter temperatures of the Po Valley. Widely opposed.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/lake-como-abandoned-ski-resort-italy-reintroduce-snow/

With European alpine temperatures rising apace, this seems ludicrous.

Cycled up there in 2019, I hadn't realized it was shut, the locals told me it was good for snow due to moisture from the lake and the north facing aspect. 1100m is quite high, lots of places lower than that in the alps. It all looked ready to go.

https://pistehors.com/HrAy92sByuHDGsGAK3Fn/san-primo-lake-como-italy

very steep roads in places
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
What really boils my piss is the "protect our winters" wankers who fly all over the world all year round in search of snow but want you to stay at home in your 15 minute city eating fried blowfly for lunch.

Yes, Jessie Diggins, this includes you.

Nobody likes hypocrits, but that doesn't mean that skiers and other humans haven't been responsible for rising GHG levels and loss of biodiversity (~70% since 1970). To me, these are unsustainable trends that will mostly kill the sport we love in the coming decades (not to mention the economic and loss of live damage we are also likely to see).

So, do we let hypocrits serve as an excuse to continue accelerating our sport's demise, or do we each take a step in the right direction like Gavin and many others?
snow report
MEfree30 wrote:

So, do we let hypocrits serve as an excuse to continue accelerating our sport's demise, or do we each take a step in the right direction like Gavin and many others?

Nothing in my message said not to take action because of hypocrites but a few skiers make very little difference to global warming. The principal issues are over population and too much consumerism (of which skiing is a part, but a very small, insignificant part).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy