Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recommendation for my wife

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wife has been skiing on Atomic Vantage 77 for around 6/7 years getting a week's skiing most years sometimes 2. She fancies some new skis and I'm not sure what would be best.
I would say she's on the intermediate plateau and doesn't really carve - mostly skiddy type turns and not very aggressive. Leisurely would describe her skiing best.
She fancies something a bit lighter. We stick to the piste but usually go in January which means we can have knee deep pow or hard packed piste. Something easy to turn I think would suit best.
Any ideas snowheads massive??
We are based in Glasgow and ideally would have done the try before you buy at Ellis Brigham but with the slpoe closed now, that's not an option. Thought these might be good https://www.nevisport.com/rossignol-women-s-all-mountain-skis-experience-w-80-carbon-xpress#color_code=Black-Sparkle
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry wrong thread, so deleted.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boabski, Difficult question to answer as we all ski differently and so a ski that may suit one person (who may rave about it ) doesn't suit another. Ultimately most skis these days are pretty good and so an all mountain ski suited to her ability level will probably be fine. To refine the choice you have to ski on them.
I am in a similar position this year as I am looking for an SL ski but reluctant to pay out a lot of money to find I dont like the ski that has been recommended to me by multiple snowHead . My strategy is when I am in Tignes for PSB I will hire with a deal that allows change of ski daily and effectively test drive a range.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Several of us were very impressed with the Blizzard Black Pearl 88s at the Oktobertest*
If they'd been purple or multicoloured like my current skis I'd probably have a pair by now
:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/skibase.php?skibrand=Blizzard

I believe @Tubaski's wife has a pair and is very pleased with them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blizzard Black Pearl 88. Amazing skis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@susieski, @sugarmoma666, Given that Mrs Boabski skis on piste, wouldn't the 82 be a better choice?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RobMcQ, the 88 seemed pretty "pistey" to me but also fared well in the cut up, lumpy soft snow at Hemel. I believe Mrs @Tubaski skis mostly on piste, do he may be able to advise.

Also, to address another aspect of the OP's request, they were some of the lighter skis I tested, although not as light as my current skis (Movement Gloss).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sugarmoma666, indeed @Bride of Tubaski does have a pair which I got her for Christmas a few years ago and she loves them. They are certainly light (hers are very light as the look nx bindings she has on them are also light). They only made the one width when we bought them. I suspect had there been a choice at the time I'd have bought her the narrower version on the basis that she does indeed stay on the pistes (or possibly on the basis it might be funnier if she decided not to Wink )
One of the main determining factors in choosing them was the number of ladies I have skied with who skied the same skis and loved them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The 88’s are brilliant on piste .I’ve found them superb on icy crud and steep terrain. Having owned lord how many skis these have been the ones I’ve enjoyed the most. They are incredibly easy to ski. Don’t go thinking. these are wide. They will cope with 6 inches of powder but I feel too narrow for any deeper . They are beautifully manoeuvrable if venturing into glades and trees. They are light also, I’ve got touring binds on mine . Go for it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will check out folks. Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m a huge fan of Atomic clouds - nice and light great ski in the piste (terrible off) pretty light easy in the knees i have shocking knees so don’t bend enough
i have mine slightly short to stop my trademark hand break turn (shorter ski shorter turn)
had them many years now so they are very much an old ski but still around to buy new.
nice female specific design

I’m a very competent skier but have got a middle aged and lazy on the piste - i don’t push it hard anymore (though if the piste is wide / empty and freshly groomed you’ll vanish in my rear view mirror)
so for me it’s a fabulous ski that takes care of me
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For somebody who only skis leisurely on piste... why go on ski's wider than what I ski off-piste (for those that know me: I don't mean the deathstars, I mean the 82mm Movement Sparks).

Wider skis are more bulky and need a bit more encouragement in transition.... so keep stick to a ski that's allround, not allmountain.
Also a ski that's shorter, especially when Ms @boabski is not very heavy, will feel more nimble.

Stick to woodcore. The ski linked by @boabski actually matches my discription, but the true judge will be how the Ms experiences them. That you only know by trying, rather than online recommendations.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy