Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery airport to Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
TLDR: Chambery airport is risky with late flights

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-02-24 12:58; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WTF!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't imagine that it makes sense to go from Chambery to Chamonix via Moutiers. Much more straightforward from Gva and there should be some quite cheap bus options. Someone will be along with some more accurate info soon
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Isn't Geneva Airport closer to Chamonix than Chambery Airport is?

A quick google found this:
https://www.easybus.com/routes/geneva-airport/geneva-to-chamonix/

That's considerably less than 80eur and there seemed to be other cheap options when I googled.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nnnnnn wrote:
Never tried this route before, some questions.

In 2022 there used to be a direct Altibus transfer (from airport?), nothing yet for 2023 ... do they normally announce it closer to December ? Who knows?

Otherwise:
a) Chambery airport to train station (free?) transfer 20 min every 20 min - is it the only non-taxi option ? Probably
Can I possibly make it from the plane to the train station solo with no luggage in 50 min ? Doubt it.
b) Train to Moutiers, then Altibus to Chamonix - do I need to book these in advance ? This is a very, very odd route.
It is one combination if I manage to get quickly to the train station and another if not - not sure if train/Altibus tickets can normally be used on the next departure. Who knows?

c) There are also some buses like Swiss Post that go direct to Moutiers from the airport but takes twice longer to get there. This is crazy.

Any other options apart, not car hire ? See below.
Or I scrap this all and fly to Geneva instead (flight is surprisingly*more expensive and transfer is around 80eur one way vs ~30eur the route above)
Thanks

This is some sort of masochistic "What's the maddest route I can take to Chamonix?" isn't it?

If you're truly fixated on Chambery (it's not really an airport, more a landing strip) taxi to station, train to Geneva, bus from Geneva. Swisstours for example, usually around €35 return.

Or fly to Geneva, then Swisstours, Flixbus, around €35-60 return. Significantly faster, more frequent & more convenient.

* no, it's not surprising at all. Landing strip vs airport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nnnnnn wrote:

Any other options apart, not car hire ?

Last time I looked into this (planning on seeing friends in Chambéry/Pontcharra/Allevard before heading on to Chamonix) the only other option recommended to me was Blablacar. Which is fine if you live locally and are happy to travel at alternative times, or on a different day, or even not at all, if a suitable lift doesn't offer itself. My guess is that that's not the case for you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nnnnnn wrote:
Any other options apart, not car hire ?

Helicopter Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, Chamonix seems to have morphed into Courchevel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666, Shocked

OP probably wants to get that straightened out!! Anyway, still not a good idea. Chambery does a handful of flights a week, all on a Saturday, all with funny holiday airlines and all only in and out of the UK. Weird.

Mind you, the French air force use it and those A400s do make a mighty fine noise.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OP did a bit more research on Chambery, noticed mentions of regular cases of diversions there and is leaning towards Geneva now, despite later arrival time and a single option, more expensive shared transfer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No idea what this thread is about.

But I'd stay off the crack Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was talked out of going to Chambery when skiing in Courchevel earlier this year - too much risk of diversion due to weather, and if you've booked a transfer then you're stuffed.

Ended up going to GVA and took an Altibus with a change at Moutiers - all very straightforward so can recommend it.

Rather ironically my return flight was cancelled, but there was one every couple of hours so no big deal. And the BA lounge was pleasant enough as a waiting room.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ratechaser wrote:
I was talked out of going to Chambery when skiing in Courchevel earlier this year - too much risk of diversion due to weather, and if you've booked a transfer then you're stuffed.

Ended up going to GVA and took an Altibus with a change at Moutiers - all very straightforward so can recommend it.

Rather ironically my return flight was cancelled, but there was one every couple of hours so no big deal. And the BA lounge was pleasant enough as a waiting room.

Yeah, concluded diversion risks are not worth it and booked GVA.

May I ask why change at Moutiers with Altibus, thought they had direct transfers to Courchevel ? Does Altibus have to be booked in advance ? There is another company that has slightly earlier transfer, but I would only have 50 min after landing to get there, thinking not booking in advance and try to make it for dinner in the hotel. On the other hand if I both of these are full, there is no other shared option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nnnnnn, Based on the times of my flights, there were only options to transfer via Moutiers - I have no idea if they do direct, but it was only about a 15 minute wait in each direction so really no big deal. I certainly booked well in advance - they do have a desk in the arrivals hall at GVA, but I was sitting in the cafe opposite for about an hour (because my flight got in early) and I didn't see anyone buying tickets there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy