Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying in Bourg and using funicular each day?

Poster: A snowHead
Will it be very busy at February half term? I can see that the Funicular says it only takes 7 mins but factor in the waiting time - would it be a pain to stay in BSM and use the funicular every day? Have found accommodation that works for the group in BSM but have always done ski in / ski out previously.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot depends on how far you have to walk to & from the funicular.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats not an issue - a couple of mins or drop off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Will it be very busy at February half term?

Yes, and when the crowd gets off there will be a queue at the Mont Blanc chair.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stay in Bourg, and use the Funni every day we ski.

Yes it's busy, but it's busier at Christmas and New Year.

Once you've worked out what time kids need to be in ski school, you can normally avoid the really busy trains.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Newbie72, Sounds like a good idea, presumably cheaper than staying in resort and can't be that much hassle otherwise it'd not get used. I'd do it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They also run extra trains at v. busy times to get people up the hill fast, so if you miss the first one you'll get on the next. I live in BSM so am used to it. Just get your elbows out and get in...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly76 we'd be part of that crowd trying to get to ski school!

Yes, it's a big cost difference for the group (£3-400 each) which across a family is quite a big saving
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Newbie72 wrote:

Yes, it's a big cost difference for the group (£3-400 each) which across a family is quite a big saving

It's not a problem, we've done the last 3 Christmas, Half-term & Easter holidays with the kids in ski school and it's been fine.

Like Tim says, out with the Elbows and in you go Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is SnowHeads.

Not StayingdowninthevalleyHeads.

No point in going to a ski resort, if you're not going to stay in a ski resort.

Being stuck down in the green valley -- while everybody up above is getting the full ski resort snow buzz -- totally sucks.

Pay extra and stay higher up the hill Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Newbie72 wrote:
Will it be very busy at February half term? I can see that the Funicular says it only takes 7 mins but factor in the waiting time - would it be a pain to stay in BSM and use the funicular every day? Have found accommodation that works for the group in BSM but have always done ski in / ski out previously.

I did this for my first ever trip to les arcs 10 trips ago. Never again! walked 15 mins in boots to the funicular each day carrying my skis. Painful. It would only work if you get a ski locker rented in arc 1600 for each day in my opinion to save your feet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's a very substantial saving. It depends on the opportunity cost of your time! If it takes an uncomfortable hour getting up the mountain (because those funi queues are no fun) for 6 days you're saving at least £50 an hour. If it takes less time, more. You have to ask yourself "would I do this for £50 an hour".

If you're 8 years old the question is "would I spend an hour doing this if my Dad gave me £10?".

If the kids are old enough to understand the concept of opportunity cost (and IME very little kids can get it) then bribe them. Saving money on the accommodation will mean more spending money.

Though for kids, being able to play out in the snow for hours after skiing is often the essence of the holiday........

I've queued for early funi in Tignes - it really is a bun fight.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Newbie72 wrote:

I am surprised the saving is so substantial.

The only time I did HT it was about 800 Euros for an apartment for 4 (as opposed to 550 at Christmas). I never look at Bourg, I would expect it to be a little cheaper, but not that much.

How many are you and what are your price comparisons?

FWIW, as long as you are close to the funi or can store skis and don't mind not staying in the mountains proper I don't see an issue. I stayed in Brides (3V) once, which is a similar kind of thing.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 8-11-23 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, I think the dynamics changed when the barracks closed, a lot of empty shops bars and hotels etc, Bourg became a bit of a town robbed of its major year round employer, it’s now very much on the up again.
There was also a lot of grand plans by the Marie which spent quite a bit and produced not a lot. TimL and robR will know more detail.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne group of 10 (3 families) with youngish teens. Catered chalet in BSM (5 mins from funicular who will drop / collect) @ £500-600 each. Same in Les Arcs, for HT week, we're looking at £900-£1000 each.
snow report
@Newbie72, I was there half term just before Covid.. Queues weren't horrific, but I wasn't trying to get to ski school. Either go v early or late. Ski locker will eat into the savings, but make life with children much easier. BSM a nice place to be...
latest report
@Newbie72, ah, catered - slightly different ball game.

I would probably do it.
snow conditions
@Layne, I'm not sure why but demand in Les Arcs over the half term month is high this year. I had a quick look and 4 person studios are asking from 1300€ to over 2000, which is more than usual. A 90m2 4 room apartment in La Ridge Arc 1600 with pool, spa etc for 10 is being advertised with GSI at 9300€ which is just about the most expensive I've ever seen.
latest report
@johnE, interesting. I thought people were skint!

Christmas is similar price to last year for us.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
This is SnowHeads.

Not StayingdowninthevalleyHeads.

No point in going to a ski resort, if you're not going to stay in a ski resort.

Being stuck down in the green valley -- while everybody up above is getting the full ski resort snow buzz -- totally sucks.

Pay extra and stay higher up the hill Cool

Haha. But somewhat true. that said 400 pounds is 400 pounds...
snow conditions
Quote:

Haha. But somewhat true. that said 400 pounds is 400 pounds...

That's the saving per person, there are 10 in the group ! Confused
snow conditions
When we were in 1600 we got skis from Skiset it something and we used the shop as a ski locker each day. No cost as we’d rented skis and boots from them. If you are hiring skis see if you can do that. Then you walk in soft boots and change up the mountain. Made it much easier than tromping anywhere carrying skis.

We carried two kids skis at vaujany and never again.
snow report
I think you can rent lockers at the ski shop at the bottom of the funicular, Polaire Star, if hauling skis while wearing boots is too much of a faff.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Polaire Star was sold a couple of years ago. It's now ran by Intersport. I think you can still rent lockers though even if you're not hiring their kit
latest report
We stayed in Bourg for 2 weeks mid Feb this past season. We walked about 10 Min to the funi every day. We rented our kit from the intersport at the top of the Funi, and the package we choose included ski and boot storage. It was nice walk to the funi in street shoes, and changing in the shop was easy. (they also have lockers for hire downstairs). The people there were very friendly. I highly recommend that shop. We enjoyed Bourg, especially the variety of dining and grocery options. To us, Bourg was a wonderful experience. I see some posters think Bourg is a second tier option, but we really enjoyed the 'real' village feel of Bourg. BTW, we were always able to board the next Funi as soon as it got down (or up in the Pm)
latest report
@alanski, I agree. I think Bourg St Maurice is a really nice place to stay with lots of different dining options, well-priced, and the feel of a French town. And as you say, much of the hassle when using an access lift such as the funicular can be significantly reduced by renting and storing your skis and boots in a convenient location.
snow report
I'm very interested in this thread as I've also considered the same. With the cost of ski holidays (especially in half term), well priced accommodation is really where you save. We go to Bourg every summer and stay in a cabin at Huttopia - and I've seen that they offer these over winter. The ski bus stops directly outside....so lockers in 1600 would make life easier.

But I guess you need to get your funicular timing right to avoid peak crowds. In summer, there are transfer buses at the top so not sure if the same in winter (which would take the pressure off that first lift). Although if you are kitting up at the top, that would hopefully mean there's not as long a first lift queue by the time you get there?

We're a ski in/ski out family (where possible) so I'd only consider the above if it was considerable savings. Have just looked at Huttopia prices for half term Feb 2024. You can still book a 35 square metre cabin for 6 people (but I think it might be a bit cramped and 4 would be comfortable) for 1089 Euros. I don't think I've ever paid more than 1400 Euros in Feb half term for ski in/ski out (in big name resorts) for the same amount of space. So I guess it's cost saving vs convenience.....and if the difference in price makes or breaks a ski holiday then go for it!
snow report
@kettonskimum, I think Huttopia run a shuttle bus to and from the funicular. The navettes around to 1800 and 2000 run from the top of the funicular and some people from Plan Devin use them to start the day at the Jardin Alpin lift in 1800 (It saves them walking up the hill to the Arc1600 lifts). They run every 20 minutes or so. Personnaly I would just suck it up and wait the 5 to 10 minutes for the Cachette or Mont Blanc lifts
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, bookings in Val d'Isere are through the roof this season, even into April when it's generally light with folks waiting on conditions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy