Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ordering & fitting winter tyres en route to the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have had a set fitted in France (but in Autumn not on our way to a ski trip). Bought through Allopneus, delivered to a tyre fitters in Briancon, all went very smoothly. Why did we buy them there? We needed replacements for our summer tyres, it was just after Brexit and Covid 2021, and there was no stock available in the UK of the size we needed and the brand we wanted. They were full winter, and were Vredestein Wintracs I think, but can't check as we don't have that car now and I can't find the email. Current ones are all-season Vredestein Quatrac Pro on a 4x4 Skoda Superb, fitted in UK by a mobile fitter, and obtained from mytyres last December. Order in good time, as they do take a lot longer to arrive now, as they are usually shipped from Europe.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seems to me that you are adding grief to your holidays? Crazee
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LaForet wrote:
certified for EVs

Does a certification exist? Pretty sure it's just companies jumping on the band waggon and highlighting that some tyres are suitable for EVs. Some are certainly tailored towards EV to often be more fuel efficient vs other characteristics i.e. so that car manufacturers can claim higher WLTP with a small degradation in wear or performance.

Cross Climate 2 are more than suitable for powerful cars - I've just fitted a set to my winter alloys on my Model Y performance specifically because they are V speed rated so more than capable. You might ask why I didn't just fit winters and thats because for most of the time I will be in the UK where we see a full range i.e. can often see warmer temps in Feb/March and only expect snow for a single trip to the Alps and the CC2s perform almost as well as winters anyway. Come summer the summer wheels will go back on (I would have fitted all-seasons to them but none available in the right sizes Sad )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Just seems to me that you are adding grief to your holidays? Crazee

This.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Lots to take onboard Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rob_Quads No you’re, right, there’s no agreed industry standard for EV tyres like there is for winter tyres and the three peak and snowflake certification. And right again that this is just self- certification that a tyre of a particular build is OK to use on a BEV. But I think it’s still useful that the tyre manufacturers are confident enough to self-certify a tyre as suitable for an EV when previously, there was a lot of uncertainty: some manufacturers had tried to grab this new market to themselves by releasing apparently EV-only products. And gave the impression that there was something unique about EVs that meant you needed uniquely-EV tyres. But this was disingenuous: they were just regular tyres with regular strengthening and torque bias, usually in XL form.

You’re also right to point out that winters in the UK pose a problem in early winter and early spring, when typically conditions can alternate rapidly between cold/wet and dry/warm. This is where all-seasons tend to cope better than winters. Nevertheless, I’d still say that high performance vehicles still tend to amplify the inferiority of all-seasons compared to winters in mid-winter and summers in mid-summer. But perhaps this is more the case on ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles, where exploiting engine performance means much gear-changing, compared to the linear power of an EV.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LaForet wrote:
It just happens that Michelin were the first to market a mainstream, all-season tyre. The first generation wasn't that great but did the job, then their merits caught on and other manufacturers have been playing catch-up. SUV owners in particular realised that the slick summer tyres fitted ex-factory were often useless in slush, snow and mud. But Michelin have done a good job of exploiting their early development, to the extent that the CrossClimates are pretty much what most people think of first, if they consider all-seasons at all. And often the first that a retailer will suggest if someone asks about all-seasons. All-seasons are now what a lot of BEV owners are switching to as well, as their ex-factory tyres are often over-biased towards quiet running and longer life, at the expense of wet-weather performance. Many are happy to trade a bit of additional dB and shorter life for a more confident drive in the heavy rain, damp and cold. Three mainstream all-seasons that also happen to be certified for EVs as well are
    Michelin CrossClimate™ 2
    Pirelli Cinturato AllSeason™ SF2
    Continental AllSeasonContact™ 2
[Edit: This is self-certification. There isn’t any sort of industry standard for designating a particular tyre as suitable for fitting to an EV.]

100% agree - The Hankook tyres that was delivered with my Tesla was horrible in the wet - Especially in Italy this summer, where the roads are not particularly well designed to deal with water. Changed to CC2 tyres, and regret not doing it sooner!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is like a ‘which oil’ thread on a car or Motorcycle forum!

My car came with Michelin CrossClimates but I’ll probably be swapping them For Goodyear Vector 4 seasons before I venture to the Alps. I know the Michelins get good reviews but the ones on my car feel very smooth whereas the Goodyears on my other car feel nice and sharp with pronounced sipes. The Goodyears performed amazingly last year on my fwd car. If I can’t get a good deal on the Goodyears I might try the Continentals.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@japes1275, I'm with you, I also run GY Vector 4S. For me, the key selling point was the wet weather performance of the Vectors vs the CC2s, where every test puts the Vectors well ahead. They also have their "lifetime aquaplaning resistance" guarantee which is what really sold them to me. I have loads of experience driving in snow and couldn't care less about it, the condition that I always seem to encounter at some point to, from or around the Alps is heavy rain at motorway speeds, and that's the one that makes me most uncomfortable. My last all seasons (Vredestein) were distinctly fidgety in those conditions once they were part worn.

The original CCs were always described as a "summer tyre that works in winter" whereas the CC2s seem to be a "snow tyre that also works in summer". I wish they'd left it well alone as a summer-biased tyre - that's far better for the majority of the UK's climate IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@japes1275, I'm with you, I also run GY Vector 4S. For me, the key selling point was the wet weather performance of the Vectors vs the CC2s, where every test puts the Vectors well ahead. They also have their "lifetime aquaplaning resistance" guarantee which is what really sold them to me. I have loads of experience driving in snow and couldn't care less about it, the condition that I always seem to encounter at some point to, from or around the Alps is heavy rain at motorway speeds, and that's the one that makes me most uncomfortable. My last all seasons (Vredestein) were distinctly fidgety in those conditions once they were part worn.

The original CCs were always described as a "summer tyre that works in winter" whereas the CC2s seem to be a "snow tyre that also works in summer". I wish they'd left it well alone as a summer-biased tyre - that's far better for the majority of the UK's climate IMO.

It's not often in appraisal that there's in depth discussion of how this type of tyre works. Rather than "traditional" reduction of rubber rigidity to bring flex at cold temps, assisted by multiple cuts/sipes, it's much more the way the edges are presented in differing demand situation that Michelin jumped a boundary with. Pure geometry of tread design, in other words.
This giving slippery surface performance while still using or making less need for more flexible compound. Its a detail that many don't take on board when they make comparison of, for example, winter "grip" vs "summer" wear characteristic and how that first iteration of CC blended to two.
Toyo Celsius and Bridgestone all weather tyres seem to be more or less straight copy of that original CC and could offer you something of the same.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Toyo Celsius AS2 that is Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Je suis un Skieur, have you seen comparison like this one https://www.thetirelab.com/toyo-celsius-as2/ ? you can bar some of the competitors (just click on legend ) to give just paired comparison and simplified view on the "radar" screen display.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
japes1275 wrote:
This is like a ‘which oil’ thread on a car or Motorcycle forum!

My car came with Michelin CrossClimates but I’ll probably be swapping them For Goodyear Vector 4 seasons before I venture to the Alps. I know the Michelins get good reviews but the ones on my car feel very smooth whereas the Goodyears on my other car feel nice and sharp with pronounced sipes. The Goodyears performed amazingly last year on my fwd car. If I can’t get a good deal on the Goodyears I might try the Continentals.

Could it possible be a Volvo or a Mercedes ? Both have their own OEM version of the tyre, which is more comfort orientated, and less “sharp”.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
don't go winter tyre, go all season. I have Michelin Cross Climate 2s on all 4 corners.. wouldn't have anything else... in tests, not only do they outperform most dedicated winter tyres, they also perform as well if not better than most summer tyres... amazing things, quiet too!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy