Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trips from Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
We’ll be in Val Claret for 2 weeks this Christmas/New Year. We’ve visited a few times before, so know the area pretty well.

As we’re there for a decent chunk of time, we thought we’d have a day or two elsewhere. We’ll have our own car, so no problem with getting around.

First idea is to drive over to VD, so we can concentrate on skiing the Le Fornet area, without the usual clock-watching to ski back. Also, might spend the evening in town as we can ditch the boots in the car and then drive back to Tignes later. Where’s the best bet for parking?

We also want to try another resort for a day. We’ve been to the other Tarentaise mega resorts, so won’t be going to them. Thought about La Rosiere and hopping over to Italy. Again, is there good/easy parking there?

Where else would you recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go over the col de Palet and follow the GR5 long distance footpath down to Champagny.

I think most people would suggest going to St Foy for a day rather than La Rosiere. For La Rosiere there is a carpark just by the lift at Ecudets and others at the entrance to the village from where you can get a Navette. Incidently, I think of La Rosiere as an Tarrentaise mega resort. For a non mega one try Pralognon la Vanoise, but that is quite a drive
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crest Volland? La Clusaz? Maybe both with a night stop inbetween?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's quite a long way to Crest Voland and, fond as I am of the place, I wouldn't suggest it as a day trip from Tignes. Sainte Foy is the best shout - just down the road.

Another possibility would be do something different for a day. Cross-country or raquettes, perhaps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good suggestion from Pam_W

Stay inresort and go icediving, snowmobiling, paragliding, etc.

Tignes does some cool stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, you forgot ice climbing, or even sport climbing on the indoor climbing wall.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
@Whitegold, you forgot ice climbing, or even sport climbing on the indoor climbing wall.

Evo 2 Activities: https://evolution2.com/en/tignes

Atypical accommodation
Bungee Jumping
Canoë-Raft
Canyoning
Climbing
Dog sledding
Evenings & Wilderness Camp
Fishing
Go Ape
Guided hikes
Horse riding
Hydrospeed
Ice Diving
Ice Driving
Ice Floating
Mountain Biking, E-Bike & Fat-Bike
Mountaineering
Multisports Summer
Paragliding
Quad, Buggy 4x4
Rafting
Sledge - Paret - Yooner
Snow shoeing
Snowmobile, skidoo, snow-scoots & moonbikes
Speedriding
Via Ferrata
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, much as I love via ferrata and the Roc de Tovière is one of the finest via ferrata in France I woud not choode to do it at the end of December. Though a large part of it overhangs and as a consequence woud be clear of snow the descent is a steep trek through the avalanche fences - not pleasant.

As for ice floating - i'll leave that to elite atheletes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
@Old Fartbag, much as I love via ferrata and the Roc de Tovière is one of the finest via ferrata in France I woud not choode to do it at the end of December. Though a large part of it overhangs and as a consequence woud be clear of snow the descent is a steep trek through the avalanche fences - not pleasant.

As for ice floating - i'll leave that to elite atheletes

I think there is enough variety to avoid stuff that's unsuitable or out of season.

When our Kids were small, they did Dog-Sledding round the lake - and my Daughter did the Ski Joering Discovery.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Go over the col de Palet and follow the GR5 long distance footpath down to Champagny.

I think most people would suggest going to St Foy for a day rather than La Rosiere. For La Rosiere there is a carpark just by the lift at Ecudets and others at the entrance to the village from where you can get a Navette. Incidently, I think of La Rosiere as an Tarrentaise mega resort. For a non mega one try Pralognon la Vanoise, but that is quite a drive

Good shout. Was thinking La Rosiere as it’s higher for early season, but maybe it’s a bit big for one day to explore
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Good suggestion from Pam_W

Stay inresort and go icediving, snowmobiling, paragliding, etc.

Tignes does some cool stuff.

Yep, Ice Diving is on the possibles list, but looks to be only an hour or so activity.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But an hour to get psyche yourself up and the rest of the day to recover.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@4D6174, I get it with regard to Le Fornet but a few thoughts on this... You are one chairlift and one bus ride away from Le Fornet (Tufs or Bollin/Fresse, down to La Daille, bus to Le Fornet) so you could be there easily by 10am which is not cutting into your day too much. You could also steal a march on the day by taking the bus at 8am from Tignes 1800 to Val d'Isere and then the bus to Le Fornet. But if you did decide to take the car (and I can understand the attraction of wanting to linger longer in Val at the end of the day) then there is free parking for 48 hours in Le Fornet itself. It has a height restrictor (1.8m from memory) so no good if you have a roof box. And it can get quite full, in which case you'd have to work your way back down the hill to find other free or paid for parking, eg Laissinant. If you ended up in Laissinant car park (paid), there is a handy chairlift there that takes you straight to the Le Fornet sector.

I think if you drive out of the Tarantaise valley into some of the others, it will be quite a schlep. So I'd second the suggestions of La Rosiere and St Foy. I'd definitely encourage La Rosiere: chose a nice day though (not stormy) so that you can get over to Italy for lunch and be able to get back (on stormy days the link can close). You will love the difference in attitude and ambience in La Thuile on the Italian side, and can give run no 3 (Women's World Cup course) a go if you are brave - very brave (!) or run 7 to pootle down the Petit St Bernard mountain pass road (obligatory photo on the French / Italian border). Recommendations for cafe / pit stop in La Thuile: Le Petit Skieur, Lo Ratrack. Parking in La Rosiere is easy, a few € for a day ticket from machines in the street that you display in your windscreen. You could park in Ecudet as suggested which used to be free, but I have not tried this nor the chair lift up (and if snow cover is poor also down!). A personal view: I've never found La Rosiere especially interesting but La Thuile quite the opposite so I'd just head straight over.

And St Foy. If off-piste is your bag and conditions are good, hire a mountain guide and explore. Parking used to be free (but not been for a few years) but hard to get parked close to the lifts.

One other thought: St Foy village (on the main road - the ski station is up a squiggly-diddly road just above) is cheek-by-jowl with Villaroger, just the other side of the valley that splits them. Free parking and access Les Arcs, which I've always really enjoyed skiing. 30 Minutes drive from Val Claret.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drive to La Plagne and have a go on the bobsleigh track. Variety of bobsled and skeleton options. Will add new meaning next time you watch the Winter Olympics.

https://en.la-plagne.com/explore-the-multitude-of-activities-on-offer/plunge-into-the-heart-of-winter/bobsleigh-skeleton-sled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I haven’t checked this season but Les Arcs normally has a cheaper Saturday lift pass which makes it a good value option. There is a large carpark at the foot of the funicular.
Although either la rosiere or Sainte foy would be enjoyable too.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Drive to La Plagne and have a go on the bobsleigh track. Variety of bobsled and skeleton options. Will add new meaning next time you watch the Winter Olympics.

https://en.la-plagne.com/explore-the-multitude-of-activities-on-offer/plunge-into-the-heart-of-winter/bobsleigh-skeleton-sled

Looks good!
snow conditions
We’re going to need three weeks to fit all this in…
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy