Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania, Vallandry, la Plagne 1800 and transport options!

Poster: A snowHead
@kettonskimum, now you're talking..cheaper food and a haul of wine!

Can I just check: we'd get the funicular to 1600 and then a free shuttle bus to Vallandry?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am stopping in Landry this January ...where there is a bus to eithe Nancoix for les arc or to Monchavin for La Plagne
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ali in the alps, Funicular to 1600, bus to 1800 then the little bus to Vallandry. The bus from 1800 to Valladry is not particularly frequent, however.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not quite sure still of the method of travel. If getting the train, you could jump off at Landry (stop before Bourg) and get a free shuttle to Vallandry (might be a bit more regular).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally once there are 4 people driving is the cost effective option. Even with the overnight stay.

Depends what time you can leave (and if it’s a Friday) but we have driven down to folkstone/Calais and across on the Friday and maybe 1 - 2 hours max the other side. So you have 3 hours Norfolk to folkstone then break. 2 hours after the ferry/tunnel and break.

The next morning crack on at 8am. Stop every 2 hours with younger kids worked for us. We used to create playlists with all of us choosing songs we liked. We stopped regularly- certainly worked better for us as a family.

We’ve skied all the areas you are looking at and think I would do La Tania for great confidence boosting greens. La plagne 1800 gets hectic. Vallandry is great but as mentioned blue runs back and a bun fight at the lifts.

Personally after a long journey I would never faff with funicular and shuttle busses with bags and children and double bags for adults.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ali in the alps wrote:
@boredsurfin, any suggestions for stopping over half way. What do you tend to do?

We stopped depending on time of crossing at the following BB Hotels St Quentin - about 1.5 hours from Calais, Arras about 2 hours from Calais. For many years (when we were allowed to take the kids out of School for all of Friday) at Beaune which is about 4 hours from La Plagne. Leisurely Breakfast followed by an easy drive up to La Plagne usually stopping at the Hypermarket in Chambery or Albertville for fresh food. (We usually self catered).
One of the attractions of Montalbert is its around a 10 min drive up from the Valley.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lucywuk, not sure about bun fight for Vallandry lift, was replaced last year with a very fast and efficient 10-person Gondola

Again Foret run down is not steep, it’s a road in summer, one of my boys went UP it on XC skis before lifts open and took lift down.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kettonskimum, @Lucywuk, @boredsurfin, @johnE, thanks guys, superbly helpful. I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to help us.
We just received an extra discount on the chalet in La Tania, and it seems like a safe resort for the beginners, so we're now getting it booked. It feels like quite a relief to have something sorted.
Maybe Vallandry the year after!
I think you may all have persuaded us to give driving across a go. 'Are we nearly there yet?!'
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ali in the alps wrote:
We just received an extra discount on the chalet in La Tania, and it seems like a safe resort for the beginners, so we're now getting it booked.
The right choice!

Ali in the alps wrote:
I think you may all have persuaded us to give driving across a go. 'Are we nearly there yet?!'

I'm 3 hours from Eurotunnel and always stop just south of Reims, mainly because I do all the driving and can't be arsed to be on the road before about 9.30am. If I get on a UK 3pm ish train, I still make dinner in the hotel restaurant. If you're happy starting earlier or eating at a service station on the way then I second whoever said Beaune is a good place to stop. Make sure you get a toll doofer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Je suis un Skieur, thanks Eh oh!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ali in the alps, Enjoy

Love the drive, part of the holiday for us.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ali in the alps, La Tania great choice, drove there a couple of times snowHead - just watch out for the grossly overpriced restaurants towards Courchevel!
Check out https://www.latania.co.uk
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
just watch out for the grossly overpriced restaurants towards Courchevel!
Can't argue with that comment Laughing

But at least two of the best value, the Bouc Blanc and Pub Le Ski Lodge, are right on the doorstep. It's far from my favourite in the 3Vs but if the Bouc Blanc was good enough for Kate and Wills, well... <shrug>
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

But at least two of the best value, the Bouc Blanc and Pub Le Ski Lodge, are right on the doorstep. It's far from my favourite in the 3Vs but if the Bouc Blanc was good enough for Kate and Wills, well... <shrug>

So which are your faves? I loved bouc Blanc. But also that one at the top of Granges/roc 2 lift
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lucywuk wrote:
But also that one at the top of Granges/roc 2 lift

Interesting, haven't been in there since it was done up a few years ago. I'm a cheapskate these days, I reckon €45 for a lunch for one is enough! My favourites by far for proper French cuisine, sensible prices and no need to book if you turn up after 1pm ish are La Ferme de Reberty in LM and La Loy in St M. The restaurant section in the self service in Orelle was excellent last time I went there but it was low season - it gets average reviews in high season. There are many times I wish my apartment was in LM because I could so happily sit at one of La Ferme's high tables watching the world go by and drink until I fall over on a low vis day. wink

La Cave des Creux and the Bel Air are the places to go in Courchevel but you've got no hope without a booking. I'm a bit of a creature of habit so if you have more recent recommendations, I'm interested to hear them.
latest report
Bel air yes, not tried the others. We are staying in LM this year. Le Grand Lac that was its name and we have enjoyed just watching the piste below and relaxing. Great onion soup and quiche/salad at not too ££
snow report
The other places in LM that have a strong reputation are the l'Ours Blanc, the Chalet du Sunny and Chez Pepe Nicolas (on the border with VT, off piste-ish). First two are ok, haven't been to Chez Pepe. A quick search on Trip Advisor says l'Etoile is the No. 1 in LM which is a new one on me but it's right on the piste between the Menuires and Doron lifts. Please go there and let me know how it is! Laughing
snow conditions
La Tania Pub Ski Lodge has been gutted for its 30th Birthday - Hopefully none of the ambience will be lost by being refurbed...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy