Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone dyed leather?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Marmot gloves, mostly for town or spring use, which weirdly, after a few winters got wet early last season and have discoloured (originally a pale tan colour). A not very fetching camo look.

I was considering dying them a darker brown to disguise.

Anyone dyed leather? does it work? Does it withstand humidity?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be concerned that next time they got wet the dark brown would transfer to my hands. Just go with the "well worn old mountain dog" look.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, that's certainly a concern. They haven't really stained in a nice well worn way though. Sort of looks like I dribbled while making yellow snow*

* which I DID NOT DO!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, car upholsterers routinely do this to either change colour or repair match in restoration.

That appears particularly permanent, flexible etc and doesn’t come off onto the seat user.

Could be an avenue to explore, there must be products available.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Something of this ilk https://www.theleathercolourdoctor.co.uk/audi-leather-dye-sealer-touch-up-repair-restorer-car-interior-repair-kit/ looks competent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just call it patina and make it part of your rad old man of the mountain look.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, per above, it looks like I pee'd on my hands. Though why I'd have gloves on while peeing I don't know. If it's that cold, I won't be exposing anything at all Embarassed

@ski3, that was what my research had encountered, thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski3, the "Audi Mustang Brown" looks just the ticket.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I believe that leather requires a fixative and that the leather industry uses urine Shocked , so you may need to pee on them after all wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowheid wrote:
I believe that leather requires a fixative and that the leather industry uses urine Shocked , so you may need to pee on them after all wink

All the uric acid is being put into "Adblue" I thought Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@ski3, the "Audi Mustang Brown" looks just the ticket.

You'll need a "Yeehaw" to go with them now Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, are y'all suggesting I don't "yip" and "yeehaw" already?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Atda-boy @under a new name,

http://youtube.com/v/PFGyhSifqzA?si=zKCrX7SMqsUdySLP
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, per above, it looks like I pee'd on my hands. Though why I'd have gloves on while peeing I don't know. If it's that cold, I won't be exposing anything at all Embarassed

@ski3, that was what my research had encountered, thanks!

That's what old men tend to do. So everything checks out, problem solved. snowHead
latest report
Not sure about your part of the world but pretty sure here in the uk you can buy dyes for leather shoes in some hardware stores and in shoe repair shops - might be worth a try on the gloves.
I'm not, of course, suggesting that your shoes might have suffered the same 'old man' fate that has been implied of your gloves.
latest report
It's easy to do. You probably want to rub them over with a de-glazer to remove any existing finish, then just use a leather dye. You can apply it with an old cloth (or a new one). When they're dry then use a wax or something to seal them and protect em. Feibings is what I've always used for all 3 steps, the deglazer, dye and atom wax. Can't remember if the dye's water or solvent based. I've re-dyed loads of stuff, it's really easy to get a good finish if you're methodical about it.

The shoe stuff is usually just tinted wax or polish, you're better dying them properly as it's so easy.
latest report
@B., thanks, good to know. Nearly bought dye yesterday but bailed as if it didn't work...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy