Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids want to try snowboarding- L Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
We have just booked La Thuile this Christmas staying in Planibel . Have four kids in our group aged 10 and 13 and they are all ok skiers ( the 13 year olds are better/ faster than 10 year olds) but now the older ones ( and possibly the younger ones) want to try snowboarding… l have read that La Thuile is not ideal for snowboarding but probably less of a problem if they stay in beginner area… but l am in two minds if they might get bored being beginners again for the whole week.. we can book them in for morning ( or even a few full days?) lessons but ideally would love for them to join us at least some afternoons and explore the resort - we ,adults, will ski and would love to go over to La Roserie and even maybe a day on another Aosta resort. Should we rent both skis and snowboards for the kids ( so they can snowboard in the morning and ski in the afternoon) - this can be pricey and also seems a bit of a logistical nightmare having to go back midday to change the equipment? Any ideas /recommendations on how to best organise this? I must add that one of the 13 year old is getting a little reluctant about ski holidays and would be happier to be stuck in front of a screen 24/7 Confused Confused Confused Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know La Thuile at all but are there any 'piste adjacent' lockers, or enough adults that you could each ski with a boot or two in backpacks?

If there are you could hire both sets of kit and change boots over lunch (using time inside in a restaurant to warm up the ski boot plastic a bit before putting them in). Only other thing is finding somewhere to stash the skis - but I can't imagine there's much of a black market for stolen children's hire skis/boards, and a cheap combination lock would prevent accidental pick-/tidy-up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mjit, l am not sure as have never been to La Thuile before… we have 4 kids and 4 adults so carrying 2 boots each while skiing for a week doesn’t sound that great
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't do the swapping thing. It's too indulgent and you'll constantly have one of them wanting to swap at any point in time if you're unlucky.

Plus snowboarding is HARD for the first few days then gets a lot easier to progress so kids would need to have a bit of grit to get there. I'd probably try to make the kids take it seriously by telling them they are all in on boarding if they want to do it and the only possible swap point would be midweek. Should focus them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski first 3 days & let them snowboard the last 3 days.
4 kids might be better off doing full day private lessons over 3 days. That way you get your own time to explore.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd suggest you should commit to the idea that the kids want to snowboard, and they should spend their week doing that. If you hanker for togetherness, you could ALL learn to snowboard. wink they will learn far quicker than you, which would turn the tables nicely.

If they are knackered and sore from snowboarding all morning they might want to lollop around in the afternoon rather than swap straight into ski mode. That's probably particularly true of the screen-struck 13 year old. A new found enthusiasm for snowboarding would be good for them!

It would be good if the younger ones decided to do it too - their mixed ages shouldn't be any problem. And they'd all be starting from scratch.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my grandsons started boarding last year. He'd had quite a lot of dry slope lessons, half paid for from his earnings skivvying in a pub on Saturdays. He'd persisted, though I can't think of much worse than learning to snowboard on plastic. My son in law, a PE teacher and decent boarder himself, helped him on our family holiday but he's no natural athlete and did find it very difficult. We all admired his tenacity. He's exceptionally skinny, which doesn't help when you keep falling on your bum.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all - some good advice her as always… yes, l suspected that me swapping idea is not the best

Probably the way to go is to start off with a few days snowboarding and then few days of skiing if they want to

I have never snowboarded in my life and have no plans to learn as am probably not nearly cool enough for this but regarding the younger kids - does skiing proficiency matters when learning to snowboard , also size / temperament ? So will a 13 year old who is a better/faster skier and also fearless learn faster and enjoy it more than his more timid blue/red skier almost 10 yr old brother?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry fat fingers and lots of spelling mistakes, apologies Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

So will a 13 year old who is a better/faster skier and also fearless learn faster and enjoy it more than his more timid blue/red skier almost 10 yr old brother?

Is the Pope a Catholic? Yes, of course. But a bouncy 10 year old will do better than a more cautious and self-conscious 13 year old. And generally a young teenager will learn faster than an adult. But a lot depends on motivation. If they think they're going to hate it, and feel resentful about it, then they will hate it. Sometimes good skiers are reluctant to spend a week looking like beginners - which I always think is a moral failing. wink Learning new stuff is good for you. I learnt to snowboard in my '50s though I never got very good at it and did have a lot of falls. One of my grand-daughters got a second hand skateboard for her 6th birthday. She just sort of got on and did it. She's skinny, very muscly, very active, spends half her time upside down and tough when she hurts herself (which she frequently does). She got on brilliantly with skiing, at 5, last year, though she'd have got on better if she'd listened to the instructor as her 10 year old (much less athletic) brother did. I suspect she will want to snowboard next time she's on snow - her dad is a very good skier and a pretty good boarder. We didn't do much together on boards but he always rode switch when he was with me. And was still in a different league. But he didn't mind - he's not at all competitive and doesn't mind not looking as cool as he does when he rides regular.

I don't think being able to ski helps much with boarding, though understanding snow, and being able to "read a slope" (e.g. notice when there's a marked camber to one side) is helpful. Skateboarding or maybe wakeboarding would probably help more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A kid of any age who can laugh off plenty of arris slams and whiplash will do better at boarding than one who tends to the crybabyish.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A degree of fundamental athleticism and balance is also helpful - and more important than with skiing, I think, when anyone who listens to a good instructor can learn to ski competently down a blue slope, regardless of how "sporty" they are.

There is no skiing equivalent of the commitment needed to change edges on a board. And no boarding equivalent of a slow and careful snowplough.

I once watched a little chap no more than 5 years old, in a suit like a teddy bear, learning with his father. They had an absolute ball and the little guy just kept laughing and getting up again. I was doing the same thing, on the same slope, but with so much less grace. There were a few other beginner boarders on the slope at the same time - it was a lot of fun. Thankfully one of the others spotted my car keys had dropped out of my stupidly unzipped trouser pockets, on one of my falls. I did have padded shorts. And, obvs, wrist guards but nothing saves your coccyx. I did get good at flinging myself onto a buttock rather than sitting straight down.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think skiing helps lots with snowboarding; for me and those of us around in the early days of snowboarding it was a pretty simple transition, not at all like learning to ski in the first place. Different folk, different strokes, but that's how it was for me: easy to switch.

I agree with the idea of commitment though. If I was paying the deal would be at least two weeks on snowboards, hate it or not. I'd try to dissuade people from even trying, unless they understand the commitment they will need to get to a level where they are actually "trying snowboarding", rather than "playing at being a novice once again and not liking it much".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They want to snowboard... Disown them!

There are quite a few long flat bits on some of the runs so route choice needs careful thought. From memory bothe the exteame left and right perimeter runs hsve flats.

If you want to go to LaRos' then bear in mind that the return is via a very long (1.5km?) poma. Its fairly flat, has a fast take-off and a couple of downhill sections. It seems to test the skills of experienced boarders, so could be a challenge for beginners. Come off in the wrong place and it's a long walk either way.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, your snowboarding learning experience sounds great… l am half tempted to try, l am not yet in my 50s, but a 40 something perpetually intermediot skier with questionable coordination skills and fitness level - l am sure l would do great! @phil_w, as we only ski a week a year two weeks commitment would mean two years! @adithorp, I am also half tempted to disown my kids- snowboarding is really not my idea , it’s the ex snowboarder dad from the other family stirring Wink
snow report
Let them do both.

Let them enjoy their childhood and experimental playtime.

You're only young once.

But be aware that...

1. They will be jack of all trades and master of none. The number of adults who can do both plank and tray to a high level is vanishingly small.

2. Old snowboarders over 40yo look a bit tragic. Longevity is questionable.
snow report
@Whitegold, I'll put it more succinctly, don't bother. I had all of this with my son when he was in his early teens and SBing was still quite cool. He is/was a good skier. I'd spent plenty putting him through race training from a young age. I wasn't prepared to throw all of that to the wind for a faddy 5 mins on a board. 'Forget it' got the message across and now in his late twenties, he smiles wryly when reminded. A day on a board is a wasted day off of skis imho. Snowboarding will never fully die out, but it is dropping away to niche now. My eldest daughter started as a snowboarder and is a BASI qualified instructor working in Verbier for 6 years, so I'm not anti SB. Just stick to one or the other. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

Old snowboarders over 40yo look a bit tragic

Underneath all that gear it's hard to tell what age people are anyway. I hate to think what Whitegold would have thought if he'd seen me, 8.5 months pregnant, on a windsurfer. Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Old snowboarders over 40yo look a bit tragic. Longevity is questionable.

Sadly, I think that is the majority of snowboarders. It would be good to see youngsters taking up the pastime. Good on them, but give it a full on go and let the children board on their own in the afternoon. The only worry would be if they went over to La Rosiere (by accident of course) and couldn't get back. My memory of La Thuile is that the pistes down to town are steep and icy. I supect you'd have to be very good to do them on a board.

Don't bother with the skis unless they want to abandon boarding altogether.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

2. Old snowboarders over 40yo look a bit tragic. Longevity is questionable.

I’ll take looking tragic over needing a ski trike
latest report
I think it's great for kids (and grownups too) to have a go at a range of things, and whether they become "excellent" or want to do it for 20 years is really pretty irrelevant. Mucking about on a snowboard at 58 might seem "tragic" to some, but it's nothing like as tragic as seeing an 11 year old absolutely devastated because they've come second in an event they wanted to win or didn't get a "Distinction" in their Grade 3 piano exam.

I didn't have a long career as a snowboarder, 'tis true. Am I bovvered?
snow report
Go on @pam w, what new thing are you learning/having a go at this year. I'm off for an ice climbing weekend in Gressoney
snow report
Italian, Theology, nothing very physically demanding, as I have heart failure, but I have sailed across the Channel (and done lots of more local sailing around here too) on a 35' yacht as the (believe it or not) youngest and most agile, member of a crew of 3, with an 89 year old skipper. This was last year, but we won that race. Cool

I have also got quite good at sourdough bread and improved my French.
snow conditions
@Bella2015, my two sons aged about 8 and 12, wanted to try snowboarding on our next holiday, after 3 or 4 years of skiing; we booked them a taster session at Chill Factore. That experience of being back to total beginners, convinced them that they DIDN’T want to snowboard after all, which saved a lot of hassle in resort.
ski holidays
Montan wrote:
@Bella2015, my two sons aged about 8 and 12, wanted to try snowboarding on our next holiday, after 3 or 4 years of skiing; we booked them a taster session at Chill Factore. That experience of being back to total beginners, convinced them that they DIDN’T want to snowboard after all, which saved a lot of hassle in resort.

My Son was similar.

He tried Snowboarding for one holiday, having done a similar amount of skiing and being a similar age to your youngest. He had a good instructor and quite enjoyed it....but went back to skiing the following year.
snow report
Any parents having kids snowboarding, are failed parents - That said, my wife have stated that she want to snowboard on our next trip - Obviously I have failed as a husband Shocked
snow report
Laughing
ski holidays
My daughter took up skiing. I refused to drive her up the mountain if she was going to ski.

We compromised with a splitboard and are now speaking again.

Live and let live with the kids. If they want to snowboard then let them and hope they enjoy it. No need to impose screwed up 1990’s prejudice on them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11 wrote:
My daughter took up skiing. I refused to drive her up the mountain if she was going to ski.

We compromised with a splitboard and are now speaking again.

Live and let live with the kids. If they want to snowboard then let them and hope they enjoy it. No need to impose screwed up 1990’s prejudice on them.

I feel that this was aimed at me, and fully justified - This was a bad joke from me Happy
snow report
DanishRider wrote:
Any parents having kids snowboarding, are failed parents - That said, my wife have stated that she want to snowboard on our next trip - Obviously I have failed as a husband Shocked

If you're quick you could just about get the divorce finalized before the trip?
snow conditions
JayRo wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

If you're quick you could just about get the divorce finalized before the trip?

Hold my beer …. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hmmmm... Of all the resorts where I teach, La Thuile is the only one where I get "returning skiers". That's to say, youngsters who have learned to ski, try snowboarding, and within a few days join my group wanting to ski again.

I think the issue is that the progression (as regards terrain to ski) in this resort is not great for snowboarders. The nursery slopes are fine. Once they are ready to progress, the next pistes up (11, 15) are plan flat. The next level after that requires a drag lift and has a piste with a steep-ish start (Gran Testa). There's nothing in between that's accessible.

If you did decide to do 'split days', @Bella2015, where they spend the mornings learning on the nursery slopes and the afternoons skiing, then I think the rental shop Only Ski may be amenable to you dropping back to the shop for a daily swap of gear. Despite their name, I think they do do boards as well as as skis and are on the edge of the nursery slopes so very accessible for the kids. Best you ski back to meet them there mid-day and then take the Les Suches gondola up to the main ski area. Give them a ring or message them and see what they can do for you.

You will be well placed in Planibel, with everything within a few minutes walk. It's a purpose-built complex but the refurbished flats are pretty nice to stay in and it's awfully convenient. Do take a walk (10 minutes) to the town proper evenings as it's quite a contrast and a rather beautiful village.

To dip into other Aosta resorts I think will be ambitious - if they do split days, you will be tied to La Thuile realistically. Getting over to La Rosiere will be marginal (but possible) during the afternoon if you are all reasonably strong skiers.
ski holidays
@Montan, yes we are planning to book some lessons in Hemel and l live in hope the result will be somewhat similar.. but on the other hand l am happy for them to try snowboarding properly this season, if they do decide it is for them! I think it is great to try new things @pam w,- you are an inspiration!!

@bobski62, do you happen to teach in La Thuile during the Xmas week… just in case they don’t want to snowboard the whole week?

Tbh I am thinking split days would be a bit much- we will hardly ski anywhere. Maybe we will let them do a couple of days of snowboarding- so 3-4 hours per day with a lunch break and then relax and wait for us ( last year we had a private ski instructor accompanying them for lunch and it worked well) . After this they can either continue snowboarding or join us for skiing. The issue of course will be how long and what instructor we should book ( are there instructors that could both snowboard and ski?)
snow report
As ever pam_w is spot on.
You need to commit to it for the week.
Letting them chip chop flip flop flim flam between the two is making a rod for your own back - it fosters an attitude that you can just give up on stuff when the going gets tough, and your parents will mop up the pieces.
That's great if you want them living at home with you when they're 52, because the real world is difficult and moving back in with mum and dad is easy. ( close family situation )
Our kids skied first, then learned to board, and 12 years later they are all still boarding.
Best idea is that you ALL commit to it for the week, even the adults and you have an amazing shared learning experience all together.
Most people get it by then end of day 3 - quicker if they've domed or dry-sloped it.
snow report
@OuatteDePhoque, thank you but l am definitely not planning on sacrificing my only ski holiday a year to learn something that l don’t think l am going to like or be ever good at… if kids want to try snowboarding fine by me! But l am skiing!
It’s all good and well teaching them some important life lessons but it is my holiday too , so maybe l will find another opportunity to be a better parent
snow conditions
I started with "learn to board in a day" at Hemel. Utterly knackering - especially as I was far older than anyone else in the class. The next few days my DOMS was acute - I was completely smashed. My purpose in the day was to discover whether I wanted to give snowboarding a proper go.

I am unconvinced by these "gotta be one thing or the other" merchants. My younger son, who spent several seasons cooking for rich people in the Alps, is highly competent on both skis and boards. He chooses his weapon according to the snow. Board when there's fresh snow. Skis when it's thin and icy. Though now, with young kids learning to ski, it's skis, with them. He had one of the worst ski crashes in his life at Easter - skiing backwards down a long blue home run, in front of his madcap 6 year old daughter, has three lessons and wanted to straightline everything. He was turning, telling her to follow his tracks, and paying no attention to anything else. I was following up as backstop behind the 11 year old, also beginner, but more controlled. I'd picked both the kids up once, before realising that there was a kerfuffle ahead of me but could see both the kids on their feet. Turned out the family champion skier had skied backwards into a deep melt hole around a snow cannon. It did have a pad on, but that didn't prevent his suffering really severely. He could scarcely lie down for days, and coughing, sneezing or laughing were agony. His wife insisted he saw a doctor who confirmed nothing serious but gave him a corset thing, which helped a lot. He mainlined ibuprofen and paracetamol. He didn't let on how bad it was till we were back at the gite. On a slightly steeper bit which freaked the 6 year old, after his crash, he had bent down and skied backwards in front of her, holding the tips of her skis. Must have been agony - he's a good dad. Apart from the beginner snowboarder who had very sore bum, his was the only injury in the week.

La Thuile does sound horrible for beginner boarders! But you have some good local knowledge here to guide you. Pila is not far away and might be a good awayday for them.

Some gofrit learners get boarding really fast. Far faster than skiing. I admire those young learners, as I admire the kids in the skate park. Bags of courage and sometimes great flair. I am a slow learner and need to understand, cognitively. My initial learning to sail a dinghy was from a book - I understood the basics before I stepped in a boat. I spent a very long dental appointment mentally changing heel/toe edges and boarding down a slope. Foot steering, which our Hemel instructor had touched on, and I had a good book. It helped hugely - just muscling the board round isn't the answer. But most 8 or 13 year old beginners are not going to be interested in the theory.
latest report
I'm also unconvinced by the people who say you can only do one or the other.. my youngest decided he wanted to board last year age 12 (good skier who started age 4). He's also sporty, quite brave (not quite fearless) and has decent balance and strength. He tried a private lesson at Hemel (did not love being a beginner) then tried in resort - took him three days to do blue and easy red runs. Now he will do a couple of days boarding but get skis to keep up with his sister and be able to explore tougher runs. We have indulged him doing both because just like the boy upthread he's tempted by video gaming these days and anything that keeps him active is good! Also I ski (not very good and very cautiously) and his dad boards (very fast and fearlessly) so I'm happy he gets to do both.
ski holidays
Hi again @Bella2015,

Quote:

@bobski62, do you happen to teach in La Thuile during the Xmas week…

I base myself in Tignes for the season and head over to Italy to teach during February and Easter - Tignes is usually mobbed at those times whereas the Aosta valley is generally a lot quieter. Outside of those peak periods I'm too passionate for the sport to give up skiing with friends and for my own enjoyment and delectation!

Quote:

are there instructors that could both snowboard and ski?

Yes, for sure: at least half of the snowboard instructors I know are dual qualified and happy to also teach skiing. It's harder to get work if you are only qualified for snowboard. Conversely, from chatting to a friend who's just completing his full-cert in the the French system, I got the impression they are now making a snowboard test mandatory to qualify as a ski instructor.
ski holidays
Quote:

sporty, quite brave (not quite fearless)

perfect. You really DON'T want fearless wink
snow report
@bobski62, We love Tignes . Have been several times. Ok maybe we will try to find an instructor who doesn’t mind switching half way and see how they do
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy