Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Iraq

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone on here skied in Iraq?

Such as Mount Halgurd.

https://airmail.news/issues/2023-3-4/double-black-diamond-in-the-rough

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Article is paywalled.

Was supposed to have a day skiing in Iran many years ago while but ran out of time thanks to Tehran traffic.

Kurdistan has been a safe area of Iraq for many years. If you want to head out that way though there seem to be better options from a purely skiing viewpoint (Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, and even Turkey seems to be getting pretty popular.

New resorts are getting built in Uzbekistan. There is serious talk of a big new resort for Kyrgyzstan -
http://youtube.com/v/6KDeiplnUe8&feature=youtu.be

Tajikistan has a lot of potential although so undeveloped. Right now any ski trip would be more at the exploratory/expedition level.

Bamyan area of Afghanistan was the new cool place to go a while ago, but don't seem to hear about it much any more (even before Taliban took control, although from what I've heard the situation is even safer these days). There used to be a well made guide ebook to the area available free online with lots of photos. Looked pretty decent, although seemed like you really needed a jeep to get you to the start of any of the uptracks.

I'll be out in Kyrgyzstan again this year. Not quite sure how long for yet, but will try and post a bit about it. Previous trip here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158581&highlight=
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Non-paywall

https://archive.md/ttviE
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boarder2020

Nice one.

Iraq has high novelty value. Skiing thru a landmine zone always adds extra spice.

Zagros Mountains look steep enuf for a blast. A slight pain getting kit there and back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=4pOOxTm1kzg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Novelty is never high on my priority.

For anyone who’s not into the exotic culture, what do these mountains offer in skiing that are different from the main stream? Apart from the thrill of the land mine, that is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fresh tracks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
Novelty is never high on my priority.

For anyone who’s not into the exotic culture, what do these mountains offer in skiing that are different from the main stream? Apart from the thrill of the land mine, that is.

If your focus is 100% skiing it's hard to beat BC. Other than perhaps chamonix for the right person or Japan for those looking for maximum powder. I'd always recommend them over the likes of Iraq and Iran if your focus is solely best skiing, but that doesn't mean there isn't excellent skiing to be had in places like Georgia and kyrgyzstan. I don't think too many people's focus is 100% skiing though - they like an element of novelty and culture (although I'd agree the amount of that does vary).

To try and answer your question:

Ime a significant number going to Kyrgyzstan are older Swiss/Austrian/German. They want somewhere that reminds them of the Swiss Alps before they were developed. (Kyrgyzstan isn't called the Switzerland of Central Asia for no reason!). They just like the quiet completely undeveloped ski touring. Most of them are not big on "exotic culture" and travelling in general, or looking to ski anything particularly steep. They have skiing on their doorstep back home, but nothing offers the remote undeveloped experience.

Some go for the cheap cat skiing - $100 per day including a guide for a seat in the cat.

Some like the exploration/adventure. It's kind of cool knowing you are probably the first person to ever ski a line. When there's no guidebook everyday is a bit of an adventure.

Personally I like the fact I can stay in a little village at 2200m with 360 degree touring options direct from my door up to 3500m. Plenty of snow, and zero competition for fresh tracks. I'm not there because it's "exotic" or for novelty. It fits my interests and budget. If you can tell me somewhere that offers the same in a mainstream place I'd happily consider switching.

Granted a lot of these places certainly aren't for everyone. If you don't tour and want the best resort skiing you need to be in the mainstream places.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @boarder2020, you answered my question.

It’s not really for me then. I’m not very adventurous when it comes to skiing. I’m more of a summer person. Skiing is to pass the time till summer comes around.

While I’m not much into the novelty part. I do like variety. So it’s possible that I may find myself over there, however unlikely.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was planning a trip to Iran this year as it's close enough for a long weekend from the UAE. Put it on the back burner with the current tensions.

Georgia is a bit bland.

Tempted by Gulmarg at some point once the kids get a bit older.

Again all of this is because it is a shorter distance for me to travel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pretty exotic, but a bit risky for my taste.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
afterski wrote:

Georgia is a bit bland.

Not in my experience

Great resort - Gudauri
Great snow
Easy touring for big lines
Fabulous food & drink
Lovely people
Lively nightlife
Excellent value for money

http://youtube.com/v/Cd9oFhlVD6g
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely video of a treat we rarely get - however skiing in straight lines in deep powder is funny and cold - good for a run or two rather than something I would want to travel far to experience. Mind if you can guarantee this level of powder and those other things I'm game!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boarder2020, superbly said.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@afterski, i can't recommend Iran enough as a place to visit in general. Lots of history, good food, great people. Naqsh-e Jahan Square is a particular highlight.

@Mike Pow, Georgia does look fantastic. But is Gudauri really a "great" resort? Put it in the Alps or Colorado and would it be considered one of the top places? I think for the vast majority looking for pure resort skiing (no touring or backcountry) it would be impossible to recommend Gudauri over the likes of whistler, Banff, big euro resorts etc. Ofcourse if you want a good resort with a different type of cultural experience, maybe combined with a little sightseeing stopover in Istanbul which is a great city Gudauri may tick the boxes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020 wrote:
@afterski, i can't recommend Iran enough as a place to visit in general. Lots of history, good food, great people. Naqsh-e Jahan Square is a particular highlight.

@Mike Pow, Georgia does look fantastic. But is Gudauri really a "great" resort? Put it in the Alps or Colorado and would it be considered one of the top places? I think for the vast majority looking for pure resort skiing (no touring or backcountry) it would be impossible to recommend Gudauri over the likes of whistler, Banff, big euro resorts etc. Ofcourse if you want a good resort with a different type of cultural experience, maybe combined with a little sightseeing stopover in Istanbul which is a great city Gudauri may tick the boxes.

Not skied Gudauri, but thanks to Mike Pow, I am warming to the prospect! Now on THE LIST! Very Happy
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:

Does it compare with places like Whistler, Banff, Verbier, Val d'Isere etc?

In terms of pure quantity and variety of terrain, then absolutely not.

But they come at a price

If big vertical with a decent pitch and almost no competition for powder at under 20 euros a day is your thing, then Gudauri is it

And Tbilisi is the sightseeing city to see
ski holidays
pisteoff wrote:
Lovely video of a treat we rarely get - however skiing in straight lines in deep powder is funny and cold - good for a run or two rather than something I would want to travel far to experience. Mind if you can guarantee this level of powder and those other things I'm game!

I'm turning, just not much

I'm skiing the mountain and the snow conditions not a predetermined turn shape and radius

With skis 115mm in the tip and 84mm underfoot the turn shape is subtle when it's waist deep and deeper

And this is inbounds right under the lift

It was like this for 3 days, then the sun came out and it was boot top to knee deep for 5 days

I loved every second of it and would gladly fly 3-4 hrs more to get it again Smile
latest report
@Mike Pow, If Europe had bad snow last season, then Georgia was horrendous.... All that powder is all well and good if you get lucky on your pre determined week. The snow making that your bigger Euro resorts offer means a lot when you are planning a long way in advance though.

I've had days like that in Euro resorts too. Just got lucky....
snow conditions
afterski wrote:
@Mike Pow, If Europe had bad snow last season, then Georgia was horrendous.... All that powder is all well and good if you get lucky on your pre determined week. The snow making that your bigger Euro resorts offer means a lot when you are planning a long way in advance though.

I've had days like that in Euro resorts too. Just got lucky....

That's why I don't book a long way in advance

We book the time off work, then choose the resort with the best snow conditions one week to one day out
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Sorry, wasn't criticising the technique, which looks slick! And it does look gorgeous. I guess my comment was a little from @afterski, 's perspective - wish we could guarantee powder like that. Mind Georgia does sound like a great adventure. As does the Ukraine, wonder whether that will become possible soon? I bet they want tourists.
latest report
pisteoff wrote:
@Mike Pow, Sorry, wasn't criticising the technique, which looks slick! And it does look gorgeous. I guess my comment was a little from @afterski, 's perspective - wish we could guarantee powder like that. Mind Georgia does sound like a great adventure. As does the Ukraine, wonder whether that will become possible soon? I bet they want tourists.

No problem

Wouldn't we all

Hokkaido is the only place I'd book 6-12 months out

Yes Ukraine looks great

Was going to head that way but then the war intervened
snow report
@Mike Pow, I'd love that, however that sort of seat of the pants experience is not the way my wife prefers to operate.
snow report
@boarder2020, my wife travelled there a few years ago to visit a distributor. She had a glass of wine in hand in his apartment within 30 mins of getting off the flight.
ski holidays
afterski wrote:
@Mike Pow, I'd love that, however that sort of seat of the pants experience is not the way my wife prefers to operate.

Yeah it's not for everyone

But it's afforded us great skiing wherever we've gone

Not always powder, but certainly plenty of snow under our skis
ski holidays
Anyway, back on track

Was on stage with James at the National Snow Show in Birmingham

Very interesting

Knows his stuff

https://untamedborders.com/
snow report