Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mens Ski Pants Length Problem

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps I'm a little bit short or even a bit tubby,
but I always find ski pants a little bit longer than I need or a bit tighter than I like.

If it was a normal pair of trousers I could have them "taken up" no bother, but as we know its a bit more complicated with ski pants.

But why am I the wrong shape?
Or are ski pants aimed at taller or slimmer people .. probably Dutch, probably athletic types?

And this is the problem before I start on what colour I want Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DrLawn, "why am I the wrong shape" made me laugh. I've often thought that but it is not me (or you). The manufacturers work to averages for obvious reasons. I'm a large on the waist but that means the legs are too long. I'm 1.7m tall and I reckon Large sizes are made for 1.8m and long legs. I've just bought a Patagonia waterproof, I would normally buy a large but SnR suggested going up a size as Patagonia are on the small size. So, I bought an XL, which is fine in the body (I think) but the sleeves are too long.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. A pro seamstress or tailor can hem up the skipants. It's easy.

2. Cosmetic height surgery (leg-lengthening) can add up to 6in of height.

3. Stick hemtape on the inner-leg material. Don't scorch any coatings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=vW0lniHAQTg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, I buy female ski trouses - works for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is a good job that my wife doesn't read these threads, leg length in ladies trousers is her pet irritation.
On one occasion the young manager in a Snow & Rock must have bitterly regretted asking my wife if there was anything she could help with.
Poor young lass got the full treatment on leg length technical choice and then the colour.
Us ladies can have black, black or black.......in a leg length that is too long.
Young manager ran for cover......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Luckily I have a very good tailor.

He shortened a pair of ski pants by 3" while still keeping the zips and snow cuffs over my ski boots. He also managed to remove a zip on "detachable bib" and sewed the braces back onto the ski pants.

It is easier to buy pants that have the right waist size but are too long in the leg. It is more difficult to try to let out the waist because there probably won't be enough material to do this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, @halfhand, but for ski pants or technical shells you want enough leg length to cope with bending your legs while skiing and long enough sleeves that they don't expose ski when reaching out for that tricky handhold I appreciate @halfhand, that your patagucci might not be so technical but I suspect they, to a degree, only use one template?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
welshflyer wrote:
Luckily I have a very good tailor.

He shortened a pair of ski pants by 3" while still keeping the zips and snow cuffs over my ski boots. He also managed to remove a zip on "detachable bib" and sewed the braces back onto the ski pants.

It is easier to buy pants that have the right waist size but are too long in the leg. It is more difficult to try to let out the waist because there probably won't be enough material to do this.

I also had a good tailor -- Instead of messing about with the snow cuffs/zip she shortened the leg by adjusting around the knee area.... (don't ask me how !!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled
(J Alfred Prufrock)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hyst wrote:
@DrLawn, I buy female ski trouses - works for me.

And there lies the problem with women’s ski trousers - they are cut for men rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if there's not also a wider variety of body shapes now people are mostly a lot bigger.

A thought experiment could be ... in 1980 two UK people of a given height would have had a leg length which in most cases was relative to waist size. So it would be easy to fit them most of the time. If one of those people then eats fast food and the other doesn't... now you have people with the same leg length, but with radically different waist sizes. You inflate your sizing to make the larger one feel better, but one of them has a "leg length" problem unless you still make the old sizes as well as the new.

Find someone who can sew?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@phil_w, haha

Also a few brands do short, regular and long leg lengths ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DrLawn, I always had the same problem (34w, 29 leg) but last season I found that Schöffel do short/regular/long leg lengths and the short fit me just nicely.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, As a short female skier, I always have an issue with ski pant lengths. I recently found this online shop and ordered a pair of Dare2Be ski pants in short length and they fit perfectly. They also offer men's trousers in short lengths. Could be easier than getting a longer pair tailored to fit.

https://theshortskishop.com/products/click-here-for-all-mens-short-leg-pants
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you @jonm, (Grutsi)
& Thank you @FionaG,

I know where I can try on a pair of Schöffels, I'll see wha they can do .. Then I can hint at them for a christmas prezzi.
snow conditions
I’m short. Ski trousers are generally too long. I don’t care. I put them on and the scrunch a bit at the bottom. That’s never caused the snow to melt or the coffee or beer to taste bad. Smile
snow report
I buy Schoffel ski pants as they do a short in most waist sizes.
snow conditions
@sbooker, I'm taking my brand new long ski pants around to an "Alerterations" lady tomorrow to see if she can work some magic on them. I'll have to have 3" amputated from them to stop them soaking up all that beer sloping around on the bar floor.

@albob, I won't ask you how but I'll see if mine will do that for me. At least that will save the integrity of all that stuff around the ankle.

I went for a pair of Elevenate pants in the end. The inseam is 33" at the moment.
snow report
As you're already sorted it's a tad late, but most of salomon's pants are advertised as able to be shortened by 3 inches or so . I think they also sell some in short/regular/long.
latest report
Quote:

I'll have to have 3" amputated from them to stop them soaking up all that beer sloping around on the bar floor.

I would be astonished if you wasted a single drop of beer Very Happy
latest report
I'm in the same boat and there are a few brands that do short legs

Mammut do most models in a short leg, but only in black. They also do a 15% discount if you signup to their newsletter

Others do a limited number of models. For ski pants, have a look at Arcteryx Sabre & Rab's Khroma Diffuse
snow conditions
Hi everyone, I am a short guy about 5'5" but pretty stocky with broad shoulders at about 190-200lbs (85-90kgs) I wear a 33/34 waist pant but find 30inch inseam pants (jeans etc.) are too long so probably need 28-29 inseam. I also have a massive problem getting jackets that fit properly. If it works for my chest and shoulders the arms and body length is just way too long and let's not talk about mid layers with a high zipped neck that pretty much asphyxiate me if it is zipped all the way up.

For the last 25+ years I have pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that the ski industry just makes clothes for tall (maybe normal height) guys but reading through a few forums it seams to be that there is quite a lot of guys like me around.

My wife also has challenges finding ski clothes that fit properly but for a different reason. She is 5'4" and has been a fitness instructor for the last 33 years so has very well developed calves, quads, and glutes with a super narrow waist and well muscled shoulders and upper arms. (Champagne problems and Yes I am punching above my weight for sure). Pants that fit her legs and butt are way too big in the waist so she has to belt it all in that results in loads of bunching of fabric around her waist with is uncomfortable. Also getting ski jackets that have enough room for her guns is almost impossible.

We both also have the same problem with pretty much all technical clothing for out outdoor pursuits which is where we spend most of our time.

Long story but now to come to my point. We are seriously thinking of starting a company that produces high quality technical clothing that fits short guys like me and girls that have curves and look hot and I would love to hear if there are enough people out there that would want to buy our gear. It will look awesome and be super high quality and functional. I spend half my time in the back country so what ever gear I use has to work and keep me alive and my wife likes to look good in resort so what ever she wears has to be both functional, fashionable and comfortable.

This is my question. If we make it, will you buy it?

Thanks in advance for all your sensible comments, I am sure they will help guide us.
latest report
@CK_Mountainlife,
[This is my question. If we make it, will you buy it?]

Well....as a 5'3" lady with a pear-shaped figure I've already resorted to making my own ski jacket, and alterating any pair of salopettes I've owned both in waist and length dimensions.
The snow gaiter adjustment is awkward and i usually remove any leg zips if present as i can't be bothered to resite them. Therefore I won't require your services wink

It's a complete PITA that this industry and the outdoor one doesn't accommodate "different" sizing away from "standard" but that's capitalism for you.
Good luck in your venture and keep us posted.
Someone once asked why I wasn't in the bespoke clothing business and I replied with "Would you pay me £150 or more for a pair of made-to-measure trousers?"
The reply was "No! That's way too expensive! "
My reply "You have your answer then - no-one will pay me what its worth in my time and effort ".

The pic is me in my homemade Goretex insulated jacket with detachable helmet compatible hood. It is built for my larger- than-average hips and I added reflective strips for any night skiing. There are 8 pockets in plus a ski pass pocket on arm. Doubled- ended zip (absolutely essential! ).
I also constructed arm stormcuffs and drawcord waist and hem. Very Happy
ski holidays
@TJToms, Thanks for you quick response.
Awesome Jacket! You can never have too many pockets Ha ha.
Blows my mind that people will pay $300 for gear that doesn't fit but wont pay $200 for custom made because it doesn't have a fancy brand label attached to it.
snow report
@CK_Mountainlife, Has your wife looked at brands that make race warmup jackets and pants?
ski holidays
CK_Mountainlife wrote:
Hi everyone, I am a short guy about 5'5" but pretty stocky with broad shoulders at about 190-200lbs (85-90kgs) I wear a 33/34 waist pant but find 30inch inseam pants (jeans etc.) are too long so probably need 28-29 inseam. I also have a massive problem getting jackets that fit properly. If it works for my chest and shoulders the arms and body length is just way too long and let's not talk about mid layers with a high zipped neck that pretty much asphyxiate me if it is zipped all the way up.

For the last 25+ years I have pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that the ski industry just makes clothes for tall (maybe normal height) guys but reading through a few forums it seams to be that there is quite a lot of guys like me around.

My wife also has challenges finding ski clothes that fit properly but for a different reason. She is 5'4" and has been a fitness instructor for the last 33 years so has very well developed calves, quads, and glutes with a super narrow waist and well muscled shoulders and upper arms. (Champagne problems and Yes I am punching above my weight for sure). Pants that fit her legs and butt are way too big in the waist so she has to belt it all in that results in loads of bunching of fabric around her waist with is uncomfortable. Also getting ski jackets that have enough room for her guns is almost impossible.

We both also have the same problem with pretty much all technical clothing for out outdoor pursuits which is where we spend most of our time.

Long story but now to come to my point. We are seriously thinking of starting a company that produces high quality technical clothing that fits short guys like me and girls that have curves and look hot and I would love to hear if there are enough people out there that would want to buy our gear. It will look awesome and be super high quality and functional. I spend half my time in the back country so what ever gear I use has to work and keep me alive and my wife likes to look good in resort so what ever she wears has to be both functional, fashionable and comfortable.

This is my question. If we make it, will you buy it?

Thanks in advance for all your sensible comments, I am sure they will help guide us.

From experience … you should wear ladies trousers and she wear men’s !

A few years back after an accident one skiing holiday, I’ve had to dry out one day so I had to borrow a spare pair of ladies ski bottoms. They were an excellent fit for my 33/34 waist and 29 leg !
snow report
@DrLawn, Arcteryx do 3x inner leg lengths for both dwarves and giants in all sizes - namely regular / short and tall eg for a Medium (for example which is a 34" waist) short has an inner leg dimension of 30.5" / reg 32.5" / tall 35"

If your a bit rotund XL (40" waist) & XXL (44" waist) have the same inner leg at 31.5" . . . .
ski holidays
Thanks @Belch,
I'm sorted now, I had a seamstress shorten the legs, great job.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belch wrote:
@DrLawn, Arcteryx do 3x inner leg lengths for both dwarves and giants in all sizes - namely regular / short and tall eg for a Medium (for example which is a 34" waist) short has an inner leg dimension of 30.5" / reg 32.5" / tall 35"

If your a bit rotund XL (40" waist) & XXL (44" waist) have the same inner leg at 31.5" . . . .

This was my solution this year however the waist sizing is a complete work of fiction. I wear 30" trousers so ordered small which is 81cm waste or 32" in the short. I could bearly get them on over a pair of merino leggings. Had to return them and get the medium which is supposedly a 86cm/34" waist and they fit nicely with SkiMojo's on, though I would say the fly zip is too short which makes getting them on a bit of a faff. They don't have braces so needed to arrange for those. A normal pair of 34" waist trousers would fall off me even with a belt.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/sabre-pant

Pricey but my last pair were purchased in 2007 so if they last as long the per trip rate will be acceptable.
snow conditions
@jabuzzard, Agree Arc sizing is a little random - I ordered Sabre in both L & XL for this very reason; but free delivery and returns with no aggro means its worthwhile. Agree the crotch on Sabre pants is not ideal for us pythons (!!) and I'm more of an adder in reality . . . . Very Happy Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy