Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shin Bang

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Recently acquired Scarpa Quattro SL boots. Fit is generally good and they ski well. Only bummer is some shin bang. Towards the lateral side of the shins. I have never had shin bang before. Been in Dynafit Zzeros w/ Intuitions for the last 15 years.
I am not skiing backseat, not moving around in the boots or anything. It's just that my shins respectively the tissue next to it get some too concentrated pressure around the top centimeters of the boot shaft.
Boot flex is also a fair bit stiffer than what I am used to.

Any ideas how to remedy the bang?
Any experiences or concepts how to soften the initial flex of the boot?
Boosters are already installed and silicone pads are being worn.
Liner tongues did not seem to have molded any during the heat molding process. Redo the tongues with a heat gun?

thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you gain or lose weight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gained a few kg in the last 1,5 yrs. From amateur cyclist lean to normal, 76->83 at 187cm height. Old boots behave just as last year, no issues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe loosen off the top buckles a bit and let the booster take the strain progressively?

I was going to suggest a booster as it cured shin bang on my old boots. I found I could run them looser without losing control.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 3-11-23 8:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@danbre2022, normally shin issues like this are due to a few common things

1 what footbed is in the boot/ is it supporting your foot in a good functioning position
2 how is the your ankle joint range of motion, this can cause stress to the anterior muscles of your shin, so good flexibility and strengthening the anterior muscles might help
3 alignment of the leg, if the shaft of the leg isn't centered in the cuff of the boot it could be that twisting force, no cuff adjustment to make but you can use some foam padding to fill voids and trick the leg into being more centered

softening flex is not likely to do much as it is a specific point of pressure, possibly adding some material to make the boot taller and spread the pressure away from that point might help, but all guesses without seeing the foot and boot
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi CEM, thanks for your input!
1: custom footbed, foot is securely in place
2: ROM is fine. The bang is definitely from an actual pressure hot spot
3: I am already at 12mm of stiff foam..but this might still be it. Knees still track slight inwards, rotating the shins inward and thus exposing the lateral section of the shins to the pressure. Lack of cuff alignment is a pain in AT boots.

I am on the verge of giving up on this boot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I still have dated but "newish" boots that function without trouble, so I am not hard pressed, fortunately.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Change in weight = change in leg-shape.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@danbre2022, who fitted them?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy